Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new so first of all let me tell you how glad I am to have found this forum. My father bought me an IS a couple of months ago so I'm starting to customize. My questions are:
I bought a Clarion vrx-610 6.5 in. LCD and I am not sure how I am going to mount it. It doesn't have a built in dvd player so originally I was going to mount both the screen and the dvd player in the dash. The problem is I can't find a 2din dash kit with 2 slots for two different devices. Does anyone know where I could find something like this online? Also, living in a small, southern Oklahoma town really limits "custom installers" although I did talk to a guy here in town that says he could actually make a custom dash mount. After hearing this, I didn't realize it until I made it home, but if he can make a dash mount, would a single din unit fit in the center pocket on the dash? (keep in mind that 2004's have a deeper pocket and a lid that covers it.) This would allow me to keep the factory look (and the 6 disc changer).
If anyone has seen something different or just want to drop me an idea I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jearod

·
8,827 Posts
JDM Dash kit will be the best fit, as it provides double-din interface and is made from the same plastic as the rest of the interior.
The downside is that if the car comes with heated seats, 2 buttons need to be moved. The best spot for it is left of the steering wheel, replacing coin-holders.

Here is a picture of my JDM kit being customized to hold 7" VGA LCD screen.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Vlad.. do the slots have to be manually cut out of the dash kit? I've noticed pictures of the dashkit with the area covered up with. (no hole) or does it unscrew from the back of the kit??

I hope my question makes sense.... :-?

·
8,827 Posts
There is a plastic cover that is held by 3 screws. The reason for it is the strereo system being optional for Toyota Altezza, which the kit is made for.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
ahh.. I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

so, the entire piece comes out to hold a headunit that is the size of a double-din.

I was looking into that dash kit, so when I install my single-din headunit, the monitor can still flip up, and not block any of the A/C~Heat controls.

Thanks for the info!! :D

·
8,827 Posts
You're welcome.
The kit itself does not hold any headunits. It is simply a cover. Stock mounting is used for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vlad:
thanks for the info. The 7in screen is awesome, wish I would have known that before I bought the Clarion. That was custom made though, correct? And where could I find the JDM kit?
Thanks,
Jearod

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
vlad_a said:
JDM Dash kit will be the best fit, as it provides double-din interface and is made from the same plastic as the rest of the interior.
The downside is that if the car comes with heated seats, 2 buttons need to be moved. The best spot for it is left of the steering wheel, replacing coin-holders.

Here is a picture of my JDM kit being customized to hold 7" VGA LCD screen.
Looks hot! When do you think your car-pc kit will be completed?

Oh, and this may be a stupid question, but...
Say I've got "your" car-pc unit with a 7" touchscreen in the JDM kit.
Is there software that would allow for FM radio functionality as well as the other crazy stuff?

·
8,827 Posts
^^^^
Anything can be added, FM Radio, TV-Tuner, XM Radio, Bluetooth. There is a ton of things available. That is the beauty of it. The system has 8 USB 2.0 devices. If that is not enough, they can always be expanded. I have also incorporated stabilized output of 12V and 5V when the system is powered up so that devices that need external power can be used.

As far as the completion date, it has been pushed back too many times. :pissed: Even though I have most of the necessary hardware stocked up, it is the machine shop working with our enclosure CAD designs that sets me back this time. I will give them another visit tonight. They are promising to to be able to produce units right after holidays. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahem.....thanks for the help guys
as i was asking, is the pocket on the dash (in a 2004 IS) deep and wide enough to install a 1 DIN unit? If it is, I am mounting my Clarion screen up there, keeping the six disc changer (with a clarion FM modulator for the screen), and mounting a small dvd player in the glove compartment.
Any thoughts?
Jearod

·
8,827 Posts
^^^^
It has been done before. Check out Sony's XPLOD site. After they figured out that Ford Focus wasn't a great show vehicle :roll: , guess what they used for the next one. 8)
Click here for XPLOD's Lexus demo.

·
8,827 Posts
rollinlexus said:
vlad:
thanks for the info. The 7in screen is awesome, wish I would have known that before I bought the Clarion. That was custom made though, correct? And where could I find the JDM kit?
Thanks,
Jearod
Missed your first reply. :oops:

I used a 7" Touchscreen LCD and worked around it to make it fit into the JDM housing. Since the monitor was siliver in color and to make future fitment easier, I ordered a batch of faceplates in black color based on what I originally cut out.

I got JDM kit for another member. I am not able to reach him via PM anymore. I e-mailed Carson Toyota and Steve said he's working on finding out availability of them. Someone mentioned here something about Jan'04.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.