Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm new to the forum here. I used to own an 03 Acura TL Type S. Got into a huge wreck and now she's totaled. I'm looking into a few other cars that may be comparable to its performance. I had an AEM Cold Air Intake and I removed exhaust resonator. I have springs sitting at home about to be installed until I got into a wreck. The trunk was debaged and the holes were sealed and resprayed.

I'm interested in a rwd with decent power. Before I bought my TL-S i testdrove an 03 IS300 i did not like the weak torque and poor acceleration. The 215 horse did not prove worthy competition against an 03 TL-S with 260 horse and 216lbs of torque. Now since I have wrecked my TL and I doubt insurance will give me enough to buy another one, I've begun to take interest in a rwd jap sedan. Curiously, how much would it take to install a turbo into an IS? What are the performance gains?

I saw that headers, pipe, and exhaust push the IS up about 15 horses with torque to 208 lbs. It would put up a good fight against the TLS but eventually the TL would take advantage with its higher horses.

Thanks for your help. I love the IS design and style but I am a little disappointed at its performance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The TL-S smokes the IS as far as straight-line performance is concerned. I mean, really smokes. On the other hand, the IS is much tighter, RWD is a huge plus, tires are much better, and build quality is much better. I know this well because I own an IS and my best buddy owns an '03 TL-S.

·
Registered
385 Posts
nolimitazns said:
I'm interested in a rwd with decent power. Before I bought my TL-S i testdrove an 03 IS300 i did not like the weak torque and poor acceleration. The 215 horse did not prove worthy competition against an 03 TL-S with 260 horse and 216lbs of torque. Now since I have wrecked my TL and I doubt insurance will give me enough to buy another one, I've begun to take interest in a rwd jap sedan. Curiously, how much would it take to install a turbo into an IS? What are the performance gains?

Thanks for your help. I love the IS design and style but I am a little disappointed at its performance.
G35 is rwd & faster.

Anyways, as much as you're disappointed in the IS' power, I'm disappointed in the TL Type-S' handling & braking. According to Consumer Reports testing, the TL Type-S was outslalomed by & had longer braking distances than: IS300, 330i, G35, A4 3.0 awd, C320, & X-Type 3.0

Basically, in the most unbiased test, the TL Type-S is last in performance except power. Even the C320 & X-Type 3.0 outslalomed it & had better braking distances.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
nolimitazns said:
Now since I have wrecked my TL and I doubt insurance will give me enough to buy another one, I've begun to take interest in a rwd jap sedan.
If insurance is not going to give you enough to replace your TL how do you expect to get an IS that cost more? maybe the RSX would be a good car in your price range.

·
Registered
114 Posts
IS300 vs Acura

An Acura is FWD faux sports sedan

The try only true sports sedans in this price range are:
IS300
325i - too many of them although with 5sp and sport package it's a nice little car
G35 - haven't driven one unfortunately

Audi A4, Maxima, TL-S are cars from women or people who don't like to drive.

·
Registered
476 Posts
nolimitazns said:
Before I bought my TL-S i testdrove an 03 IS300 i did not like the weak torque and poor acceleration. The 215 horse did not prove worthy competition against an 03 TL-S with 260 horse and 216lbs of torque.
You can tell the difference b/w 1 ft/lb of torque?!? Impressive

If you can afford to spend around 35k...do yourself a favor and test drive the G35c. As someone said...also take a spin in a manual 325i (similarly priced). After you drive the G35c, 325i, IS300 you won't ever want to touch a Maxima :lol: .

And when you're test driving...don't just gun it in a straight line! Hit some corners :D

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
nolimitazns said:
hey guys i'm new to the forum here. I used to own an 03 Acura TL Type S. Got into a huge wreck and now she's totaled. I'm looking into a few other cars that may be comparable to its performance. I had an AEM Cold Air Intake and I removed exhaust resonator. I have springs sitting at home about to be installed until I got into a wreck. The trunk was debaged and the holes were sealed and resprayed.

I saw that headers, pipe, and exhaust push the IS up about 15 horses with torque to 208 lbs. It would put up a good fight against the TLS but eventually the TL would take advantage with its higher horses.

horsepower aint shit if you cant put it down..

i repeatedly kill my friend in his type S around the cloverleaf entering work... I can get back on the gas WAY before he can since he is FWD...

Im already shifting into 3rd gear by the time he is getting back on the throttle

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
hey i was in the same situation as you...haha...i totalled my 03 TL-S and now i have an IS. both are great cars in different respects...

and btw, the TL-S and IS with all options costs about the same...the IS actually is cheaper if you dont need all the options (leather, heated seats, nav, etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
also looking like you were

I looked at TL's as well, Maximas for a second or so, and BMW's (I know I know..) IS' came with the whole package. My previous car was a 350 whp Eclipse gsx.

Needed something different for a family I decided that the is300 had the best balance of everything, and it will be a lot of cars on the road should you get into a grudge match. Especially with a few mods and a 5spd. But its up to you, all anyone replying can do is tell you there thinking.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: IS300 vs Acura

griffmac said:
An Acura is FWD faux sports sedan

The try only true sports sedans in this price range are:
IS300
325i - too many of them although with 5sp and sport package it's a nice little car
G35 - haven't driven one unfortunately

Audi A4, Maxima, TL-S are cars from women or people who don't like to drive.
You get the dumbass of the dayaward!!! :roll: :roll: That was about the stupidest thing i heard all day!! :shame:

·
Registered
6 Posts
what griffmac wrote:

I think all those cars could be decent in their own right given the proper look.

I had 2 maximas before my Eclipse and loved them both. Good for fwd at least. Audi's I really don't care a lot about, the TL's are a slightly higher end Maxima in my mind.

Anyone agree?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
1SICKLEX said:
This is just a summary of all the previous posts (sorry its so Long) if I've missed something, please add:

Summary List of Early build Flaws

6MT

1. Popping out of gear (mostly 1st) (some replaced 1st gear, main and counter shaft)
2. Difficulty getting tranny into 2nd and 4th gears

5AT/NAV and 6MT

1. Vibrations at 35 and 55
2. Memory in Seats lost for no apparent reason
3. software upgrade for misfires instead of coil pack replacement
4. Glove box rattle, warped or misaligned.
5. Re-calibrated Crankshaft position sensor
6. stuck thermostat valve
7. Hood misaligned
8. trim areas not flush
9. door handle inserts missing
10. rattle in sun visor housing when open or closed
11. ‘headliner’ not flush with trim
12. ‘parcel tray’ rattle with loud music near subwoofer (never heard it called the parcel tray)
13. ‘click’ when applying brakes (hear this in other Hondas)
14. Plastic ‘wiper’ inside door frame scratches tinted windows (need felt)
15. Sulfur or rotten egg smell with hard acceleration
16. Steering wheel alignment off on delivery and also after delivery and driving
17. MID flashing at high RPMs
18. Butt wrinkle/padding in seats
19. Miles to empty not accurate in MID – possibly gas guage not accurate (fewer posts on this)
20. Engine shifting to overdrive too soon for engine speed
21. Parking brake out of adjustment – too loose (car uses gear instead of the e-brake=parking brake) up or down hill.
22. Carpet out of drivers door trim
23. A-piller sticking out from trim/buckling/bubling
24. Center dash speaker cover rattle
25. Other isolated trim issues (one time occurances)
26. Rear quarter panel where window meets trunk – WELD Mark
27. Driver side wind noise
28. NO Heat (mentioned twice)
29. Outside temp read off

Below is an early list in the thread (many similar to above);

1. Headliner on drivers side is in contact with windshield so it clicks over bumps (2 known cases) – Dealer found broken mounting clips, repaired other case was fixed with felt
2. Drivers door leather was not tucked in near aluminum trim, reinserted it.
3. Steering wheel is off to right, car tracks straight, wheel needs adjustment, dealer did not fix.
4. Parking brake is out of adjustment, have to pull to top to get it to not rely on transmission. Dealer repaired, but within 2 days out of adjustment again, need to re-adjust, especially noticeable on a downhill incline.
5. Outside temperature reading in MID is about 8 degrees high (even after driving), after dealer fix, now 7 degrees off.
6. Driver’s window vibrates at top when fully closed (if down slightly, it is ok). Dealer adjusted window regulator (others have complained about this)
7. About 8 paint defects (small, very small imperfections, such as particles or dust under clear coat) and one scratch near lower black grill near center of car.
8. Rear deck rattled (many complaints of this) with radio on – fixed with foam at center of deck where it meets rear window as it was vibrating against window.
9. Gaps inconsistent in hood to fender fit, both sides, and drivers front fender to headlight. Also, plastic rocker molding on drivers side was about ½” in behind front wheel
10. Leather wrinkles on lower seat bolster in outboard position (not only one to indicate this) – regional says this is normal. Treated the leather this last weekend.
11. Butt print on seat bottom (many complaints)
12. Vibration in car at different speeds (not only one to complain) – dealer rebalanced tires, better, but regional said with these low profile tires, when cold, they are slightly out of round, and when heated, it will go away (I have seen this also, and there was another post on this. Not sure if tranny related.
13. Glove box rattled (other complaints on this also) – dealer moved striker in
14. Memory seat setting disappeared (other complaint about this also)
15. Pass front door rattles occasionally (other complaints) – not found
16. Third brake light cover was loose, rattled with bass and also allowed red light to shine on inside of rear C pillars – dealer repaired.
17. Fuel gauge slightly off, at ¼ takes 10 gallons, 7 gal left.
18 Car up shifts way too early, at steady cruse (not pushing it) it is in 4th just shy of 30mph and 5th just shy of 45mph, makes cruising at these speeds full of vibration as engine lugs as it is not turning enough rpms.
19. Part of back edge of star portion of wheel/rim is not smooth, was not sanded/finished properly, also one is not painted on center hub portion (can not see unless you look inside where it mates to rotor.
20. One exhaust tip has a large silver weld exposed inside tip, visible from rear of car.
21. Noise when pulling away when car is cold and normal acceleration, sounds like a flap is being actuated, but felt throughout car, lasts less than a second (other complaint on this) – dealer did not find.

BTW, trannies are going on the manaul TSXs and TLs and a couple of automatic TLs already:egads:
No car is perfect but this is as ridiculous as the last model.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.