Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car last year but the owner before myself cut the wiring to the headlights. I have it to where my running lights come on but the hi/low beams wont turn on unless I use the hi beam flasher/blinker switch towards me. I've done my best to get as many factory connectors that go to the headlights and fog lights but cant seem to get the interior headlight switch to work.

I've replaced both ballasts, headlamp relay, hi/low bulbs checked all my fuses of course. If anyone has any pictures of the back of their headlights with wire colors it would help out alot. I need HELP please and thank you

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,764 Posts
These directions are based on you looking AT the light/connectors from the FRONT of the car.

1. For high beam on the driver side:
RED/blue tracer on left side
RED/black tracer on right

1. For high beam on passenger side:
RED/blue tracer on left side
RED/white tracer on right

These directions are if you are staring DOWN at the low beam/ballast connector from the FRONT of the car: These are the 6-pin connectors.

1. Driver side:
Top left- BLUE/white tracer
Top right- Solid Blue
Bottom left- Solid Yellow
Bottom middle- Black/red tracer
Bottom right- Blue/yellow tracer

1. Passenger side:
Top left- Red/green tracer
Top right- Red/yellow tracer
Bottom left- Solid RED
Bottom middle- Black/Red tracer
Bottom left- Red/Black tracer

Hope this helps. This is Factory 2002 Wiring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol I found it well what's left of it is taped to the bumper brace thank you now I need a new 6 pin female connector but I'm thinking it has something to do with the dimmer switch relay also I'll keep yall posted

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I found it well what's left of it is taped to the bumper brace thank you now I need a new 6 pin female connector but I'm thinking it has something to do with the dimmer switch relay also I'll keep yall posted
Found a 6 pin connector works like a charm now shout out to ill_mannered

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im having an issue with my lights as well. Glad to see this got worked out. I think my issue is with my ballast. After driving, seems like the driver side will just flicker out. I can turn them off/on and it pops right back up but it's only a matter of time when it will go out again.

Again, I'm thinking ballast but I got new bulbs to just check it out as well, won't hurt.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,764 Posts
Im having an issue with my lights as well. Glad to see this got worked out. I think my issue is with my ballast. After driving, seems like the driver side will just flicker out. I can turn them off/on and it pops right back up but it's only a matter of time when it will go out again.

Again, I'm thinking ballast but I got new bulbs to just check it out as well, won't hurt.
First off, it’s rude to jack someone else’s thread. Telling you now since I know the mods are coming. Just start your own.

secondly, it sounds like a ballast problem.

·
Mr. Roo
10,270 Posts
Telling you now since I know the mods are coming.
Well, I'm the only moderator left on here, other people just like to act like one. But I don't mind people continuing threads, as it makes them more useful in the search engines imo rather than just starting new posts every time like would happen on Facebook.

If you've already got the new bulbs, then try those first before spending more money. If the problem is still happening, then switch the ballasts from one side to the other and see if the problem follows or not, then you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you've already got the new bulbs, then try those first before spending more money. If the problem is still happening, then switch the ballasts from one side to the other and see if the problem follows or not, then you'll know for sure.
This ^^^

·
Registered
65 Posts

It was the bulbs! Got to enjoy taking my front bumper off learning about the ballast's and how to install/uninstall :) In the end I just slapped a set of new bulbs in and they lit up perfectly and even brighter then before. Thanks for the help!

Now I'm moving on to my exhaust.... lol... Had megan headers in my garage for alike years now, got all the pieces in to includea new y (megan), resonator (walker) and exhaust (Yonaka). Just learned that the Megan headers don't line up with posts on the block so I guess these are junk....

·
Mr. Roo
10,270 Posts
It was the bulbs! Got to enjoy taking my front bumper off learning about the ballast's and how to install/uninstall :) In the end I just slapped a set of new bulbs in and they lit up perfectly and even brighter then before. Thanks for the help!
Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out for ya without needing to buy even more parts. Yeah those bulbs don't last forever, most people don't realize they do get a lot dimmer over time and change color. Always good to refresh with a new set every few years depending on usage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts