Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So in a slight pickle at the moment. I have a 2003 IS300 auto, just put a 1jz-gte VVTi (JZS171) in, sent it to a shop to finish the wiring, but they are hesitant to work on it because they've never done a swap that retained the auto, and are pushing me to a manual swap. I've google'd and searched this/clubLexus/supra forums for info, but I've not found a clear answer to give them on what they need to do to get this working, though a bunch of threads stating it is the 'easier' or 'cheaper' choice and should work but with little detail, so wanted to pick your guy's brains. So the configuration currently:

1jz-gte VVTI from JZS171 Crown w/ A340E (came w/ the engine)
1jz wiring harness
1jz ECU

Is there anything in this config that needs to be changed/repinned to support running the auto trans? Do I need a map3ecu piggyback or other standalone + OEM ECU in parallel to make this function properly? Do I need to use the GE harness instead? Do I need a fuel controller + harness e.g. the Apex-i AFC NEO w/ a boomslang harness? Currently at a loss, and haven't had my car for a couple months as they were sitting on it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
112 Posts
One route you can take is to use your stock is300 trans and run the ecumaster emu black pnp kit.
the stock is300 ecu will control the auto trans/gauges/hvac/throttle body.
The ecumaster standalone(you'll need to get it tuned) will control the motor.
You just got to pull the stock 2jzge engine/trans harness and use that on the 1j

Im sure there's other cheaper routes to do this.
But this is what came to mind and requires no harness splicing(except coolant temp sensor extension) if you need to revert back to stock for emissions lol.

·
Registered
2002 is300
70 Posts
The a650e will bolt to the 1jz. Only the stock ecu can shift the a650e. Then go piggy back so you will have the stock ecu drive everything except the engine and a second ecu to drive the motor. Unless you can find a stand alone transmission control module for the a340e.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you're using your A650e still, then you need to use the stock IS300 ECU and stock harness. If you're using the A340E that came with the engine, then you'll need to use the Crown ECU with the 1jz harness. Obviously the 1jz harness will need to be pinned to the IS300 wiring in the engine bay ECU location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts