Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does the 04+ o2 sims from 02sims.com work on the new gen IS X50s?

I would imagine the new gen are wideband and not narrowband, but just curious.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Knightshade. I don't really keep up on the 2nd gen stuff so was at a loss about this.

So the 2nd gen IS is probably wideband. The g/f's Scion is wideband. Hell the 01 Tacoma is wideband. Wonder why the 1st gen IS was behind the power curve on that... Maybe using old supra ECU stuff, I donno.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The use of air/fuel sensor and o2 sensor is dependant on how the engineer that developed the power plant wanted it to be monitored. The 2jz series of enginese used four o2 sensors (kind of old school technology). Newer designs like the 2az engine in the scion tC use and air/fuel sensor(wideband) before the catalyst and a regular heated o2 after the catalyst.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
????

No, I think its more of a $$$ decision. If engineers could have their way, then Ford wouldn't have so many recalls.

My truck is an 01, and has wideband. I think Toyota went narrowband on the IS 300 because the 2jz-ge already had OBDII ECUs up and running.

Why spend a ton more money changing those existing and working components to accommodate to wideband?

It was money, IMO. (read hear, In My Opinion, take it with a grain of salt).

Funny what you say about the Scion, o2sims.com say they do not support the tC because its all wideband.
And looks like there is a void in the market to sim wideband if anyone is using them post cat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The 2IS does have wideband primary O2 sensors, but the secondaries are narrowband. I'm sure the use of widebands for the primaries has to do with improving fuel economy and reducing emissions. While logging AFR via OBDII, I am amazed at how well it maintains stoich even at heavy throttle up to 3K RPMs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts