Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Bomz lightweight underdrive crank pulley...but am unsure if I want to put it on. I read in a couple places that the factory crank pulley has a harmonic balancer built in and if I replace it with this all aluminum pulley I could eff stuff up! I did a couple google searches on "IS300 harmonic balancer" and nothing comes up...so does my IS have a harmonic balancer?

If anyone has done an underdrive crank pulley, please let me know how it has worked out for you so far. THAKNS!

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
i've read many times just as you have that the OEM is better and with the small gains if any, it is not worth installing an aftermarket pulley

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the full unorthodox ss pulley kit on my car for three years and have never had a problem. I never had my car dynoed so I don't know what the exact gains are, but the car still runs great to this day.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
It's a waste. Put your money into real mods and not the typical rice mods that make little to no power.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's a waste. Put your money into real mods and not the typical rice mods that make little to no power.
That's not true.

Reducing rotational mass is one of the best ways to free up power for a car. It's the reason people get light wheels. Lightened underdrive pulleys are the same concept. Especially if you want to build an N/A car, these "typical rice mods" are a step in the right direction.

You're not making more power, you're freeing up more power. Increasing efficiency and response.

Anyway, back to the OP. You should be wary of the crank pulley, but the other pulleys such as water pump, alternator, etc are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with what stuup1dmofo said about reducing rotating mass. This is an important factor and a major reason to use the accesory pulleys. the main reason to get a pulley kit though is the benefit from the crank pulley. The crank pulley changes the pulley ratio from the crank to the accessories which diverts more power through the crankshaft.

Now before i start getting a lot of flack for talking about the pro's of the crank pulley, I'd like to say I don't work for Unorthodox or any other aftermarket company for that matter. I used to post under the name snakerxs2000. While i posted under that name i put up a thread where I posted about installing an HKS cam gear and Unorthodox pulley kit.

http://my.is/forums/f88/cam-gear-pulley-kit-282412/

As anyone can read I recieved a lot of grief for wanting to add these mods. A lot of people in the community now use the cam gear with no negative effects, and I've been running the pulley kit with the cam gear since February of 2006 with not one problem known to me or any of the toyota mechanics that service my car. So to all the people on the above thread that were talking smack (and I say this only because if my motor blew up they would say it to me) I TOLD YOU SO.

happy modding

·
Registered
146 Posts
The oem crank pulley is dampened(has a harmonic balancer). If you remove it and replace it with a crank pulley that is not dampened you are basically crazy. I am not going to go into details, but it an undampened crank pulley will eventually lead to serious problems. Go ask any of your big brothers (2JZ-GTE) that actually make power and see if ANY of them run an un-dampened crank pulley. Then answer will be "0".

If you read the stickied thread in the FAQ you would have found this:http://my.is/forums/f53/aftermarket-crank-pullies-why-not-use-them-reg-riemer-286507/

Now if you do want an underdriven crank pulley their are lots of alternatives that ARE dampened. I personally run the ATI/ Titan motorsports crank pulley that is full dampened. There is also the boost logic, fluidyne and many others. Those are the correct crank pulleys to run because they are all "SFI approved, fully dampened, and is lighter than stock."

Boost Logic Crank Pulley for 1993-98 Supra - Aluminum

Titan Motorsports Dampened Crank Pulley

Those are a few of the available correct crank dampeners for sale.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've had the full unorthodox ss pulley kit on my car for three years and have never had a problem. I never had my car dynoed so I don't know what the exact gains are, but the car still runs great to this day.
hey, i bought my car and it came with the unorthodox pully kit. i was wondering if the crank pully is the same diameter size as the stock one?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
BS you will feel the difference with the weight difference in the pulleys. I felt the difference within the first few minutes after I installed it 4 years ago.

I would not change the crank pulley, but the alternator, ac, power steering and water pump is fine. You will feel the difference and at 350.00-400.00 it's a good deal.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
if your installing an undampened crank pulley on the 2jz your asking for trouble..And yes this is a rice worthless mod, sorry if the truth offends some people..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm really put off by all this debating about the pulleys. I don't know about any other brand but unorthodox because they may be buit differently, but the unorthodox crank pulley that comes with the ss pulley kit works. period. almost three years and no problems.

·
Registered
650 Posts
i've had the unorthadox crank pully on for over a year w/ no problems

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
That's not true.

Reducing rotational mass is one of the best ways to free up power for a car. It's the reason people get light wheels. Lightened underdrive pulleys are the same concept. Especially if you want to build an N/A car, these "typical rice mods" are a step in the right direction.

You're not making more power, you're freeing up more power. Increasing efficiency and response.

Anyway, back to the OP. You should be wary of the crank pulley, but the other pulleys such as water pump, alternator, etc are perfectly fine.
Thumbs up :approve:

About the crank pulley, stay way from it. if is not a dampening pulley dont even bother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts