Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im new to this forum. I found a used black 02 IS300 with 35k mil, leather, chrome rims, loaded... for $20,995 in my local dealer. I checked the car's records on carfax and the records are clean, the only thing is that the car was a leased car, and am wondering if this leased car worth $21k? how much I could push down the price when negotiating? $20k out-the-door? $21k? im going to test drive it the coming friday. would appreciate any opinions. Thanks!!

Jer

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
if its Certified Pre OWned, and in good condition, then yes!

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
then in that case. no. its warranty will expire at 50k miles, at which point you will end up paying another 2k or so to get the CPO Warranty ( if you want ), and if you plan on staying N/A then it makes sense to get CPO.

If you're gettin boost, then dont even bother with this deal. find a cheaper IS for 15K and boos it, or better yet... go check out the For Sale Forum on this site..LOTS of good IS' for sale there for way cheaper than you could ever get em from a dealer..almost all are 1 owner and enthusiast-cared for.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Let me add something to amitkcs' post, if its' a leased car, then ask the dealer for a copy of the service records and you'll be able to tell if the person that leased it took care of the car. Especially if it was taken to the dealer for maintenance, if not then that's not good....but you'll still be able to tell if any warranty work was than to the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so how much do u all think the car worth perhaps it's in good condition? i thought 21k is a good price since kelly blue book says $24k.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
I'm assuming this is not a Lexus dealer. You should get the car checked out throughly by a trusted mechanic, regardless. Do not but an extended warranty from this dealer. Buy your extended warranty from Lexus. If you're really interested in the car, bargain for $19,500 to20,000 OTD depending on the findings of your mechanic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have some more questions... by surfing this forum i found that the cd player needed to be fixed, but needed an upgraded ecd for auto transimmition also? for every years or just 01 models? thanks.

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
cd player is known to be troublesome, but u dont fix it pre-emptively.

the Transmission -related ECU reflash was for 01s only, and there is a TSB floating around ont he site (search for it) that details which cars were affected.

Its not a recall, but rather a proactive attempt to fix the problem, so it doesnt turn into a recall.....

welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i emailed the sales person asked him about information of the is300, and he seems to know nothing about this car in his reply email. he doesnt know if the car has LSD, cd-changer was fixed or not, and he doesnt have the car's service records too... he added that most of the drivers dont keep the records nowaday. im doubtful about this is300....

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't think most dealers ask for the service records when they take a car in for sale, so I wouldn't worry about that so much. If it's not a Lexus dealer, than the salesman probably won't know much about the IS300.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Sounds kinda high, i just bought one for my girlfriend, an 02. Same as i have and same as the one your looking at with 53k for only 16800. So if i were you id hold out and find a better deal, they are out there

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yes, I think that's a bit high, especially is this guy doesn't know what's going on. I'd check out the "For Sale" forum here.... you could get an identical car, private party, for a much better price.

Your warranty on this car.... is 50,000 regardless (dealer or private party).... but also 4yr. SO you're soon to be out in the time period, regardless. It's going to be 06 soon :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
went to test drive the car yesterday, the car ran smooth and seemed fine, but the salesman wouldnt let me take the car to highway for a high speed test.....wtf? the listing price is 21k, and $500 off the listing price was the max discount dealer offered, so the OTD price came up to around $22,300 after negoitation, and of course i didnt buy the car...

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Take your time, don't rush. Shop around more and you'll find the right IS for you. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts