Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased my IS300 on March 4, 2002 with the stock 17" alloy wheels with 215/45R17 tires (I believe the Bridgestones).

I currently have driven about 9,600 miles in approx. 8 months - mosty highway miles.

The other day a friend noticed when I had my wheels turned that two steel belts were showing on my front driver's side tire. At the portion of the tire closest to the inside (out of view) the tread was basically gone and you could see the two belts exposed.

The frong passenger tire was worn down a bit on the inside but the belts were not exposed.

I took my car immediately to my dealer, expecting that they would look it over and replace the tires, do the alignment, etc.

I have not hit any potholes or obstacles in the road that I am aware of and have not travelled off road at all.

After a day I got a call from my dealer telling me that my front driver rim was bent so it was definitely not a warranty item. They told me I would have to buy a new wheel ($500) and two new tires ($230 each), alignment, etc. at about $1150 total.

Realizing I could buy new tires on tirerack.com (S-03) for about $300 and get my wheel repaired for $200 (or a new OEM wheel for at least $150 less) I took the car back and I'm bringing it to another Lexus dealer that seems more willing to work with me on this.

I am a bit shaken up because had it not been for my friend noticing the tire I may not have found out until it had exploded while driving 70mph.

I am not at all mechanically knowledgable but how is it that Lexus can assert that it was definitely my fault not not their responsibility at all. I am also disappointed in my dealer for not recommending any cost saving options such as having my wheel repaired for less than 1/2 the cost.

I would include some pictures of my tire/wheel here but honeslty I don't know how to add or link them to this message.

IF you have any insights on this I would grealty appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional Information

A bit more mechanical friend of mine made this observation:

"You definitely have an alignment issue. Regardless of the possible bent rim neither tire should show this type of extreme uneven wear. I was under the impression that the one with the bent rim had a wear issue and the other one had even wear. Since they both have the same wear pattern this is proof that it's not your fault. This car has had an alignment problem from the day you bought it. ... It looks like the camber adjustment is way out. "

The dealer is basically saying that I have a bent rim and therefore its not their fault. I feel they have not been very supportive in the situation at all. I guess I'll call Lexus corporate in the morning.... but if anyone has suggestions let me know...

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
I had a similar issue. Only the right front tire was really worn out. The left was just a bit. At the 1K and 5K service I complained about the car pulling to the right, each time the dealer's response was that it was taken care of. At around 10K is when I noticed that the right front tire was badly worn. I immediately took the car in. The dealer re-aligned for the second time, and replaced the two front tires under warranty. I actually went back to have the car alighned because I did not like the how the car felt after the alignment. Again, the dealer re-checked the alignment, this time I asked for the printout from the machine, also, for the printout of the previous alignment. I have driven the car for about 4K now, with no signs of uneven wear or pull.
The dealer treat it me very well, no complaints

I go to another dealer if possible to have it looked at.

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13323588&highlight=

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13295708&highlight=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
METEORO
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing