Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is familiar to most everyone on here, it's TeCKis300's old car. I picked it up a month ago, and it's been a whirlwind since. I wanted to just get the ball rolling on the thread, so here goes!

As I received it from TeCKis300, who I may add is a great guy.

Engine/Exhaust/Drivetrain:
- Full 2JZ-GTE VVTi Swap TTC BPU++
- Getrag V161 6-speed Transmission with SRT Billet Fit Kit
- 2.75 to 3" Custom I/C Piping to a 24x8x3" Intercooler
- 3" Down and Mid Pipe
- 3" High Flow Metal Cat
- HKS Drager Exhaust
- Greddy Profec B Spec II Electronic Boost Controller
- Fully tuned Greddy Emanage Ultimate management, no CEL
- Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
- Aluminum Intake Heat Shield
- Relocated Trunk Mount Battery
- Koyo Aluminum Radiator
- Sequoia 4x4 Driveshaft

Suspension/Brakes:
- Brembo Gran Tourismo Big Brake Kit
- Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Greddy Type-S Monotube Coilovers
- Hotchkis Adjustable Sway Bars
- Prolex Front Strut Tower Bar
- Custco Rear Strut Tower Bar
- TRD Front and Rear Underbrace
- GS430 Rear Upper Aluminum Arms
- AAR Fully Boxed with TRD Race Bushing Rear Lower Control Arms
- TRD High Durometer Bushings
- Megan Rear Toe Control Arms
- Relocated Toe pickup points
- Relocated Rear Upper Coilover Supports
- Increased Front Suspension Travel Range

Wheels/Tires:
- CCW Classics in 18x9" +38 Fronts and 18x10.5" +48 Rears
- Ventus v12 EVO 255/35 Fronts
- Michelin PS2 285/30 Rears (room for 295s)
- Minor Fender Roll

Exterior:
- Genuine TRD Altezza Front Grill
- Genuine TRD Front Lip
- Replica TRD Sideskirs

Interior/Audio:
- Alpine CDA-7987 Phatomface Headunit
- Orion 800.4 Extreme Amplifier
- Infinity Kappa 6.5" Component Set
- Infinity Kappa 12" Sub in Custom lightweight FG enclosure in spare tire
- Infinity 6x9 Rears
- Prosport Premium Peak Hold Boost, EGT, Fuel Pressure Gauges
- Innovative XD-16 Wideband Gauge
- 1 Farad Cap

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Wow, damn....didn't know he sold it.

Nice pick up! So, what's your plans for it?! lol How's the drive?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like stories, so I figure I will share mine and what lead to here.
I got into Toyota growing up; my parents owned matching late 70’s Celica’s for a period of time. My mother moved on to a ’86 MR2 which to my fortune was handed on to me.

That car became a project in itself, going from an auto to manual and then to 20v in the late 90’s (I like to claim it was #3 ~ 5 completed in the US at the time). The car saw some track usage and lead to me getting a track license and seat in a 1st gen Rx7 for a few years. The 20v motor only kept me satisfied for so long, and soon a turbo was hanging off the side of it. Well, after a few popped motors, intake manifold disasters, exhaust manifolds falling apart, and a lot of learning with a pinch of maturing, it’s a half decent project. Unfortunately at the moment, it’s down for another rebuild. Waiting on reassembly with new rods, crank and bearings.

Since the MR2 kept being an on/off project, it was no longer suitable as a daily driver. Plus, a 2 seater was not exactly conducive to hauling a family around. I had a ’96 Camry as a daily for a bit. As uninspiring as a 5sf can be, I did some suspension work and with some 235 tires all the way around, it did surprise some people at local autocrosses.

Well, fast forward to winter 2006 and during a bored moment I went by the Subaru dealership to tire kick a STI Limited. Despite rumors, the lot was devoid of said STI although a 2005 Forester XT sat there. A week later I filled out the paperwork and went home with the car. 13K miles later, and it was on turbo upgrade #1. 30K miles in, turbo #2. 60K, turbo #3 (a 30r), forged pistons and rods, and a 6mt swap. Despite all of this work, it was stuck around 400whp (stupid EJ heads), reliability was questionable and non pump gas was required. Still, low 12’s and all weather capability was fun. It sold last year when my mind kept wandering to bigger and better projects.

Immediately after the sale of the Forester, I picked up a pretty rough ’99 GS300. Plan was for an Aristo swap, big single, build an auto and have fun with it. 80% of the parts were in the garage and I was set to go. Then, TeCKis300’s car popped up. I missed having a manual, and the thought of build a late model Aristo trans (7 solenoid setup) was new territory with little info. Running the numbers, his car was well worth it, and we came to an agreement.

I flew out to TeCKis300 in San Diego and embarked on a 2,000 mile journey back to southern Indiana. Car did well despite getting broken into pretty frequent ice and snow; which is quite entertaining on bald 285 width Michelin PS2’s.

The car is a good amount of fun. It is a shade slower than my previous Forester in current form, but the potential is there. The handling, which was his main focus, is very impressive. As of now, I have only changed out the battery for an Optima. There was a loose connection that resulted in a drained battery and no start, and with the trunk relocation I wanted a non vented battery anyway. So in went the Optima. Cranks right up no problem now.

Plans? There’s a boost logic T4 manifold in my garage. I have a 7675 as well, but I don’t feel it will be well suited for my plans. I’m trying to trade or sell it to move down to a 6766. There’s a set of ID1000’s on their way. I have the SRT pump hanger in the garage (purchased for the GS300), but do not have a rail yet. I’ll either go with twin DW300’s or Aeromotive pumps. I do want to hard line it under the car versus running braided all that distance. I need to keep an eye out for a clutch, but really thinking some variety of twin disc (likely RPS C/C or CM FX850).

·
Registered
802 Posts
you said southern indiana... where exactly?!?!? Im originally from jasper indiana..

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Saweet. Sounds like you can't leave anything alone. Can't wait to see where you take the car from here..:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Forgot to update my signature here. It usually reads "I don't believe in stock vehicles." Yes, I have a bad disorder.

I live in Evansville so I am familiar with jasper. Actually, we prefer the dealer over there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice to see this car is close to me now (Cincinnati, OH.) I am still sad I got rid of my 86 MR2 with a 20V blacktop and 6 speed (C160). Those are such sweet cars.

·
Registered
802 Posts
^ Forgot to update my signature here. It usually reads "I don't believe in stock vehicles." Yes, I have a bad disorder.

I live in Evansville so I am familiar with jasper. Actually, we prefer the dealer over there.
Niice, I know all about evansville.. my brother lives there....You should make a trip up for MW2k13 weekend this year...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nice pick up, do you have some of your own pics of the new ride? Also if you don't mind sharing, how much did you get it for?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Glad the car went to a long time car fanatic!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words guys. Finally uploaded some of my pics.

Stop on day 1 of the ride back. Yes, it was an "interesting drive." Remember, bald 285 Michelin Pilot Sports in the rear.

Thought the old pumps were neat so snapped this shot.

And this just came in the mail today. Excited to get this on, but have other things to tend to first. 6766 bb unit.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Local University here had a dyno day the other night and I figured why not. Let's see where the car is at.

On the good side, I went through some of the mapping and found the timing to be a little...limp. I didn't feel up to grabbing the knock ears and fulling going through it, so I just went mild and took it up some where I'd be comfortable. On the bad said, I didn't fully sort out the boost controller prior to going up. Made 3 pulls and keep dialing up the boost controller, yet it kept capping around 15psi, and it'd oscillate some. Well, turns out it I was fiddling with the lo setting and a warning limit had been set at 14.7 and caused it to bounce down. Whoops. Regardless, I didn't want to go crazy and pop a turbo and jeopardize the motor. Anyway, enough jabber and on to results!

93 octane, ~14 psi, mild timing.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Little updates. I have continued to gather parts and am nearing time to start the build process. The only question is how far to go down the rabbit hole. On stand by are a Haltech PS2000 (which I'm going to pseudo piggyback so I can try to retain cruise and throttle control), BC 272's, BC springs/retainers, BL manifold, 6766 BB turbo, 3" boost actuated cut out, and a dual pump hanger.

I did run it down the 1/8th mile in current trim. Managed a 8.4 @ 86 with a 1.9 60' (Nitto NT05 non R). Though not thrilled, it was as expected am I'm satisfied with the result.

In the meantime, I was getting annoyed with a misfire code that's steadily gotten worse. Got bored and dug into it the other night. #1 plug came out clean, and I didn't see any arcing through the plug wire. Since the coil pack is sitting on #6 where it's stuffed against the firewall, thought maybe the heat had finally gotten to it. Pull it up, and surprise, valve cover is leaking a hair back there resulting in the plug being partially submerged in oil. Pull the plug out and...

Yea, not so good. Plug was melted a decent amount. Grabbed the compression gauge in a panic and to my joy the compression was 180+ (some of the oil dropped into the cylinder hence probably the excessively high #). My guess at this point is the oil caused misfires plus also kept the plug body hot causing the melting situation. Changed it out, no more codes and the car seems to run generally smoother.

And to the big hold up of getting the IS under the knife? Assembly of the MR2 motor. Grabbed the die grinder the other night and got a little happy.

Oddly I did not elect to take a before picture. Just trust me that you can see ~20% more of the valve top on the exhaust side now. The throat really tapered down and choked out line of sight from valve to port.

I'd probably be further along had I not gooned it and ordered 12 exhaust valve stem seals and 8 intake valve stem seals. Whoops, there's a $30 mistake for you.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts