Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to my parts mangager last night while I was getting my car washed. He just got back from some Lexus trade show. He said that they were informed that the 02 armrest will not retrofit to the 01 model!! Da mn - i guess i'll have to look at aftermarket ones now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Damn that sucks. I at least want the new cup holder divider. It's much better than the '01s. I guess I'm just going to have to get a '02 next year!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have you looked at the armrest??? I have been told by a cople dealers that it will in fact fit. It is just a drop in replacement. I guess we are going to have nothing but rumors until someone steps up and actually attempts it.
Me, I am just going to go out and get a 02 instead. Time for a new car. It's been a year.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
From what I have seen (from pics) the armrest attaches to the rear of the center console on a large hinge. I believe you'd have to change the entire console to a '02 model to have the armrest fits clean.

If some '02 owners would confirmn this with a couple of close up install pics of the actually armrest in various positions, instead of taking boring exterior stock pics of their IS. (THAT WE ALL HAVE SEEN SINCE LAST SUMMER)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've looked at the new ones and believe they'll fit easiliy. Maybe when a '01 and '02 owners get together they can remove the armrest and see if it'll fit in the '01. It can't be held on by more than a few fasteners. My dealer still has no word yet.

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: mjdart ]

·
Registered
921 Posts
The arm rest unit is actually a drop in unit. If you take out the back section of the console, that little compartment that is there on the 01 models apperently pops out from underneath, therefore allowing the new unit to pop in from underneath. The actual arm rest I guess attaches to the hinge(???). The little magnet on the 01 console is replaces by an internal plug. You can even see this plug on the 02 version.
In case you can't tell, I truely believe that it will work. Just take a close look at an 02 and it makes sense.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Lex Luthor... do you mean the rear ashtray/coin holder?? or the rear cup holder? I will go to the dealer to check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I mean the rear section of the console that has the compartment w/ the electrical outlet inside that you can close. Essentially when the armrest is installed you still have a small storage area in the same place w/ an outlet but it is significantly smaller.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
I went to the dealer for the recall...and the dealer said Lexus called them and specifically told them not to sell any arm rests because they don't fit onto the 2001 model. He was 100% positive. I guess I'm gonna have to get used to no arm rest. =(

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was in Pohanka Lexus yesterday and spoke to the Parts Manager Kevin Phillips. He said that he has looked into this and he believes that the 02 armrest will not work. He said the part numbers for the consoles on the 01 and 02 are different. He told me that the parts would be $500.00 and there is no guarantee that that the 02 console would even fit on the 01. He said if I wanted to be the "cash guinea pig" feel free. But the techs at the dealership would not touch it. I then went over to a Red 02 non nav and gave it the once over. Nothing looks changed as far as I can tell with regards to the console. It appears that they took the lid off the storage compartment and inserted the Armrest. The 02 compartment now has no lid and is 1/2 the size of the 01. Why one couldn't insert the Armrest in the 01 compartment and secure it I do not know. It appears to be a simple process.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
UHHH I dunno what dealers you guys talk to but I already ordered mine and if you look closely at the 2002 you can see that it indeed will fit if you lift the felt in the little cubby on your console remove the existing door and wallah!!! you will see two holes with srcews I believe it attaches there at any-rate mine is on order I will let the skeptics know how it feels/looks when I get get it on me IS...

cheers

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My service agent checked with the part department for me after I expressed intrest a month ago it was unavailable at that time so she put me first on the waiting list I think the order has gone through by now I dont know the actuall price but I dont think it will be over 200 bucks at least if so I dont care..I wont pay more than 300 bucks

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I ordered with confidence that I would be paying around 200 bucks as soon as it is available to the dealers they will place my order and give me a call...as a matter of fact I will call right now and see if it is in yet! I will post more info shortly....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It is official I called they said it wont retro fit ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!! you need to replace the whole console
for about 1k or more oh well....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I still think they are BSing me I saw it with me own eyes it is identical to ours there has to be a way for it to fit

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree, from what I saw at the dealer, the consoles look identical. What needs to be done is someone with an 02 needs to "volunteer" to remove their arm rest and see if it can be retrofitted to an 01. If there is anyone in the DC area that has an 02 and would like to try, let me know. I have a large garage fully rigged.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
From a manufacturing standpoint, it doesn't make sense to have two different consoles, so I would think that the new armrest should install just fine in the 01's.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
exactly my point...To think the engineers did not have an armrest design in mind that would just be an additional add on is absurd from a manufacturing point of view. Think about the money it cost to design a whole new console with an armrest instead of designing an armrest that just simply fit onto an existing pre manufactured console mold
doesnt make sense. someone with an 02 want to help out??? I am headed to the dealer tomorrow to check this I will keep you guys posted...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
Kel3
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing