Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found an 02 5 speed with 83000 and they are asking 18900. it was under one lease, and thats it. this dealership only sells like lexus, beamers, and mercedes that were on a previous lease. im really not even seriously thinking about it, but how do these cars hold up with that kind of mileage?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
yep,
still plenty of life left in that car.
timing belt will be due soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
prolly just stick with an auto. wife keeps naggin cuz she cant drive a stick. :rolleyes: i know that toyota and lexus engines are all in the same, and i know that toyota pretty much makes the best motors on the market. i guess, just curious if these cars have any quarks when they get high miles on them. 80k is considered just being broke in on these motors. just being weary about possibly gettin somethin with a lot of miles on it. freaking dealers are trying to screw me without at least a reach-around. (8 grand for trade-in on a y2k burban....... :mgun: )

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
If you intend to buy, have the car checked out throughly. Then just keep up with the service / wear and tear maintenance and the car will keep on running just like a TIMEX. :)

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
StiCcKyFiNgAaZ said:
i paid $18kOTD for my 2002 AR 5spd 64k, navi, lsd, dual heated seats, etc...
Damn. When I test drove an 05 S60R last month they offered me (on a trade in) $17,400 w/ everything i have on it and $18,700 if I had everything :erm: removed :confused: (02 S.Y 5sp w/ 27,000 miles)...granted its in perfect conidition but I was surprised.

I personally wouldnt worry about buying a high mileaged IS (but make sure the transmission isnt making the whirling noise when the clutch is out, in neutral

btw... 300hp Volvo didnt impress me as much as my little IS does.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Spend a lot of time looking at it and going over everything. Show a lot of interest. Offer them $17k. Tell them you are looking at another one at (make up a location) for the same price with lower miles. Walk away. Get in your car and go.
They will either stop you from leaving or call you to come back and close the deal.

$18900 is too high for the mileage.

Trade in on the lease was probably $15k.

I had to get in my car and start to drive away before I was able to buy an 02 5sp with 45k miles for $18k.

·
Registered
873 Posts
the car listed in the link above my post is definitely a steal. id sell my 01 e-shift (msm) for $17k and its got 78k miles on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts