Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 is approaching 60k Mi, and I was going to have the plugs & wires replaced. Also know that due to the age of the timing belt maybe I should consider changing that as well.
Can anyone tell me if these should be done at the same time for labor savings.......do the changes overlap each other?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Nope, the timing belt is a totally different procedure than the spark plugs.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
the timing belt/water pump should be done at the same time.. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
the timing belt does not need to be replaced till 90k unless something either cuts the belt or its fraying for some reason like debris got in there from not having the timing cover on. the water pump can be replace whenever if it showing excessive corrosion around the seal where it would leak or if the bearing failed due to coolant getting in it. On a 60k all i would do is the normal stuff: plugs, wires, trans service, coolant flush, brake service, engine air filter and cabin air filter. those should be the only items needed to worry about.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
^^ It is actually 7 yrs or 90k...whichever comes first... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
dont bother going by date always by milage thats what a toyota, lexus and scion feild rep told me. thats also what i learned when i was in the TPAT program at UTI.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
HAHA....Well, its good to visually inspect it at the very least then....

and if you are doing a water pump, you might as well change the belt as its only $30 and you need to put it back on anyways when putting it all back together or vice versa if just doing a belt, might as well do the pump at the same time... :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
um if the water pump isnt leaking at 60k i wouldnt replace it. but if the water pump isnt leaking dont replace it cause it dumb to make the customer buy something that isnt broken. yes i would look at the t-belt but if it looks fine leave it. and what do you know about working on cars, you are just a Service Consultant and all you care about is upselling and making money. i guess in your train of thought selling stuff that isnt defective is good! way to be a team playa!

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
yeah, thats my job...its called "reccomended service" to replace it BEFORE it brakes and then the customer is stuck on the side of the road with an overheated car because the thermostat or waterpump failed....it doesnt hurt to do a preventive replacement at that mileage due to the year of the car....

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
if its not broke dont replace it!! who cares if the car is old if it works fine leave it! my is has 50k on it and im not about to tear into the car and replace the pump or t-belt in 10k its stupid. when my car hits 90k and im replacing the t-belt at the "recomended" intervole ill look at the water pump if its not leaking or making any souds ill leave it and just replace the belt. ayway this is a stupid argument and can go on for ever how long so im just gonna stop. everyone has their own opinion

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
well..this person asked about the 60k....the car is a 2001 that was likely produced in mid 2000....the car is coming up on 8 years old...

as I said, i think at least a visual inspection is neccesary and a preventive replacement due to the age would be a good idea because most people dont want to get stuck when it does BREAK....thats why its a good idea due to the age to replace it at this point, IMHO....

true, everyone has their own opinion and I respect it, but no need to keep refuting me as I do this everyday and have seen people NOT do the reccomended repairs/replacements, and then they have catastrophic problems and have to have their car towed in and then question why it broke down, i''ve seen it all too often...:lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I changed mine at 60k miles(96k km) 6 years. i couldn't hear it but when i took it apart the t-belt tensioner pulley bearing was dragging and all dry of grease. funny how a lexus dealer didn't see this when i had my water pump done under warranty at 85k km. on most cars i worked on with automatic belt tensioners it is best to change when the time is up even with low mileage. others may disagree...that's ok...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate the feedback & responses..........even those who suggest I perform a search first on 60K service (altruist?????????). We're not all illeterate. Nowhere in the searches will you find if these two services are labor related.

Think I'll have the plugs changed and the TB inspected.

Reactions: vroomRollLEX

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW.......plan on installing NGK Laser Iridiums IFR6T11........know there is alot out there on plugs........not quite sure what all the specs mean. Think these are at heat range of 6. Are these OK to use on N/A.........not too cold?
ne1 have these installed?

·
13,727 Posts
Getting back to your original question, if you ever plan to add a cam gear now would be the time to do it when they are switching out your belt. They can set it to stock and you can have it dyno tuned later. I plan to go that route myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did my 60k about a year ago and I did not have to change my spark plugs, because I had a later 01 model which had spark plugs that last till 120k. I believe there are two kinds of spark plugs one that need to be replaced at 60k and the other lasting till 120k, depending on the production date of your IS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any recommendations on what type of Cam gear to go with?
Coult they tune at time of install?

·
13,727 Posts
Any recommendations on what type of Cam gear to go with?
Coult they tune at time of install?
I only hear about two types, the Titan cam gear and the purple HKS one. They both do the same thing. I see them new for around $150.

I guess it depends on who you take it to when you have it installed. If you go to a regular shop or dealership, I assume they would not tune it. To be tuned correctly, you would need to dyno the car and keep adjusting it until you found the best gains.

There is a cam gear thread that talks about this, and from what I remember I believe it said that for the best gains set it back about 4 degrees. Every car is different, add that to what mods you have, and you may find a different setting.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I did my 60k about a year ago and I did not have to change my spark plugs, because I had a later 01 model which had spark plugs that last till 120k. I believe there are two kinds of spark plugs one that need to be replaced at 60k and the other lasting till 120k, depending on the production date of your IS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
60k - normal spark plugs
90k - iridium spark plugs

If you have the Iridium there should be a sticker under your hood stating so, I unfortunately do not... and on my 60k now :( scrapped and bloody knuckles here I come.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts