Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my 01 OEM grill a month ago with a MSM TRD Grill.

But now I kind of wanna go back to the OEM one.

I was thinkin about painting the grey mesh black like the sport design grill (still gonna keep the chrome lip and OEM emblem)

Has anyone done this yet and If so, Can you please post pics.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Have you thought about just buying a sport design grille?

I'm contemplating doing that myself... I want to do a subtle exterior change to the car.

Painting the middle portion black should look good.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
spend a few mins w/photoshop or paint even... shouldn't be too tough... at least to give you an idea...

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Give it a try. If you don't like it, sell it. Trial and error...

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about buying the sport design one. I had to install one on a MSM IS300 yesterday at work.

Looked soo nice, But I really don't like how the emblem is just a single piece.

Right now I'm applying the masking tape to the grill. This should turn out interesting.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
i'm running a JDM SD grill that put a USDM BP emblem on...:approve:

GL man!

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

spent a lil time photo shopping a pic of a 01 grill.

Doesnt look that bad, kind of liking it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I did it to my old '01 grill. Here is a picture of a non-painted '01 and the painted '01. It came out good, but even though I clear-coated it, it began to get a few small chips in the paint after a few weeks.

I would advise just buying a '02-'05 grill if you want the black mesh, which is what I wound up doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

prep work is done. Imma go get ready to paint it.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
niceee =D

Im waitin for my paint to dry at the moment, Cant wait to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
before.

after.

Im quite happy with it. Ill use my TRD one when I get a kit.

cell phone pics FTL

·
Registered
52 Posts
i got a question...I just bought is300 couple months (love the car), but i'm having problems with my front grill...I have the exact same grill as the ones shown in the above photos except my emblem piece is missing. It looks like an attachment must be placed in the triangular looking area in order to put an emblem on, but I'm not sure. I was looking at some grills and it might actually look like an Altezza emblem would fit there, but I'm not sure...let me know what you guys think??

eBay Motors: JDM Toyota 00-05 IS300 ALTEZZA Front Grill Emblem NEW! (item 300289137312 end time Feb-23-09 15:30:13 PST)

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the JDM altezza badge will not fit on the USDM 2002-2005 IS300 grills. The tabs are different.

Members some times put up badges for sale on the board.

The dealership sells the badge and grill as a single piece if your looking for something new :)

Reactions: rvalero

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
i got a question...I just bought is300 couple months (love the car), but i'm having problems with my front grill...I have the exact same grill as the ones shown in the above photos except my emblem piece is missing. It looks like an attachment must be placed in the triangular looking area in order to put an emblem on, but I'm not sure. I was looking at some grills and it might actually look like an Altezza emblem would fit there, but I'm not sure...let me know what you guys think??
You have an 02, so the grill is different from the 01. You should have three bars instead of four, and your emblem is removable. The grill off my 03 also had a triangular shape where the emblem mounts. The 2 slots should be like this | | not like this =

This should help you http://my.is/forums/f99/front-l-lexus-emblem-chrome-379663/

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is what is looks like exactly...I went to the dealer and they jerked me around saying they don't have any piece that allows a lexus emblem to attach to this grille.....do I need a badge and emblem? pics would help...thanks everyone!!

View attachment 20865

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
This is what you need. Mine just happens to be ziptied to an Altezza grill. Yes, you need the emblem itself and the mount (which I believe should be sold as one piece).

·
Registered
52 Posts
thanks...ill look around for it. So that would be an emblem that attaches to a badge which ultimately fits in my grille piece ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts