Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I have started my NAT build. This is inspired by everyone in this thread and I've been in contact with @Pynoxim for some fine details on the build. Some background, I am a technician and have been for 6 years now and finished tech school this last year, lucky enough to pick up my GGP is300 with 160k for 700$ and had a wrecked parts car I got for $600. Took the engine and trans and swapped it into the GGP auto chassis and it's now got a titan cam gear, apexi safc, headers, Megan y pipe and HKS HiPower catback.

Keep in mind this is a BUDGET BUILD. So we are cutting some corners but still doing so in a safe manner. So far I have $150 in a eBay turbo manifold, $150 in a 2nd hand but new T4 GT35 .82 turbocharger. I have an eBay 1:1 fpr kit on the way and I'll update here With its quality as it may be questionable.

Things to order are, boost and afr gauges, turbo down pipe, downpipe to mid pipe section (y pipe replacement?), turbo inlet filter, intercooler and piping, 4 bolt wastegste, fuel pump and probably some one step colder NGK plugs. All these items will be ordered on eBay new if I'm unable to source second hand. (If you have These items to sell please feel free to message me!)

As far as assembly I've test fit the turbo to the cheap manifold and the manifold isn't machines properly flat. Off to the machine shop we go ! I've also decided topaintmatch the cold side of the turbo to the vehicle while practicing painting as I just boughr trd skirts that needed sprayed. This afternoon I've taken my oem airbox and chopped it up to make a clampable maf housing which we will use later.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
That thing is going to take forever to spool. It will make great top end power.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That thing is going to take forever to spool. It will make great top end power.
Not an attack on you, but curious why you said that? It’s a T4 GT35 .82 A/R. Prob same chinacharger CX and XS use in their kits...I mean without knowing the hot&cold inducer/exducer diameter we can’t really say for sure, but I’d think it would spool fairly quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not an attack on you, but curious why you said that? It’s a T4 GT35 .82 A/R. Prob same chinacharger CX and XS use in their kits...I mean without knowing the hot&cold inducer/exducer diameter we can’t really say for sure, but I’d think it would spool fairly quick.
I agree with you @Kris OK, the 3.0 is meant for boost. And it’s big brother the gte can push much larger ones than this. And this is higher compression too..

·
Registered
734 Posts
@ill_mannered is usually spot-on with advice...I’m thinking he misread some numbers here. I had a partial XS kit and used the turbo on my GTE. Then I got a BW s362sxe (nothing wrong with the chinacharger just wanted a name brand turbo). The 362 is a 6268, probably similar to what your gt35 is. If I stomp the gas pedal I’m in boost before 3000rpm. These new billet turbos, you have to be careful about how fast boost hits or you can bend the rods at low rpm from so much torque. Almost have to de-tune at low rpm. I can’t imagine how fast a ball bearing turbo would be.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
Not an attack at you either but the CX racing kit information is quite public. The CX racing kit uses a baby wanna be GT35R but it is a .68 AR. It is most likely close to the same size turbo as your 62/68. It will spool fast and maybe support 500hp max. That 6268 is no surprise it hits boost at 3k rpm, it’s a relatively small turbo. His has a much larger .82 AR back housing. It will probably come on full boost around 4500-5k rpm. Of course knowing the wheel sizes will tell some of the story as well.

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
734 Posts
I’m using the ATP .68 turbine housing on my BW. It does spool quicker because of that I am sure, but I don’t know if an .81 will spool 1500-2000 rpm slower. Id guess maybe a few hundred rpm difference, 500max. It’ll be interesting to see.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
I think I over exaggerated a little bit it still will come on FULL boost slow. In case there is any doubt. You can clearly see this is a GEN 2. Turbo GTS 3582 with a 1.06 backhousing. It comes on FULL boost by ~4800-5000rpm. If you say your 6268 makes FULL boost at 3k rpm then it’s safe to say that a .82 back housing will be in the realm of 4000k.
Given that this is a GEN 2 on this dyno (which are awesome BTW) if he has an older turbo it will most likely be 4-42k to reach full boost.

I never said don’t use the turbo, I pointed out that it will spool slow is all.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you say your 6268 makes FULL boost at 3k rpm
I never said full boost.
That’s where the confusion is. I’m thinking “spool” = just starting to see positive pressure. I am not making full boost at 3000rpm...but I am just getting into positive manifold pressure. I’d have to look at a log to see full boost (for me is 18psi) but I’d say full boost mid 4000’s.I’ve been using the term spool incorrectly if it means full boost. I always thought spool= that crossover threshold where it goes from vacuum to positive pressure.

I’m in boost before 3000rpm.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
I never said full boost.
That’s where the confusion is. I’m thinking “spool” = just starting to see positive pressure. I am not making full boost at 3000rpm...but I am just getting into positive manifold pressure. I’d have to look at a log to see full boost (for me is 18psi) but I’d say full boost mid 4000’s.I’ve been using the term spool incorrectly if it means full boost. I always thought spool= that crossover threshold where it goes from vacuum to positive pressure.
Oh ok, gotcha ;)

yes your turbo will indeed start to spool quickly. The AR housing size will have a direct affect on this. Hopefully his will spool quick enough. I mean it was cheap and he is just out here trying things. More power to you OP! I am going to just run the China 35 until it breaks. We’ll see how that goes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks cool man,sell me your aem intake now lol.

Looking forward to this build I want to run 5psi also in a stock ecu

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. Installed turbo. Need to make oil feed and return, purchase and plumb intercooler, piping and down pipe and we’re running and driving.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,006 Posts
Put a turbo blanket on it and wrap the intake with some heat tape.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hell yeah man. It’s getting there.

Put that timing belt cover on. It would suck to drop something in there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great to see your turbo build thread and I'm excited to see how it turns out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts