Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hate starting a new thread but I posted in a few with a similar problem but it doesn't seem I have a blown fuse.

Yesterday my car wouldn't shift out of park, then I found out by turning my headlights on it would then shift no problem. When driving home from work I noticed my brake lights would not come on when pressing on the pedal. I also tested a few other things while driving like cruise control and the light would come on the dash but I could not set CC at all.

When I parked last night my rear window brake light went out and has not come back on since. I woke up this morning and the car would not shift out of park no matter what I tried. I also checked all my fuses to see if any have blown and did not notice any problems.

8 months ago I did the o2 trick where I spliced the cable to clear the CEL on the 0102 sensor during that time I accidentally snipped the first wire which is blue with a black line and silver dots, but soldered back together and wrapped electrical tape around it with no problems since. I also did replace the truck lid lights with LED's from VLEDS.com but that was 8 months ago as well. I also pulled the power on the batter to reset the ECU to see if that would fix as well.

I am stuck and could use any suggestions.

Posted in this Thread and This One with pictures.

EDIT: Problem was solved by replacing a fuse.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My money is on a brake switch. Working when you turn the headlights on is odd though... Stuck relay somewhere maybe...
edit:
re-read a little... is there some sort of control module for cabin electronics? Seems odd that the brakes would be looped into that kind of system but possible at the same time... either that or you've got a wire grounding out somewhere in the system...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I came to find out last night it was just a simple fuse that was blown. Pretty crazy results and problems for just a fuse. I'm not sure why it would let me put it in drive when my lights were on for a day but the not going out of park when your brake lights don't work makes since in a safety aspect.

It was good to know the little on the gear console to the left of Park can be popped off and contains a button to press in to manually get it out of park. I thought I would be stuck at my place all day again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
having little expereince on the IS300, but considerable in the auto industry.... the problems sounds like a series of grounding issues. I know there are a few more problems with 01(as differering from 02-05), but you have soo many minor, seemingly unconnected, yet somehow connected issues.

Does anyone making a proper chassis grounding kit??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drive it off a cliff, collect the money for it buy a new one, this is no minor problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drive it off a cliff, collect the money for it buy a new one, this is no minor problem
Thanks for the suggestion but I would have to drive a good distance being from Houston to find a cliff. A bridge would work better here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts