Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend just got his license, and his mommy gave him her car which is the 330xi. i never really liked it to be honest, but w/e so we were messin around one day, and we decided to race. Were on a 2 laned straight away and from a 20mph roll we raced. At first his bmw pulled a bit on me becuz of the all-wheel drive, then when i hit liek 4500rpms no contest. Just destroyed him. Then we tried again from a dig, i did my laucn routine that danny showed me and again no contest jsut owned him. Felt good to finally beat someone straight up. Im gonna eventually race everyone of my friends. Beat the 330xi, Beat the CTS, gonna race my friends c70, and then there is another new volvo s40 T5. So im ready to race whenever.
-Dante
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Nice kill, but do you think it's wise to encourage your recently licensed friend to race?

Btw, awd's have no advantage from a roll, if anything the additional drivetrain loss will slow it down.


Do you think the outcome would've been different with a more proficient driver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
i'll tell you what.
you will not beat the S40.
those boosted SOBs are QUICK. on freeway, low roll, or from a dig.

and u mean to tell us u beat a CADDY CTS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,564 Posts
CTS's were built to compete in the our class. ^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
right and dont the V6's that run 0-60 in low to mid 6's... that run 14's for 1/4 mile...

-AAron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Maybe he goes around targeting people who recently got their licenses and have faster cars.....? hehe..jkjk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
right and dont the V6's that run 0-60 in low to mid 6's... that run 14's for 1/4 mile...

-AAron
If you go by this, the IS runs low 15s and a high 6sec 0-60. Not sure who you are agreeing with.

To the original poster: The 330xi, and the BMW AWD cars in general, has a part time system. It is performance oriented and supplies power to the front only when needed. The only euro-class AWD system that is full time is quattro from Audi. While the drive train still does rob power, it's minimal on a dry day. So it is indeed the slowest of the 330s (330i, 330ci, and the 330xi) but how much slower I don't know. I do know this - my brother has a 2003 330xi and when I drive it it "feels" quicker than my 2003 5spd IS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha, hes not a retard he can drive. and the second i got about 2 car lengths i stopped the race so i dont think we were in too much danger. And the thing bout the CTS is, it is extremelly heavy for how much HP is pulls out. is like 3600lbs with a 3.8L V6 cranking out 255hp. His is the first model, i dont know if the newer models r much different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
k-lo said:
If you go by this, the IS runs low 15s and a high 6sec 0-60. Not sure who you are agreeing with.

To the original poster: The 330xi, and the BMW AWD cars in general, has a part time system. It is performance oriented and supplies power to the front only when needed. The only euro-class AWD system that is full time is quattro from Audi. While the drive train still does rob power, it's minimal on a dry day. So it is indeed the slowest of the 330s (330i, 330ci, and the 330xi) but how much slower I don't know. I do know this - my brother has a 2003 330xi and when I drive it it "feels" quicker than my 2003 5spd IS.
Your point about the all wheel drive system applies only if the car he raced was an e90 3, equipped with xdrive. Your brother's 330xi doesn't have this system, instead it has a planetary central dif. Under dry conditions it'll give you a 60-40 rear wheel torque bias. So yes, there is considerable drivetrain loss over the rwd configurations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Altezza101 said:
my friend just got his license, and his mommy gave him her car which is the 330xi. i never really liked it to be honest, but w/e so we were messin around one day, and we decided to race. Were on a 2 laned straight away and from a 20mph roll we raced. At first his bmw pulled a bit on me becuz of the all-wheel drive, then when i hit liek 4500rpms no contest. Just destroyed him. Then we tried again from a dig, i did my laucn routine that danny showed me and again no contest jsut owned him. Felt good to finally beat someone straight up. Im gonna eventually race everyone of my friends. Beat the 330xi, Beat the CTS, gonna race my friends c70, and then there is another new volvo s40 T5. So im ready to race whenever.
-Dante
Nice kill!

I'd like to see the results with your friend's C70. I've been curious to see how we'd do against one of those. My money's on the C70, though...sorry. But I wish ya luck, nevertheless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
Miktrebla09 said:
Your point about the all wheel drive system applies only if the car he raced was an e90 3, equipped with xdrive. Your brother's 330xi doesn't have this system, instead it has a planetary central dif. Under dry conditions it'll give you a 60-40 rear wheel torque bias. So yes, there is considerable drivetrain loss over the rwd configurations.
No shit? Well slap my ass and call me Nancy. I could have sworn the e46 AWD system was very similar to the current xdrive. I'll have to look into it. Thanks. Still though, I doubt the drivetrain loss will be extremely evident until higher speeds (100+?). Not sure though.

Oh, and I think it is important to point out that the xi will have a few extra L-Bs tacked on to its curb weight due to the AWD system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o i forgot to mention, im not stock. i got a joe-z intake with a K&N high flow air filter coming on monday. Then i got toyomoto header and y-pipe, and a HKS drager II exhaust. So im thinkin of a 20-25hp gain with the simple bolt-ons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
k-lo said:
No shit? Well slap my ass and call me Nancy. I could have sworn the e46 AWD system was very similar to the current xdrive. I'll have to look into it. Thanks. Still though, I doubt the drivetrain loss will be extremely evident until higher speeds (100+?). Not sure though.

Oh, and I think it is important to point out that the xi will have a few extra L-Bs tacked on to its curb weight due to the AWD system.
Yeah, you're spot on. I think it weighs a few hundred more pounds (maybe more?). You might wanna look into the non xdrive awd systems. I can't say I'm completely positive about that.

I think drivetrain loss in awd is pretty significant. Especially when you consider the fact that people use 25-30% for awd cars when equating crank hp, as opposed to 15-20% for rwd cars. Can anyone confirm this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,925 Posts
C70 u might have a chance, depepnding which package they got. i mean liek which trim, whatever, cuz they have 2 turbo options, one thats roughly 200HP and one thats like 240 or 250HP...but S40s....dang i love those..got spanked by a bright shiny red one thats in my neighborhood on the freeway,,but i didnt mind cuz that thing is SEXXAY!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top