Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss here. Bone stock 01 is300 stalling only in park and neutural. Stays running fine in drive and reverse drove the car home 2 and a half hours without stalling. Even quickly shifting across neutural to reverse will cause it to stall. No cel at all. Cleaned and changed the maf also cleaned the trottlebody. No vaccuum leaks anywhere i can find.No clue where else to check. Any and all help appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,346 Posts
Hmm, sure seems like the neutral safety switch could be playing into this problem some way.

While I don’t advise anyone to try this in a normal situation, get the car where you can safely try and start it in drive or reverse.

Meaning turn the key to the on position and shift into drive or reverse (make sure to step on the brake before shifting) and then try and start the car while it’s in drive or reverse. If it cranks, I would be inclined to think you have a neutral safety switch problem.

Also, I’m sure others will chime in saying this is wrong and blah blah blah, it’s just the first thought that comes to my mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the neutral safety. Many things can cause it. Vacuum, cats clogged, injectors, fuel pressure and more. You need to try a few things and check more things.
Hmm, sure seems like the neutral safety switch could be playing into this problem some way.

While I don’t advise anyone to try this in a normal situation, get the car where you can safely try and start it in drive or reverse.

Meaning turn the key to the on position and shift into drive or reverse (make sure to step on the brake before shifting) and then try and start the car while it’s in drive or reverse. If it cranks, I would be inclined to think you have a neutral safety switch problem.

Also, I’m sure others will chime in saying this is wrong and blah blah blah, it’s just the first thought that comes to my mind.
I thought the same thing I've got a shift sensor harness and all the associated sensors already from my local yard to try. Also if I keep the rpms over 2k it will stay running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have any other imput I put a new crank and cam sensor in it. Shifter sensors and switches and a new maf still no dice. Stalling only in neutural and park but drives fine without stalling. I'm at a loss here.

·
5,974 Posts
Not sure on age of coils and ignitor connector looks good. The thing that gets me is it will idle in drive or reverse all day. It's only when in park or neutural. It stumbles and stalls and sometimes it's like the key was turned off.
Maybe a short in the harness? Have you looked and listens really well for any vacuum leaks?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts