Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kid I work with has a 2001 White IS300 for sale and is willing to sell it to me for around $9000-$9500. It has 78,000 miles on it and is mostly highway miles ( I can vouche for it). Is in great condition and has tints. How much do you think I can turn around and sell it for after buying it for so cheap. Good deal or not. Also if I decide to keep it, is it a good investment to sell my current ride and drop a turbo in the IS300? ( 2002 Acura TL-S with navigation)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just have on question to ask you before I answer. If you already know that the car is undervalued at that price and suggested so with this quote from you, "after buying it for so cheap," why are you even asking us? Also, it seems your intention is to turn it over and sell it for a higher price, as a real estate investor would say, "flip" the vehicle.

Asides from the obvious as you stated, yeah that car is extremely undervalued. I still see IS300's in that year around that milage go for $15,000 easy. It all but makes me wonder what happened to that vehicle? For 78,000 miles and if that kid is willing to part it out for just that much, what is wrong with it? Is there a salvage title, accident history, previous engine work, current trouble? You gotta admit, for that price, you are getting it at a steal private or non-private. And I seriously doubt that kid is stupid. He is willing to part it out to you for that price because there is something wrong with that car. JMHO though. Before you do decide to purchase it, make sure you hire an outside mechanic (not a friend, not an associate) but someone who has a mechanic's license and years' experience look over the car thoroughly. It is far better to spend $100 having a mechanic look at it and take that as a loss, as opposed to $10,000 gs and having to spend more to fix it back it for normal driving. Be careful! If it's such a good deal, it would already be sold by now. But if it is truly clean, then you just robbed the dude. Good luck to you either way.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I agree with kennethlin: Yeah that price is offly low maybe the title is salvage or rebuilt, or the car has been in an accident. Check it out n if checks out to be a clean title with no history of accidents or hits then ur go 2 go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest...the kid is the owners son and just wants to get rid of it. He's basically giving me the price a dealer would give him. Im gonna get the VIN number and check the title. I believe its clean. He originally said 11,500 I said 9,500 cash and he bit. And hes not the smartest kid on the block

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
sounds good n I get it once it checks out clean n clear. THen u sell ur ride to hook up this ride. Sounds good 2 me n let us know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it worth dropping a turbo in an engine with 80,000 miles on it?..Id only do this because I owe about $10,000 on my acura to my dad and i pay $185 a month..and being only 20 and doing this isnt so bad, but would ease up some payments.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yes they r as long as u take care of them meaning regular maintnance like oil changes, brake pads, change the tranny n diff fluid every 30k-40k miles, and also a radiator flush to the cooling system around 60k-70k. U should be fine n if u turbo it u should be on top of it most of the time n use synthetic oil. I use synthetic oil on mine but it is not necessay n it is not turbo. Hope this helps u out.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
get rid of the acura grab the IS and save up for boost..

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
I would check the vin first, that would be the deal of the century!!!!!.....you know the old saying "If something is too good to be true......"

·
Registered
656 Posts
nybsbl04 said:
Are the IS300's pretty reliable?
The IS 300 is THE most reliable entry level luxury car on the road, no joke. But, definitely get this one checked out thoroughly. $9500 is way too low, even with 78000 miles.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
what area are you in?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
hopefully it is not an is200 motor inside.. ha..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts