Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am chasing an Vibration in my front suspension. Pretty much the story since I got the car, chasing all of the different vibrations and clicking noises. This time it feels like a blown strut, it feels like when I get a bit of bounce in the road the car keeps bouncing. Its not a crazy amount but I can feel it in the wheel and sets off my OCD about these things. 01 IS300, Tein Type Flex, Upper control arms have no play, Upper Ball Joint is solid, Lower ball joints are new no play, I have RCA's, Tie Rods are solid, they have been replaced, there is no clicks or play in the suspension, at least when its not under load. Car lowered about 2 inch from stock, nothing crazy, top of the tire lines up with Fender Lip. Tension Rod Bushing has no cracks or tears, still has the lexus sticker on it. Wheel bearings are not making any noise, feel smooth. Rotors are new and im pretty sure not the issue, its not a braking issue, I spent 9 months troubleshooting that issue to find the first set of new rotors were crap.

I pulled the coilovers and pulled them apart, Tophat bearing has no play, the struts compress smoothly, no air pockets and extend completely smoothly(on their own). I think if the gas escaped they don't extend all the way, at least that's how the rear one I rebuilt was. No leaks, no fluid residue on the cartridge. I did find 2 things.

One of the struts had some negative preload, maybe 1-2mm gap fully uncompressed. Could this be the culprit? I think the spring may have compressed a bit, 4k springs that came with the coil overs, I have some Swift 70mm, 8" 4k/223lbs on my wishlist to replace.

The lower bushings on my struts are worn and sag a bit maybe 2mm, definitely need to be replaced. Do you thing that could create a feeling like a blown shock? I don't want to send them to tein, cost me a fortune last time and took forever to overnight parts from japan. Ill measure and see if I can find an alternate replacement.

I ordered some cheap struts to put on the car to test with my stocks were wasted and that's why I put on the teins, it has been a year or more fyi. very light usage, I don't drive much. I put my old lowering springs on the new struts(they used to sit 1/2inch too high for my taste) and now the car is undriveable the tire is on the fender, I couldn't even turn to get out of the driveway.( the combination between lowering springs and RCA is why its too low) I Added a 1/2 inch spacer, and am using every last thread on the tophat, its just barely driveable, hopefully my test drive is smooth and its just those 2 small issues that created the issue.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ordered some "FEBEST TAB-303 Front Shock Absorber Arm Bushing" to press into the Tein Struts, it looks like they use a stock size, I would press them out of the cheap struts I got but I want to save them just in case.

* EDIT* The FEBEST TAB-303 is to small for the Tein Bushing.

Test drive with the lowering springs and temp struts... still having an issue, front tires may be out of balance, ill mount some new tires and see if that helps, I rotated them and the problem was still present before but the damage to the tires may have already been done. I have a fresh set of tires I can mount and balance... actually... maybe ill just steal my wifes stock wheels to test with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if this is common knowledge but I was able to(barely) read the part number on the lower front shock bushing. 93019. Quick Google search shows a bunch of vendors cover the part. "Tein I Ring Bushing for Tein Coilovers SAP17-93019-9" About 20$ each. If the ones I ordered don't work I guess ill order one of those.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I replaced the bottom shock bush on the AS200 i had previously trying to fix a suspension noise, i got them from the Toyota dealer but didnt fix the issues i was having. I tried looking through my emails but i dont have the part number any more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the Tein Ones. Not a big deal. No wonder Tein does not just sell then, they were a headache to get out. The Sleeve is thicker then other bushings I have pressed out.

I picked up a set of Stance Coilovers as well. The bushing is even bigger on the stance.
One more note, the Tein Cartridge and Stance Cartridge are slightly different sized. Tein is slightly larger.

I ordered some Energy Coil Spring isolators as well for the top of the springs, one less thing to make noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also mounted up new tires, still getting a shaking in the steering wheel. Super frustrating, it will be smooth for a while and randomly shake. Not sure what it could be at this point.

·
Registered
794 Posts
From my experience vibrations from things like wheel bounce tends to be either the tire, the rim or a rotor. Tires wear over time obviously and what was balanced a while ago can wear out of balance, especially on cheap tires. Also with low profile tires it doesn't take much from the rim or tire being out to notice it thought the steering, as there is less sidewall to cushion what would otherwise be normal vibrations. The bushes would have to be pretty sloppy for it to feel that bad, though would depend on which bushes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running 215/50 17 for tires. So there is a little extra Cushion. I have Rotated the tires several times and put on new tires over the weekend. The issue has persisted through the changes. I don't think its the Rims or Tires. But honestly... if I knew I wouldn't be asking here.

Ill pay more attention when I'm driving to see if it happens at certain speeds, I don't think its consistent but maybe I'm just not paying enough attention. Rotors are good, the feeling is very different than rotors.

I'm stuck at the moment, the car is pretty much at the minimum drivable ride height, just waiting for the bushings so I can rebuilt my coils. Once I get it back to a decent height I can give it some more driving attention. My alignment is a bit off, I was working with tow plates to dial it in but I don't really have a flat surface to work in. I think ill just have to pay for an alignment.

I also forgot to note that I have Superpro Rack Bushings

·
Registered
794 Posts
when was the last time you got the wheels balanced though? I have had them do a cyclic type of vibration depending on the wear of the tire, usually on cheaper tires but still worth a check.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once I get my struts back together ill go get a balance and alignment.
Still waiting on the Tein Bushings. I got one set of spring isolators "Energy Suspension 9.6119G" they fit well but I didn't take into account that the top hat has a wider diameter that almost... almost fits the spring. There is a small bit of play and that was the reason why I wanted the isolators to begin with, I didn't want any vibration between the spring and strut. I ordered some "Energy Suspension 9.6103G" and we will see if they work, I may have to trim the isolators collar a bit to fit it in. I have no idea how long the lower bushings will take, once I ordered them I got an email saying they would come directly from the distributor, I assume tein and there would be a delay.. I was going to get with Febest and see if they have an alternative as Trying to get parts from Tein is a pain. The Febest Bushing was a quality part and well packaged. Just not the right part, should fit a stock strut nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bushing does not ship until 5-23... That's crazy, 45+ days just to ship. Big endorsement for Tein huh?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the Rona is an easy excuse but I'm pretty sure this is true any time. Seems like they don't want to provide normal wear items like this and because of this its not a priority. For the amount of products available you should be able to find this readily on Ebay/Amazon and other sellers.

There has got to be an alternative part, I don't want to use a 2 piece bushing as I have not had good results with them. I'm tempted to head into autozone with the bushing and see if they guy can start digging for an alternate.

I think im going to pull my RCA's to get some height back and put them back on when I get my bushings. My car is barely driveable as is.

The Energy 9.6103 did not work for the tein upper spring isolator, the ID is not wide enough. I pulled out my Dremel and made it work but as I have plenty of time I may try to order another one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered some additional Isolators. "Energy Suspension 9.6114G COIL SPRING ISOLATOR SET" Maybe I should get the R's for hotboi points.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update, 9.6114 Isolator is much too big. I don't know what the correct one would be, I just trimmed this one a bit and its a nice fit now. I would prefer a solid ring but I'm over it at this point. It has a inner lip to hold it in place and if it pushes out... well there was never an isolator there anyway and I'm sure it will be fine. Still a month to wait on that lower bushing...

Finally wrapped my front bumper. I have been putting that off for a good year. Came out much better than expected, ended up with a small spot on each side where I couldn't move/stretch so I had to cut. I just need to do a better job stretching the material so I can shrink it in those areas. I ordered the last piece of wrap so I can finish the car. Well... maybe not finish, I did want to pull the carbon from the hood and roof and color match. Sometimes I wish I had just dipped the car but then again removing the dip from the front bumper was a lot of work, 95% came off in one big piece, there were some thin areas on the edges and such where its not visible on the car but since I was wrapping the bumper I needed those edges and the back side to be smooth and clean for the wrap to stick. If anyone was curious... Avery Gloss Magnetic Burst Blue, it was one of the colors I sampled as a direct replacement for Spectra Blue Mica, the color matches at certain angles but magnetic bust blue has more purple and depth. When I couldn't find a match I just decided to wrap the whole car and since it was a close color I could do it slowly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shipping date was bumped to 6-4-20. Order was placed Apr 14 and I was expecting the ship date to be around 7 Days. Very Frustrating. I did order through THMotorsports and they have responded and given me updates within a day of requesting them. THM is not really at fault, I want to be angry but that wont help, I assume any other reseller will have the same issue, I just wish someone had stock in hand so I could just get what I need. My front shocks have been sitting on my bedroom floor and my car drives like crap and it will be close to 2 months for parts. These crappy DNA Motoring Bushings using the stock sleeve and barrel would work temporarly if I had not removed the sleeve.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Contacted Tein and they didn't want to service the bushings due to liability reasons. They recommended I order the Parts from Options Auto Salon. I contacted them and they said they would have the parts shipped on Wed and I would have them by the end of the week. Ill keep my order with THM open as a backup unless they delay it again. I don't want to cancel my order and for some reason Options delays it as well. I really just want my car to be fun again....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts