Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for an IS300 for months now and have been without a car since I sold my last one, about 6 months ago and I'm getting impatient. I luckily stumbled across an old ad and was like, "what the heck, it's probably sold but it's worth a call just incase." So I called, and the guy still has it, and said he would sell. I haven't started negotiating yet but he said if I had $7.5K the car would be mine, but the car books for 7K in excellent condition for my area by KBB value. I haven't looked at the car yet but they guy told me that he has had the car 2-3yrs and only put 7K miles on it and he works at a paint-less dent removal shop so I'm sure the appearance is in good shape. The car has just over 100K miles. What do you ladies and gents think is a fair price for the car?

Also, is there a way I can tell if the timing belt has been changed or not. He said he bought it at 93k so he's not sure if it had ever been done. I know I can call Lexus and see if they have record but if it wasn't done there that won't be helpful.

On a side note, it seems that a lot of IS300's, at least around here, sell for more than book price. They're pretty hard to find here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
check it out first then offer him a little under the bluebook value if you really like it. i doubt anyone will buy it for 7.5 if they know the value is 7k.i bet he said 7.5 just to get 7k out of you and make it seem like he lowered the price down or you

i bought my 2001 is300 with 100k for 4900 so i got lucky and that was 2 years ago.now the car has 150k lol

(im a little drunk right now so if i dont make sense sorry lol)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
seems pretty cheap trade in around here for that same car is around 6-7.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well it looks like I'm not going to get it anyways. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures before I went to look at it so I made the trip to see a disappointment. The car looked decent paint wise and ran very nice but I found a few things with body panel alignment so I think it's been in a wreck. I included some pictures below, are these signs of frame damage?
* apparently my phone was on black and white mode... so it's a little harder to see but here are some pictures.

Hard to see but if you look at the lower line of the trunk lid, where it meats the bumper. It goes from being close to the bumper on the pass. side and progressively gets bigger, creating a large gap by the time you reach the driver side

Here you can see a gap near the corner of the headlight

just the driver side light for reference

here is a picture of the front bumper. The hood doesn't quite meet up with either side of the bumper

Then there was this gap on the pass. side rear panel

other side, doesn't look quite as bad but still a little gap.

I also saw a paint line on the inner pass side front quarter panel (I think that's what its called) when I had the hood up, which shows that the panel had been repainted.

So are these an alarm or indicator of frame damage or just a bad repair job?

·
Registered
153 Posts
This car looks fucked. I wouldn't poke it with a stick unless I had a good body man, but even then.. if it's listed at KBB "Excelent" value, it's probably not worth it unless you don't mind those flaws. Someone beat this car up pretty hard -- the paint only looks good because they probably ran it through macco after fixing(sort of..) the panels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I don't plan on buying it, unless he gave a me an extremely good deal, and I would still be hesitant. Just curious if this kind of "whackyness" is due to frame damage or just a crappy repair job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
looks like this car was hit in the front and they bought new bumper, fenders and headlights.. painted all that, but didn't pull the damage out.. that is why its so messed up..
you should not give him more than 4k. in my opinion..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I got the carfax and it's clean, which is the only reason why I am semi considering it if he'll go low enough, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an accident. My dad worked at a dealership a few years back and they bought a car with a clean carfax and later found out, due to a customers complaint, that it had been in a pretty major accident, they got under it and realized there was frame damage but the outside still looked new...so that could be the case with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
no one knows if this could be a sign of frame damage? Is it probably just a bad alignment of the body panels/parts?
unlikley if it's plastic body parts , mine had a gap in the front when i took the headlights out to replace the balist on them. Took me a while to hang the bumper right. Owner probably rushed it. As for the rear don't know wtf is up with that but might be the same thing as the front laziness or one beer to many. For frame damage you gotta pop the hood and look under car tell tale signs or different shades of paint or sections that look outta place or doesn't match the other side.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I couldn't really get under the car at the time. I also noticed that the carpet in the trunk was wet, and it rained that day. So I'm not sure how the water got in but I'm pretty sure the trunk leaked somehow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.