Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup Everyone

This is what happened. I had to go grocery shopping tonight so I got into my car, started it up, popped it into E-shift mode and tried downshifting to 2nd except it wouldn't engage "2". It would go down to "3" and stay there. I was pissing my nuts off because I thought something broke.. but I really needed those groceries so I just popped it back in auto mode and drove down 1 block before I hit a red light. During the light.. I popped it back into E-shift and it finally went down to "2".

Is this considered as normal? Is there a warming up period for the transmission or something to engage the lower gear? Please lemme' know, I'm new to the community and especially to the IS300.

Kudos,
Jay

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
this has actually happened to me before. As long as it goes back to normal i think you are all good. It always happens to me when the engine is cold

·
Registered
186 Posts
Same for me. It only happens occasionally when its really cold out and its the first start. It goes away after like 30 secs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A LOT of toyotas or lexus have this feature, its to save wear and tear on the engine during cold starts. If you notice, it wont go beyond a certain RPM if u floor it. Same with the E shift, if the car is cold...it will not allow you to go above a certain RPM limit if your trying to down shift. Its a nice feature so people dont go around blowing their engines before the OIL pressure is at full effect.

Its always good to let your car run for about 1 minute before you go off and drive too. Older cars may need more time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yep, happens on cold start, to prevent from revving it too high and heating up drastically quick.
I think we all know whats happens to aluminum, metal, etc. when it goes from super cold to really hot!! I've watched Terminator 2 a few times ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.