Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Need a master! Valet will not work. If your car is a 2002+ then you can get a key at the dealer made and reprogrammed for around $400 more or less. Otherwise if your car is a 2001 then you need an entire new key setup with new masters which will cost you a fortune.
Can anyone confirm this?

I have an 03 and my local dealer says that I need an entire new set up... I also only have the valet but ordered a new master from Sewell uncut and unprogrammed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I bought a key it came with instruction exactly like you post but I cannot get to work. I think I did fast enough. Anybody have some suggestion? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I bought an '02 a couple of months ago. The car only came with one master key and remote. I went on eBay bought a key with the remote and have lexus dealer cut the blank key. The key that I bought I be able to start the car, unlock and lock right away with out programming. So I did not program my key. I only program my remote. Now the remote is working fine. My questions is do I need to program my key? Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These instructions do not work on my car. My drivers side door lock does not work with the electric switch. Is this the reason it doesn't work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
need help!

I have a 2001 IS 300 with a master key, I can't seem to get into program mode for immobilizer, once I pull of key security light blinks in about 2 seconds.

I was wondering if there is another way to do it, or if there are any parts in the car that I should check.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the guide, programmed the new key.

However I can't do the remote - my passenger side door lock is not working properly and doesn't lock unlock with the driver side controls. Am I screwed or is there a workaround?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been trying to get this done for the past week!

I have a 2001 IS300, and the FOB I was trying to program was passed on to me from a friend of mine (from his old IS300 that was traded-in)... so, it was "used".

I was able to easily get the key to open and turn on the car, but, the alarm/remote functions would not take. Turns out, the previous instructions (for my application) were slightly off... when cycling the locks 5-times, do it MANUALLY (i.e. opening/closing the lock knob right next to the chrome door handle) on the driver's side door lock only - NOT the electric switch (which opens/locks all doors)...

HERE'S WHAT WORKED FOR ME:

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door*, Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
*note, only the driver's door is being locked/unlocked - no other door locks should be
moving, opening or closing.
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door*, Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
*note, only the driver's door is being locked/unlocked - no other door locks should be
moving, opening or closing.
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.
8. On the remote, Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

At this point, I closed the door and hit the "lock" button on the alarm, and the remote worked!!!, then hit "unlock" on the remote to make sure, and it still worked!!! Re-opened and closed the driver's door to close/stop the process.

Hope that helps those out there still struggling.

Thank you so much! My driver-side lock kept getting stuck (sticky) using the power method, but your instructions to do it manually worked for me. So happy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2000 RX 300 with only one Ignition Key. My son lost the get so I ordered a new key from Sewell Lexus The key arrived today and it fits into the ignition but will not turn. They charged me $232.00 for the key. At this point I believe the ignition was changed prior to out purchase of the vehicle. I can purchase a used ignition with key for about $70.00. Is there a way that I can program it to start the engine?

·
Registered
367 Posts
OK, so I know I have the bastard year of '01 (that only came with a valet key which happens to open the trunk for some odd reason) and I know that I would have to change the ECU and get new keys but my question is.................

if someone was parting out their '01, could I take their ECU, master key, ignition cylinder and plug it into my car? Would I need any other parts or programming?

I just want the key fob to work. I dont care if I have another key for the trunk and door locks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of the original MASTER key fobs broke and I ordered a new MASTER key uncut. Afterwards, I cut it for $40. The locksmith wanted to charge me $80 to program the key to the car. I thought, "how hard can it be to program the key and remote?", so I searched and came across the instructions below. I managed to get them before the site was SHUT DOWN.

It worked for my 2004 Lexus IS300.
I did get feedback from another IS300 owner stating it worked for him as well. So I wanted to post it here, and hopefully it get sticky and stays on the site forever;);););)

Hopefully it helps someone out there. and this is not a re-post, I did not find it anywhere and wanted to share it you IS300 Enthusiasts.

Key Programming
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on the brake one time.

Note: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will be come on and start blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door lock do not cycle (lock, unlock) by themselves then the car isn't in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remove. Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT. The locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle TWICE it have failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn't receive a good signal from the remove. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing step 8 and 9. 2) Don't hold the remove buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying step 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10) Close and open door to end programming procedure.

ENJOY....PLEASE POST WHETHER IT WORKED OR NOT ..HOPEFULLY IT WORKED:):):)
I have a 2006 IS250 with a keyless ignition. Any idea how to reprogram the keyless entry key fob. I recently replaced the battery in the fob, as prompted by my computer screen, and have not been able to use the key fob to lock and/or unlock my doors and trunk. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
i know brought this back from the dead.. my master remote stopped working from one day to another a while back it lights up when you press it but tried programming it and after alot of lock unlock driver lock would stick so i tried it the manual way and still nothing! i hate using the key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can the remote keyless be reprogrammed again on the same master key if you put the ECU in another car or will it still be setup for the ecu no matter what car the ecu is in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for any advice or tips. I dropped my keys the other night and the master key broke and I didn't realize the chip had fallen out. When I went to my car later and tried to start it I had power from the battery(radio and lights worked) and the engine tried to crank over but wouldn't start. I called the dealership and asked them about it they had told me its a part of the anti theft feature if the key fob is not communicating with the vehicle the key will allow the engine to crank but not start. The kicker to it all is that this was my only key I've had since I bought the car and everything I've looked up so far has said you can program a new key as long as you have an original but as I've lost that chip I can't program a new one this way. The dealership told me I would have to get it towed in buy new keys and get the computer flashed for a price range of $600-800. Does anyone know of another possible method that can help me get the car running again?

·
Registered
179 Posts
No other way you can go about this... The key must be paired to engine ECU now and RESET. The engine ecu now must be re flashed and new key immobilizer re-seed must now happen through communication with Toyota for authorization and reseed key number to enter into the ecu.. Sorry... Labor alone is prob about $200 plus parts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I couldn't help but notice that no one said whether the trunk open function worked. Everyone said their doors unlocked and locked with the remote being programed, but what about the trunk open button?

·
Registered
590 Posts
This programming method worked for me. I just had bought a master remote key on eBay that cost me only $37 total pre-cut and shipped to my home. After following these instructions the key works like a champ! Thanks a bunch. Btw, my local Lexus Stealer wanted $250 for a cut and programmed key. My local locksmiths both quoted me $199. Also, to the last poster, yes your programmed key will also open your trunk. Finally, please note that if you do the remote programming correctly, the locks will open and close at the end like it says, so you will hear two clicks, but that is only one cycle. If you do it wrong, you will hear 4 clicks (equals 2 cycles).

41 - 60 of 81 Posts