So I bought a Team Lexus IS300, need help with the JRZ coilovers - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I bought a Team Lexus IS300, need help with the JRZ coilovers

So yea, I managed to buy one of the old Team Lexus IS300 Grand Am Cars. I'm wanting to redo a few things and tidy them up to make it a bit more reliable.

Right now the JRZ Coilovers have remote resevoir shocks and the lines going to the resevoirs for the front pair are running along the frame rail in the wheel wells and the tire is rubbing on them pretty good when you get to full lock.

I want to re-route them but in order to do so one end needs to be disconnected. I know there are pressures and shock oil at play here so I don't want to just go wild and pull them right off.

Does anyone have the proper procedures for installing these things? I know if the system is opened,even if the pressure is relieved, there has got to be some way to bleed them when putting them back in so no air is trapped and causes cavitation.

I've googled around all over the internet and on the JRZ site (both Europe and US ones) and can find nothing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

JDM ALan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Deity

Pics?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

wow...pics haha. sorry cant help you on them coilovers though

2005 MSM Lexus IS300

Stock?

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Test Mule/Parts Breaker

Location: I'm just trying to see how many letters you can fit in this field and still have it display, NV

Could you make a hole large enough for the reservoir to fit through instead of trying to disssemble the shock?

Do you need the line between the two to be longer or do you just need it moved?

Team Bukkake: In your face racing...Autocross, Drift, Time Attack and Road Race.
I drive a Toyota/Lexus Parts bin: Sequoia 4x4 driveshaft, Supra TT trans, LS400 throttle body, etc., ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfro View Post
60% of the time it worked everytime.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

No, I've got a cellphone pic or two but they're not that great and I need to find somewhere to host it.

The seat is pretty cool. It's a Sparco Corsa and has "Team Lexus 2002 Grand-Am cup Champions" embroidered on the back pad.

I'll see about getting some better pics of it. Not much to look at since it's all apart... but Pics are fun!

JDM ALan
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi_TRD View Post
Could you make a hole large enough for the reservoir to fit through instead of trying to disssemble the shock?

Do you need the line between the two to be longer or do you just need it moved?
It is possible to make the hole larger but where i'm going to route it will preclude it from going back in that way so.... trying to save the hassle of welding patch panels in.

Just re-routing it really. The lines are long enough that the front resevoirs are mounted on the roll cage so you access them thru the rear doors. Can't imagine them being any longer!

JDM ALan
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Test Mule/Parts Breaker

Location: I'm just trying to see how many letters you can fit in this field and still have it display, NV

Without knowing how/where you're gonna mount them it's gonna be difficult to provide much assistance without disassembly.

I've done remote res shocks on several offroad truck & haven't had to ever disassemble them.

With as much line as you have would it be possible to pull some slack & reroute the lines?

Team Bukkake: In your face racing...Autocross, Drift, Time Attack and Road Race.
I drive a Toyota/Lexus Parts bin: Sequoia 4x4 driveshaft, Supra TT trans, LS400 throttle body, etc., ...

Quote:
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Well, the plan is to route it into the frame rail about halfway between from where the shock is to where the rail meets the firewall.

After it is in the frame rail it'll snake down thru it and pop up inside the cabin either in the floor board at the drivers feet and run rearwards to where it is now along the cage or if it'll go all the way back come up thru the rear passenger floor and up to the resevoir.

Right now it goes along the outside of the frame rail and goes thru the firewall at the top f the foot well. This poses two issues. Hose wear/damage and any water/debris kicked off the tire comes in at your feet. I want to close this hole up as it is right behind the tire.

All I really want to do is minimize how much is exposed and has the possibility of being snagged by a shredded tire debris or rubbed thru while turning.

JDM ALan
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Test Mule/Parts Breaker

This isn't a JRZ but I'm sure the procedure is similar.

Shock Rebuild

Obviously you'll need a seal kit & oil. Other than that you would just need to know if there needs to be a certain amount of pressure once you seal it.

Unfortunately, most of the stuff I seem to be finding is for motocycle & snowmobile shocks.

Silly question: Is there a quick disconnect at either end? Some shocks don't always have threaded fittings on the reservoir.

Quote:
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Thanks, I had not found that.

Might be more hassle than I want to contend with....

I'm debating about taking a length of steel tube and slicing it lengthwise and weld that into the frame rail side using that to create a recess that the hose can sit down into. I could even fabricate a nice 'scrub plate' to fasten over top to hide and protect it.

There is no disconnect. I know some Moton models have these. They also have nice swivel fittings on the ends too.

Mine has a simple banjo bolt arrangement on both ends.

JDM ALan
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Loyalist

need to see pix lol. Is it one of the really stripped down models? That would be sweet to boost one of those...

GGP IS300-2.75 srt turbo-megan coils, rotora bbk, volk le-37's,custom tinted tails, black pearl badging, lots of other stuffs..
MSM IS300-intake, chrome shortie antenna, painted calipers...
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

JRZ went on to become MOTON. Do you have quick disconnects? If you decide to disconnect them, remember you have to bleed off the nitrogen pressure first.

I'm running MOTON clubsports w/ remotes w/ quick disconnects.

TEAM LEXUS IS300 GRAND AM RACECAR!: JRZ 3-way dampers | V160 6spd | BBS RG-R | MOTEC | Pi Research ECU
Daily Driver: '13 4Runner Trails edition
Fri/Sat/Sun car: Scion FR-S Whiteout, RAYS 57Xtreme
'01 IS300 on MOTON Clubsports & Vortech Supercharged - SOLD!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

I'll say it's striped down....

Pretty much a bare body shell with a cage and a seat in it. Doors are cut out. Only thing from the stock interior is the dash and the column surround.

I have been able to piece the following together about it and some interesting things have come up.

This car was not made off of a Body in White. The bodies in White have no VIN stamped in them from Lexus. This car does.

Bodies in white have no seam sealer on all of it's joints. Just at where the cowl panel seals to the firewall at the base of the windshield because it's only accessabile before the panel is welded in. This car has all of it's seams sealed like a full production car.

It was an early 2001 model actually assembled in 2000 (I think, need to check the sticker in the jamb again). Gunmetal Graphite Pearl. Automatic with LSD.

Going off the VIN stamped in it it's number 1010 off the line.

If you put the VIN into the Lexus parts system it accepts it as a valid VIN but no parts are able to be looked up. You just get a big box with an X in it when you click on the different parts groups. When you do this with any other IS VIN like my 2001 e-shift or 2002 5-speed it takes you into the subgroup lists.

Carfax does not have any record of it and their website throws an error when you put it in.

I really would like to dig more into it's history. I need to get in touch with someone at Lexus someday and see if any info can be found. I could put a portfolio together and keep it with the car.

I'm a big racing history buff so things like this are like candy to me.

Who knows, someday it might be the only surviving example of the Grand Am Lexus.

My buddy at the Lexus parts department used to work with some of the BMW racing teams when the E30 M3's were new and is trying to talk me into restoring it back to Grand-Am specs but I'm shy some of the hard to get parts like the 2.8 liter engine and header.

I'll be starting a build thread soon with more details and pics. Right now pulling those coilovers off the right way was my major concern. They are pretty spendy pieces.

JDM ALan
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Follower

I feel like the fat girl on Duece Bigalo Male Gigalo "Cakes and Pies, Cakes and Pies!!!"
You must post up pics of the car to feed us or start your build thread with plans.

2003 IS3xx V4.2 Titan Tuned

v1.0-2003 Stock 2JZGE VVTi N/A
v2.0-1999 JDM Swap 2JZ-GTE VVTi TT
v3.0-Built 2JZ GTE VVTi Single Turbonetics BPU
v4.0-Built 2JZ GTE non-VVTi Single Schwitzer APU++
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japsfinest View Post
I feel like the fat girl on Duece Bigalo Male Gigalo "Cakes and Pies, Cakes and Pies!!!"
You must post up pics of the car to feed us or start your build thread with plans.
I lirl'ed.

I've been busy the last few weekends. Not much progress on anything other than moving my brother to his new home.

Yaaaaaayyyyy.....

I've got a body man coming over to the shop this weekend to look at it and give a quote on fixing a few things.

Probably will roll it out of the shop and snap some pics then.

JDM ALan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Race Related

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page