User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2nd Autocross; Damper setting tips

ok so im doing my 2nd autox and i just got new tires in the rear, the new s-04 PP by Bridgestone. my IS has the white tokico shocks and i was wondering what would be some good damper setting? it can be set 1-5 with 5 being the hardest. thanks for all the help

2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6spd (I miss the IS)
-Sold- Tracked/AutoX'd 2002 IBP Is300 5spd

3 Pedals FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Lurker

Tuning the shock will have little benefit for a second time out, lots of skills to develop and concentrating on changing the cars characteristics won't help at all. Your best bet is to leave them middle to stiff and work on looking ahead, hand placement, and your line. There is no correct or easy answer as to where to set the shocks, even if someone had your identical setup (incl tires etc).

If the surface is rough I would nudge them a bit softer, since the tokicos adjust both compression and rebound. You can also use them to balance the car if you are getting terrible push or oversteer, just soften the end thats not getting enough grip. Just try to set them once after the first run and then after that concentrate on all the rest.

Have fun!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

ok thanks for the tip, i ended up not adjusting them at all. i was getting some bad understeer in the tight areas, but i think thats due to me breaking to late

2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6spd (I miss the IS)
-Sold- Tracked/AutoX'd 2002 IBP Is300 5spd

3 Pedals FTW

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
i would say most likely your late braking is what was causing your understeer. i dont know what your driving ability is but too many times i see new guys turning the wheel more when they encounter understeer. ive been doing auto x for 3 years now and i experience a lil more oversteer then anything but i feel i have it pretty balanced. what kind of tire pressures were you running? I run 42F 38R usually. im no expert but im had my share of trial and error trying to dial my car in. i'd like to hear about more guys running auto x.

02 msm
SRT Intake ~ H&R ~ Illumina ~ Hotchkis ~ Centric/Brembo rotors ~Hawk HPS ~ ATE Super Blue ~ Goodridge ~ 5sp ~ LSD ~ Tow Hitch!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM

5 in the front and 4 in the back. come one now

2005 IIP 5sp manual, gen 8 angel eyes (blue), 8% neutral film tint all around, shocks, springs and sways.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Aficionado

When i autocross my is300 with the tokico illuminas, i set them to 5 front and 5 rear for the first few runs to see how it feels. Usually, i like to have a little more rotation in the rear so i soften up the rear for less understeer and slight oversteer. The last autocross i was at i ended up with this setting of 4 front and 3 rear. But then again i have this setup paired with hotckis sway bars front and rear both are set at the stiffest setting. As for tire pressure i usually run 32psi on all 4 corners and adjust the tire pressure as the day goes on.

Just a shot of my car last June @ Willow Springs:

Injen CAI| Ralco | TEIN | TRD | Magnaflow | Hotchkis | BBS RS 17"x 8&9 | Bridgestone Potenza RE760

2002 IS300 IBP 5spd Manual w/ OEM Supra NA Clutch Kit+Flywheel
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Lurker

As others have said I would set the shocks and then leave them where they are for a season. "People understeer not cars"

Here is a shock dynograph of a Tokico Illumina so you can get an idea of the impact of the adjustment. It is for a different car so the numbers are different but I would expect the shape of the curve to be similar.

2002 IS300 5MT: 2012 One Lap of America Competitor/ Hotchkiss Sways | Bilsteins | Tanabe Touring | Xerd Y
1993 Integra: SCCA ITA Prep, #49 Grp2/5 ICSCC
1994 Landcruiser: Daily Driver/Tow Vehicle/Trail Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Race Related

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page