IS300 Sold! New G35 Build Thread - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
IS300 Sold! New G35 Build Thread

So finally, after a year of putting my car back to stock and looking into what I wanted to get, I finally made a move. Originally, I wanted a 350z, but I finally decided I wanted the perks of a luxury car that I'm used to, with nearly the same performance and body style. Ergo, the Infinity G35 coupe was exactly what I was looking for!

About a month or two of looking went by and I could not seem to find what I wanted. Then one miraculously came along when I was starting to lose hope. I walked out the door with the keys less than 3 days after it was listed.

2004 Infiniti G35
-6mt coupe with leather/sport package
-All factory options
-54,025 miles
-Brand new OEM clutch/flywheel & shocks
-Nearly perfect paint
-Perfect factory maintenance records
-Single-owner weekend car from Sctottsdale
__________________________________________________ ___________

1. Fresh from the dealership!







2. Took off the grill and painted it low-gloss black with Plastidip. Hard to work with, but completely worth not having rock chips on your grill.




3. I've already started modding after having the car for a month. Ugh. I bought a JWT intake to get rid of the amazingly terrible stock air-box and extremely baffled intake system. The sad thing is that I feel an extreme difference, and not just in the butt dyno, but also in the responsiveness of the car and how it reacts to throttle input. Pics to come.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________






Out with the old



Here is a link to the thread:
https://my.is/forums/f90/who-likes-sl...s-i-do-416738/
Stance:Nation - One Bad Four Door

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD

Last edited by twestman; 11-11-2011 at 03:13 AM.
twestman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Maxed out Rep Club Member
 
02isjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lititz, PA
Posts: 14,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Wow, tough choice. I can see why you're having trouble. I would have to go with the Algernon Intellesse first, then the 2nd set of Works and finally the RPF1's.

©2006 my.IS
2004 S4 6MT: "Gertrude" Sold :-/
2002 IS300 AR 5MT: "Rhonda" Sold :-(

"Wheel gap is like vagina... The more fingers you can fit, the worse off you are."
Praise the lowered!
02isjw is offline  
post #3 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Class III Aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
the Enkeis as lighter is better

Vice President and CTO of The A.S.S

“I’m sorry, but having a DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch.” - Jezza
drunkenmonkey is offline  
 
post #4 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02isjw View Post
Wow, tough choice. I can see why you're having trouble. I would have to go with the Algernon Intellesse first, then the 2nd set of Works and finally the RPF1's.
I know... I'm leaning towards the lower offset VS-XX.... But then again the Intellesse are so rare and hard to find.

Dammit.

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD

Last edited by twestman; 06-12-2009 at 12:08 AM.
twestman is offline  
post #5 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
           
Garage
I'm guessing that the 35/38 Enkei's will have the best fit (without having to do a lot of fender work), but I'm a sucker for a polished lip, so I'd go for the Work VS-XX 18x8 +38 & 18x9.5 +38. If you drop it to a zero finger gap, the rear should be flush or have a little poke. My 18x9+38 (rear) were flush with a 0.25-0.5 finger gap. 18x8+38 will be sunk once you drop it to a 0.5 finger gap. Yeah, the "x finger gap" isn't an exact science, but you get the idea lol.

Do you have plans to track these wheels?

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
rvalero is offline  
post #6 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
I'm guessing that the 35/38 Enkei's will have the best fit (without having to do a lot of fender work), but I'm a sucker for a polished lip, so I'd go for the Work VS-XX 18x8 +38 & 18x9.5 +38. If you drop it to a zero finger gap, the rear should be flush or have a little poke. My 18x9+38 (rear) were flush with a 0.25-0.5 finger gap. 18x8+38 will be sunk once you drop it to a 0.5 finger gap. Yeah, the "x finger gap" isn't an exact science, but you get the idea lol.

Do you have plans to track these wheels?
Negatory on the the tracking. Just plan on DD'ing them. I don't auto-x so hopefully they'd stay in good condition like my current wheels have.

I have 18x8 +40 F right now and they're sunken in at my -.25 finger gap. I plan on having a finger gap at most and also adding maybe a 5mm spacer up front, but my only concern would be my 6kg rear coils since they're so soft. I never have anyone in the car, but there's always that chance of hitting a bad bump and compressing the suspension too far to where it hits the flush wheels/tires. But whatever.

As far as unsprung weight advantage goes, I'd go with the RPF1's (that and they're a hell of a lot cheaper), but I have always wanted some Work VS-XX in gold for my GGP... I'm a sucker in that regard.

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD

Last edited by twestman; 06-12-2009 at 12:09 AM.
twestman is offline  
post #7 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
           
Garage
haha, yeah I saw that the 2 sets are pretty close. At my current ride height, I would have liked my wheels to be a little more aggressive. I could always run spacers, but I don't want to bother with them.

If they are just going to be DD wheels, just go for what ever tightens the front of your trousers.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
rvalero is offline  
post #8 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
haha, yeah I saw that the 2 sets are pretty close. At my current ride height, I would have liked my wheels to be a little more aggressive. I could always run spacers, but I don't want to bother with them.

If they are just going to be DD wheels, just go for what ever tightens the front of your trousers.
Yeah they're somewhat conservative but I think it really wouldn't make too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. It could just potentially create more of a hastle for daily driving. What coils are you using now? I'm thinking about replacing the rear springs to the 8kg eibachs on my ExV's to compensate for the mushy ride and hopefully the aggressive offset won't create many problems.

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD
twestman is offline  
post #9 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
89 views and nobody wants to give me their opinion?! Bueller?...... Bueller?

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD
twestman is offline  
post #10 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
it is hard, i dont know, i would not go aggressive if u want wide tire but u have stated what u want to run so i guess u know exactly what u want, i wouldnt go aggressive only cause i want a fat tire in the rear

the difference between the 2 brands besides the weight and price, is obviously detail and standing out, the Enkei's are like racing wheels that do not grab your attention too much, but just enough to blend and be subtle

so what is the reason for 18's vs 17's? u do know that tire prices between the two just gets bigger and bigger the bigger the tire you put on and brand wise too

i just wonder how much of a benefit 17's are over 18's in performance if you have both relatively the same weight

i know i felt big difference from the stock wheels to the ones i have which are also like 16 lbs or something like that

2002 IS300 auto CW
SRT intake w R-ECU / XLE Throttle Body DBW to DBC kit / Xerd ypipe moded / Tanabe Racer Super Medallion muffler / Swift Springs / Tokico Illumina shocks / wheels: Kosei 17x8 +45 / Custom Ground kit / StopTech SS Brake Lines

Project Completed - Throttle Body DBW to slave DBC conversion
Drutort is offline  
post #11 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal 626 聖蓋博
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
           
Get the Intelesse!
If you live in LA, theres a GREAT deal on a set right now

*Front: 19x8, +25 offset
*Rear: 19x10, +32 offset

FS: Algernon Intelesse Rims 19x8, 19x10, 5x114.3.


personally i'd not go w/ any VSXX's, they are overrated. It's kinda of a "Me too" wheel.

あなたが読むことができない日本
Jordan_Inc is offline  
post #12 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drutort View Post
it is hard, i dont know, i would not go aggressive if u want wide tire but u have stated what u want to run so i guess u know exactly what u want, i wouldnt go aggressive only cause i want a fat tire in the rear

the difference between the 2 brands besides the weight and price, is obviously detail and standing out, the Enkei's are like racing wheels that do not grab your attention too much, but just enough to blend and be subtle

so what is the reason for 18's vs 17's? u do know that tire prices between the two just gets bigger and bigger the bigger the tire you put on and brand wise too

i just wonder how much of a benefit 17's are over 18's in performance if you have both relatively the same weight

i know i felt big difference from the stock wheels to the ones i have which are also like 16 lbs or something like that

Hahaha you should get the RPF1's and I'll get the VS-XX

Well, with a 18x9.5 +38, I can still run a 255/35 or even a 265 if I want, I just cant be at my current ride height and I'll have to pull the fenders a little. Kaptain86 did it with his 18x9.5 +38 RPF1's and that's what I planned on running with, I just happened to find those Work VS-XX that had the same offsets and I've wanted a set for the longest time! Also, kdog had 18x9.5 +38 with the fender lips rolled flat and no other mods with a 245/40, no rubbing.

I don't have my car for performance purposes, because it's not turbo, and it's pretty slow regardless. The weight difference between the VS-XX and my current setup will be maybe adding a lb or two to the rear and that's it. I could get the RPF1's and gain a better edge performance wise, but I'm not in that mindset. I'm getting 18's because I think 19's are too big for how low I want to be, and 17's look too small in the wheel wells and have to bulky of a sidewall. I think a 40 series sidewall on an 18" wheel is the perfect composition of style, comfort and performance. I think others would agree, which is why many choose to go with 18's over 17's. Now when it comes to track wheels, light 17's are the way to go!

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD
twestman is offline  
post #13 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Inc View Post
Get the Intelesse!
If you live in LA, theres a GREAT deal on a set right now

*Front: 19x8, +25 offset
*Rear: 19x10, +32 offset

FS: Algernon Intelesse Rims 19x8, 19x10, 5x114.3.


personally i'd not go w/ any VSXX's, they are overrated. It's kinda of a "Me too" wheel.
I'd love to get some Intellesse, but the only problem is that I can't find the right offset and width! The ones up for sale now are super sick but I want a slightly wider rear. 19's are also a no-go. Haha I think VS-XX's are COMPLETELY overrated and way too many people have them!

However, I really don't care what other people have. Hahaha they're a sick wheel and I have honestly never seen any in real life, so I think that the chances of running across someone in my area that has them is slim to none.

It's still a tough choice..... Haha

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD
twestman is offline  
post #14 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by twestman View Post
Hahaha you should get the RPF1's and I'll get the VS-XX

Well, with a 18x9.5 +38, I can still run a 255/35 or even a 265 if I want, I just cant be at my current ride height and I'll have to pull the fenders a little. Kaptain86 did it with his 18x9.5 +38 RPF1's and that's what I planned on running with, I just happened to find those Work VS-XX that had the same offsets and I've wanted a set for the longest time! Also, kdog had 18x9.5 +38 with the fender lips rolled flat and no other mods with a 245/40, no rubbing.

I don't have my car for performance purposes, because it's not turbo, and it's pretty slow regardless. The weight difference between the VS-XX and my current setup will be maybe adding a lb or two to the rear and that's it. I could get the RPF1's and gain a better edge performance wise, but I'm not in that mindset. I'm getting 18's because I think 19's are too big for how low I want to be, and 17's look too small in the wheel wells and have to bulky of a sidewall. I think a 40 series sidewall on an 18" wheel is the perfect composition of style, comfort and performance. I think others would agree, which is why many choose to go with 18's over 17's. Now when it comes to track wheels, light 17's are the way to go!
i think the big problem with RPF1's is that everyone and there dog has some wheel that looks like it :/

but for the price and performance you cant go wrong, and i think you could always sell them easy though not worth much if you buy them for 200-300 each?

i do see your point on the 18's but you end up paying for a tire the same price as the freaken wheel.. or do you go with cheap tires?

oh can you fit 275's on those 9.5's? with the 45 offset? cause 275's are like 245's when it comes to how off your speedometer would be, 265 are like 2% and 255 are in between the 245's and 275's

check it out
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WheelOffsetCalc.html

2002 IS300 auto CW
SRT intake w R-ECU / XLE Throttle Body DBW to DBC kit / Xerd ypipe moded / Tanabe Racer Super Medallion muffler / Swift Springs / Tokico Illumina shocks / wheels: Kosei 17x8 +45 / Custom Ground kit / StopTech SS Brake Lines

Project Completed - Throttle Body DBW to slave DBC conversion

Last edited by Drutort; 06-05-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Drutort is offline  
post #15 of 800 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: żdn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ
Posts: 6,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drutort View Post
i think the big problem with RPF1's is that everyone and there dog has some wheel that looks like it :/

but for the price and performance you cant go wrong, and i think you could always sell them easy though not worth much if you buy them for 200-300 each?

i do see your point on the 18's but you end up paying for a tire the same price as the freaken wheel.. or do you go with cheap tires?

oh can you fit 275's on those 9.5's? with the 45 offset? cause 275's are like 245's when it comes to how off your speedometer would be, 265 are like 2% and 255 are in between the 245's and 275's

check it out
Wheel Offset Calculator
Yeah they certainly are a very common wheel style! That's why I like the Works and Algernon's... They're unique! Plus, the gold face and polished lips would look sick on my GGP.... The RPF1's are about $300 apiece and could probably be resold for a decent amount down the road. However, the VS-XX and the Intellesse will have a fantastic resale value down the road (provided they're in good condition). Plus, they can always be refinished and sold for a decent amount of pocket change!

Actually, the tires I buy are relatively inexpensive in most cases. I'm planning on buying some S-Drive's also, and "out the door" cost from discount tire direct for some 225/40 255/35 is a little over $700. For the same S-Drive's you have (245/45r17), it's $650 out the door......

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD
twestman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i cant decide 01yellowiskid Wheels and Tires 6 04-27-2007 12:35 AM
Help Me Decide!!!!! sexyLexy808 Wheels and Tires 2 07-04-2005 03:29 AM
Help me Decide IVXX Showroom 13 05-25-2005 11:32 AM
*Please help me decide!!!* SactownIS300 Wheels and Tires 8 05-27-2004 09:50 AM
How did you guys decide..... NY IS300 Wheels and Tires 23 11-15-2002 12:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome