Lexus IS Forum banner

To eShift or not to eShift

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  theskribe 
#1 ·
Owners forum...I'm in!!! I'm in!!!

Ok, I know this topic has been beaten to death on the general forums. But I just want to bring it up one more time cuz I think I get better acceleration when I'm controling the shift points.

When you want to launch the IS300 from a stand still are you better off leaving it in automatic and hitting on the gas pedal or are you better off starting off in manual, letting it shift from 1st to 2nd automatically, then you control the latter shift points? Of coarse both ways with the trac off and pwr button on.

When I do this in automatic it feels like the tranny shifts way too early, however when in manual I can shift closer to red line in each gear.

Now remember I'm asking what's better when starting from a stand still...no roll ons or down shifting while in motion, no power braking etc...

#3 ·
My observations are similar. The car feels much faster employing E-shift than without in pretty much all circumstances. I'm of the suspicion that both Manual and D-Power Mode allow the torque converter to lock up earlier than D-Normal mode, resulting in higher efficiency but more abrupt shifts. I'm also of the suspicion that Power Mode is not necessary when in Manual.

Once the car is a bit more broken in, I'll get all permutations of 0 to 60 with a G-Tech.

#4 ·
You do have to be a bit more careful utlizing e-shift. If you stand on the gas pedal, and you are using e-shift, you better know exactly how long it takes to shift the various gears. If you wait too long, you will be limited by the redline governor, while it shifts. I have had that happen, and felt like I was going to be thrown through the front window, when all of a sudden acceleration just stopped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.