Lexus IS Forum banner

Cruise Control Oddity

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rmbracalente 
#1 ·
Anyone else find it odd that the cruise control cancels itself out (forgets its setting) if you slow down to about 25mph. This is supposed to happen according to the manual. No other vehicle I've owned has done this.

I find this to be annoying.

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

#5 ·
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
My 92 Maxima was the same way - cruise canceled around 40mph. Do you have roads in MN where you need cruise control at 25 mph?

For me, cc only comes into play on the highway...
I wasn't referring to the inability to set the cruise at a speed less than 25mph. What I mean is that you can have the cruise set at 60 and then brake for a stoplight, slowing to below 25, then you accelerate again, nearing 60 and attempt to 'resume' the cruise control, the IS300 has 'cancelled' itself or forgotten the speed. In all other vehicles I've had or driven (mostly all domestic), the cruise control remembers the speed until either 1) it is physically turned off with a button or 2) the vehicle is shut off or taken out of drive.

In regard to when I use cc, there are many times on stretches of 4-lane highway with occasional stoplights (maybe every 5 - 10 miles) when cruise is useful but having to find the exact speed and reset the cruise is a PITA.

Rob

#7 ·
Don't know if this is just a Toyota thing or not, but I'm pretty sure that applying the brake pedal generally cancels cruise control in such a way that you can't just resume. This is the way it worked on my previous Toyotas, and I'm pretty sure my SC300 did the same thing.

If you cancel the cruise control by pulling the cruise handle towards you, resume should work (as long as you don't go below 25-35 mph or hit the brake).

There are probably other nuances that cause Resume not to work...I've just gotten used to the behaviour over the last 13 years of owning Toyota products. I admit, sometimes it's a little vexing when resume doesn't work, but I've just gotten used to speeding up with the skinny pedal & hitting set again.

Originally posted by MNSpectraBlueIS:
I wasn't referring to the inability to set the cruise at a speed less than 25mph. What I mean is that you can have the cruise set at 60 and then brake for a stoplight, slowing to below 25, then you accelerate again, nearing 60 and attempt to 'resume' the cruise control, the IS300 has 'cancelled' itself or forgotten the speed. In all other vehicles I've had or driven (mostly all domestic), the cruise control remembers the speed until either 1) it is physically turned off with a button or 2) the vehicle is shut off or taken out of drive.

In regard to when I use cc, there are many times on stretches of 4-lane highway with occasional stoplights (maybe every 5 - 10 miles) when cruise is useful but having to find the exact speed and reset the cruise is a PITA.

Rob

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.