newbie looking at buying an is200 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

newbie looking at buying an is200

Hi im new to the forum and possibly looking to buy a is200.
So where to start, im a technician for nissan so working on my car isnt a great issue however I dont really want an unreliable car I fix enough in the week.
I used to work at Toyota only for 12months but I did service a couple of sports model is and I must say they seemed nice well equipped cars although I was disappointed with the high fuel consumption especially when you dont get a huge power delivery in return.

Anyway im currently saving for a new car in the region of 4k and im looking at something like an Audi TT however looking at certain faults etc with the TT and the fact im not really looking at spending alot for the particular car wont get me a fantastic example.
So I looked at the is200 after seeing a local one forsale I soon realised they dont hold their value, I thought I would look into them as I could get a great example is200 for 1500 with all the tricks and toys (if not more ) than the TT not mentioning the lexus would be a more reliable car out of the two in my opinion?

The one I saw was a 2001 silver SE with 95k fsh etc he wanted 1250 talking to the guy over the phone I soon realised he hadnt had alot of interest so I told him id be looking to spend 850 he said he would be happy with that.
Now obviously i haven't looked at the car yet so it maybe apparent why he was so keen to drop 400 however I think they car a car that is not going to sell particularly quick in today climate.

I did ideally want a pre 2001 due to that falling before the emission based taxed although the 2001 I looked at was only 25 more for 6months so not the end of the world. Also I wanted a sport is it only cosmetically different?

Im mainly looking for advise on common issues etc im aware the brake calipers seems to be the biggest and I have heard people say to make sure x3 keys are present.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi - I am a newbie as well - did you get any responses to your request?

Bit sad if you didn't - it would rather say to me that this is not a very active forum (I use a couple of forum for other makes and get pretty much immediate responses!)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Common issues would be the lca bushings, sticky dash on the 02+, seized calipers I believe other than that the cars are tanks. Mine had 185k miles and still running strong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS200 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page