Lexus IS Forum banner

Swap 2003 melting dash with 2001 plastic - which part #?

14K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Just Me 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 IS300 with a tan interior and I am planning on swapping out the entire dashboard and center console with that of a 2001 because it's melting, and the stuff that's melting is most likely toxic. I know it's a multitude of parts that need to be changed but getting the trim #'s right is going to be everything.

The problem is that there are multiple part numbers and trim ID's... is there anyone who can provide part numbers and ideally some example pictures? As far as I know there's an all-black version, and a grey/bronze version.

-55301-53040-C0 TYPE C:REFER TO ILLUSTRATION, IVORY, TRIM0* 1 $465.23
-55301-53040-C1 TYPE A:REFER TO ILLUSTRATION, BLACK, TRIM0*, 2* 1 $465.23
-55301-53091-C0 TYPE C:REFER TO ILLUSTRATION, BLACK, TRIM0* 1 $509.12
-55301-53091-C1 TYPE B:REFER TO ILLUSTRATION, BLACK, TRIM2* 1 $509.12

Here's the link to Sewell's parts page:
2001 IS300: OEM Body (INSTRUMENT PANEL) Replacement Parts

thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
I was just about to post this question. Have you ordered one?

I think 55301-53040-C1 is the 01 dash (says model 01-02) but I'm not sure.

I wonder if they've fixed the problem for the new replacement inventory? I'd like to buy a new 02+ dash for my IS but not if it's going to have the same melting finish.

#4 ·
I have not ordered, but I did get a quote and I will ask about it - and also ensure I have an "out" just in case it comes in rubberized.

I checked with the dealer and for the tan interior 40-C0 is the proper part number. If you look at the Sewell site, it is also the only part number that is exclusive to the 01, so that helps.

Will post when I receive the part! :)

#6 ·
Has anybody confirm the part numbers yet? I'm going to be placing a order for a new dash this week before Sewell closes their website next month and wanted to order a 2001 dash for my IS300.

From the diagrams I looked at these look like the part number for the black/gray 2001 dash, cluster garnish and center console

5881153020C1
CONSOLE BOX, BLACK/GRAY, TRIM0#, 2#

5530153040C1
INSTRUMENT PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY, TYPE A: SEE ILLUSTRATION, BL ACK, TRIM0#, 2#

5540453010B0
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY, GRAY, TRIM0#, 2#

These look like the part numbers for the black 02-05 dash, cluster garnish and center console

5881153020C2
CONSOLE BOX, BLACK/BLACK, TRIM0#

5530153091C1
INSTRUMENT PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY, TYPE B: SEE ILLUSTRATION, BL ACK, TRIM2#

5540453010C0
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FINISH PANEL SUB-ASSEMBLY, BLACK, TRIM0#

#9 ·
Has anyone actually ordered a 2001 dash and gotten one back without rubber on it? I am just a bit worried that Toyota's part system has substitute part numbers and are subbing in the 2002+ dash for the 2001. I'm trying to get verification from Lexus that indeed, these part numbers definitely have no rubber coating.

#11 ·
You could always order the part at your local dealer and if it's the wrong one you can return it ?.

#15 ·
Wanted to renew this thread. Looking to buy new dash from a dealer but wanted to hear from those of you that have bought the 2002+ dashboards in the last couple of years. Do they still have the rubber coating or do you have to order the 2001 in order to avoid that coating/melting dash?

Thanks!

#17 ·
our lexus dealer stated that there was a recall on these sticky dashes but they applied to all lexus models except the IS
ridiculous........

#18 · (Edited)
After reading this and similar threads, I decided to have my local dealer replace the sticky dash on my '05. I contacted Lexus corporate and they agreed to pay 50% of the parts cost for the dash only (they declined to cover any other parts like the trim, center console or air bag cover). They also declined to cover any of the labor costs. But, better than nothing.

I asked at the dealer (and corporate) if it was possible to use an '01 dash to avoid a repeat problem with the coating. I was told that they are no longer available. So, I let them order an 02-05. I saw the box and invoice -- it listed the part number as: 55301-53091-C1

During the installation, I got a phone call from the dealer. They part was warped and not usable. But, they had located another one. So, I should leave the car for a couple of more days while they track it down.

I picked up the car and the dash has no coating. It's just plain plastic.

I asked the dealer and they claim that it is the same part number. As I mentioned, I saw an empty box with the part number indicated above. But, based on the order date, I know that it is the box from the first (defective) part. So, I can't confirm the part number that they actually obtained for me.

But, it may be that Toyota/Lexus has decided to no longer include the coating. Has anyone had a similar experience?

The plain plastic doesn't look quite as nice as the new coated dash. But, I am happy that it won't deteriorate in the same manner. So, I'm satisfied.

By the way, I kept my old dash. Thought that it might be useful to strip the coating someday. But, now I probably don't need it.

Attachments

#24 ·
melting dash

hello - i've been dealing with this issue for some time now... came across this thread as i was re-googling about it. i tried to call the number listed in this thread but was told that there aren't any "open experience" programs for my vehicle at this time. i bought my car from an actual lexus dealer and financed it through lexus financial - didn't make any difference. any other info would be great. thank you.

#27 ·
I wish I knew about this before, but I ended up fixing it myself. Found out that Armour All Leather wipes was good at stripping the sticky off (who knew). Then removed the dash and spray painted with flat black paint. Turned out pretty well for the cost of a can of paint and a weekend of labor.

Attachments

#29 ·
Has anyone heard back from Lexus Guest Experience? I've emailed them several time with no response. I'm the original owner of a 2002 IS300 with the melting dash syndrome but i don't think they want to replace it and choose to ignore me.

Has anyone confirmed that the correct part number for the non-melting dash is 55301-53091-C1?

Thank you,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.