1Likes
  • 1 Post By rvalero

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Question on tinting headlights

I've been looking at Lamin-X headlight/taillight tints for the 02 Lexus is300 and can't seem to decide on choosing the color (Tint or Gunmetal Tint). Has anyone done this before and have pics of what it looks like on our cars? I want to tint them but not to the point where they are too dark.
Lexus IS 300 (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005) Headlight Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Guru

Quoted: 225 Post(s)

Garage
I tinted my headlights and fog lights years ago, and I would not recommend it. I have replaced them since having the work done. I don't remember which brand was used, but I definitely noticed a slight (but noticeable) decrease in light output. I don't see any harm in adding a slight tint to tail lights, but I wouldn't do that again to head or fog lights.

For pics and other info, go here: https://my.is/forums/f90/new-smokes-bra-373967/

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 AM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
I tinted my headlights and fog lights years ago, and I would not recommend it. I have replaced them since having the work done. I don't remember which brand was used, but I definitely noticed a slight (but noticeable) decrease in light output. I don't see any harm in adding a slight tint to tail lights, but I wouldn't do that again to head or fog lights.

For pics and other info, go here: https://my.is/forums/f90/new-smokes-bra-373967/
I was going to do this also. Do you remember which % it was for the headlights/fogs?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw my post in there that already asked you lmao

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS

Last edited by IS3_FTW; 03-10-2015 at 12:46 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3_FTW View Post
I was going to do this also. Do you remember which % it was for the headlights/fogs?
Unfortunately, I don't think I was ever told a %, but they told me that it was the lightest smoke available at the time. It was probably 35-50%. When looking at the pictures, also take into consideration that it was overcast that day. I think I remember that it actually rained after I left.

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:06 AM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think I was ever told a %, but they told me that it was the lightest smoke available at the time. It was probably 35-50%. When looking at the pictures, also take into consideration that it was overcast that day. I think I remember that it actually rained after I left.
Thats the look i was shooting for. 50% or higher would be what im looking for. Did it get darker, as it cured?

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Guru

Garage
I don't remember noticing anything, so if there was a change, it wasn't anything significant. Here are two pics, both on overcast days. The second pic was taken about 1 year after install.

TobiasSing likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page