User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I dont care its been asked before...headlight questions

I have already searched. I have read many posts. But sometimes I still need some hand holding, and would appreciate actual first hand experience information.

I am looking to swap out the USDM headlights from my '04 sportx because of fading, AND I like the amber stripe, which I think will look good when I install a JDM front bumper that doenst have the amber bumper light.

My first question: Has anyone who has converted to JDM headlights have issues with the light going towards oncoming traffic? Seems enough people here in the states convert, what do you do to correct this?

Second: I know JDM head lights came in different versions and there was even an HID option.

Based on these lights, what EXACTLY would I NEED and have to do to make these work? Which HID kit would be recommended?

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, HKS Carbon-Ti cat-back exhaust, Eibach Pro-kit springs, front & rear sways, Koni "yellow" shocks, Cusco cooling plate, front & rear strut and trunk bars, rear under brace, TOM's front under brace, rear brace bars, TRD no. 1 & 2 front control arm, rear subframe & differential bushings and rear lower control arms, SuperPro poly steering rack & rear traction rod bushings, OEM M98 LSD, TRD Sports 18" 5 spoke wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)

I have those head lights. Unfortunately, the JDM head lights do not bolt to the USA fenders properly, so I'd recommend changing those if you're doing the head lights and bumper.

The head lights have different wiring of course, with the signal being just one bulb instead of two. And as you say, the output is backwards. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to fix it. the output is shaped \_\__ so you can't even aim it lower or something. Those head lights aren't designed for HID either, so putting an HID kit in there will cause even more light scattering compared to stock HID reflectors. If you really are set on using those lights, I would just keep them halogen so that they aren't as blinding. But putting an HID kit in those kill look like a riced out civic with an HID kit at night to opposing traffic.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
I have those head lights. Unfortunately, the JDM head lights do not bolt to the USA fenders properly, so I'd recommend changing those if you're doing the head lights and bumper.

The head lights have different wiring of course, with the signal being just one bulb instead of two. And as you say, the output is backwards. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to fix it. the output is shaped \_\__ so you can't even aim it lower or something. Those head lights aren't designed for HID either, so putting an HID kit in there will cause even more light scattering compared to stock HID reflectors. If you really are set on using those lights, I would just keep them halogen so that they aren't as blinding. But putting an HID kit in those kill look like a riced out civic with an HID kit at night to opposing traffic.
How many people get by using them though? Seems like lots of people use them.
I am changing the bumper but not the fenders. Hope to make it work. Again, I know others have.
If you have the ones in the pictures, are they actually the darker chrome like the later model IS300's have, or is it a true chrome and just looks darker in the pics?

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, HKS Carbon-Ti cat-back exhaust, Eibach Pro-kit springs, front & rear sways, Koni "yellow" shocks, Cusco cooling plate, front & rear strut and trunk bars, rear under brace, TOM's front under brace, rear brace bars, TRD no. 1 & 2 front control arm, rear subframe & differential bushings and rear lower control arms, SuperPro poly steering rack & rear traction rod bushings, OEM M98 LSD, TRD Sports 18" 5 spoke wheels

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Garage
If you swap out to the jdm headlights that only have one turn signal youd have to add resistors to the extra unplugged blinker harnesses or itll flash fast as if its going out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208Tezza View Post
If you swap out to the jdm headlights that only have one turn signal youd have to add resistors to the extra unplugged blinker harnesses or itll flash fast as if its going out.
Ive read that. But I am going to go with the simpler solution others have done and just tuck away the extra blinker

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Mr. Roo

The chrome is just the normal OEM chrome you are used to. There is a black version of the lights, but not a dark chrome version like there is with the USA lights (that I know of)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Garage
Confused?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXElover View Post
Ive read that. But I am going to go with the simpler solution others have done and just tuck away the extra blinker
To clarify:
208Tezza is saying you will experience hyper-flash (Light out indication) without the load resistor being soldered/ wired in.
- Cops may just see this as another reason to pull you over depending upon where you live.

Perhaps there is something I missed, but I thought these simply wont fit into the US Version?
- Didn't Tobias say the whole pattern behind the front quarter panels are different?
- Maybe its my misread, but I fail to see how these would ever work without dremmeling off the mounting screws that locate under the quarter panels and only using the one location under the hood.

....I must be missing something.

<3 IS LUV <3
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh469 View Post
To clarify:
208Tezza is saying you will experience hyper-flash (Light out indication) without the load resistor being soldered/ wired in.
- Cops may just see this as another reason to pull you over depending upon where you live.

Perhaps there is something I missed, but I thought these simply wont fit into the US Version?
- Didn't Tobias say the whole pattern behind the front quarter panels are different?
- Maybe its my misread, but I fail to see how these would ever work without dremmeling off the mounting screws that locate under the quarter panels and only using the one location under the hood.

....I must be missing something.
Couple of answers. First, the lights SHOULD fit pretty good. Think about how many cars have swapped in any of the altezza headlights, particularly the black housing ones. Second, the USDM head light uses two blinker bulbs, and the altezza uses one. Yes, to fit the IS300 turn signal plug into the socket, some shaving has to be done. But to avoid the hyper blink, all you have to do is tape over the other turn signal and tuck it away and simply not use it. No hyper flash because both turn signal bulbs are actually blinking.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Mr. Roo

Tape on the bulb is a bad idea, because it will either burn the tape or the bulb.

And I've mounted the USA head lights to the JDM fenders, but it required lots of grinding and hammering. One mounting bolt had to come off completely from both the fenders and the head lights. But the USA head lights are bigger. So I'm not sure what needs to be done using the JDM head lights on the USA fenders. The best/easiest solution is so also replace the fenders with JDM while you're at it, especially if you already need to get a bumper painted. Might as well do it right. Plus, you get the extra signal light on the side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page