User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Different color dash trim?

I've noticed that in some pics (like this one of kanine21's car) that the dash trim is slightly brown, or even gold in color.

No matter what angle I see my dash in, no matter what light source, or anything else, I can't reproduce that effect. my dash is black as can be. Which leads me to believe that there are different dashes. What's the deal? Is that another unnoticed change between 2001 and 2002/03? I've seen multiple pics of black dashes like mine, and I've seen multiple pics of those goldish dashes.

2001 E-Shift, SBM/Ivory/Ecsaine
Altezza L-Edition Grill, BP Emblems
L-Tuned Springs, TRD Yellow Sways
SRT Intake w/ECU, HKS Hiper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:04 AM
Patriot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It can be one of two different possibilities. Either that person painted their dash or it is a different year dash than yours. Lexus did change the material after 2001. So all the proceeding years have a different texture.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Fiend

i believe 2001's got it and was discontinued for 02 and 03 models. under your signature, it states u have an 01, u sure u dont have an 02 or 03 model?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Extremist

I'm positive I have an '01. My dash is all black, none of that gold-ness to it. It's the same color as the vinyl dashboard (the area between that gold dash part and the front windscreen) and center console. All black.

Maybe it was an OPTION with 2001's? I didn't find any threads on it whatsoever, so it must not be something new with 2002/03's, considering most of the people here have newer cars.

It doesn't say in kanine21's signature or his photo album what year his car is. His photos look touched up though (neither IBP nor SBM are THAT blue, no matter what kind of light there is), so I'm thinking it's IBP Photoshopped (hue). IBP of course being 2002/03.

I added a poll (for no particular reason, a simple post could solve the mystery lol).

JDM_SXE, it's not a painted dash, because I've seen several pictures of different cars with the same effect. My first thought was that the pics were shot on extremely bright days, and some off refraction in the plastic part of the dash made it appear goldish, where the vinyl part of the dash didn't exhibit that trait. But I've seen too many for that to be the case.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Follower

I have a 2001 and as far as I know ALL '01's have the same dash.

Lexus decided to change the appearance on the '02's and up with a flatter black material. Not so plasticly looking to blend in better with the rest of the dash.

This is a pic of mine:

It's not really gold, but more silver-ish nickel looking.

'07 AWD FX35|DG|Graphite|Tech|Sport|Touring|Handsfree|SAT|
Crawford Plenum|LMS CAI|Stillen Heatshield|350z Engine Cover|
+2 Advanced Timing|Stillen Frt STB|Eibach Pro|H&R Spacers|
10000K HID|Hoen Fogs|15 LED|Xenon Interior Lighting|LED Turn Signal Mirrors|
Momo AT Shiftknob|350z Sport Brake/Clutch Pedal Cover|
Escutcheon|3M Clearbra|18% Front Tint|VIN Etched Glass|Aluminum Rails & X-Bars|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Loyalist

All of my friends with 01 ISs have that except me(I have 01 too). I have the flat black and I like it a lot better. I think the flat black came with the luxury package? With the piping along the leather of the seats? Im not sure really, just a gues...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Twisties Addict

ummmm well i have an 01 too, and i have never heard of any 01's having the flat black dashes as the newer models..........unless they are custom done! I think you guys are mistaken on what year cars yu have????
I have a question for you.......is the wire around the door speaker black or chrome??? :-?

2010-Rossion Q1
2003 CW IS300 5spd ---"Back in the game"
Lotus Exige S--Sold
04 Turbo IS3--475[email protected]450[email protected]----SOLD :(

StraIght LiNes DoN't MeAn Sh*T when you have lowering springs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchar
All of my friends with 01 ISs have that except me(I have 01 too). I have the flat black and I like it a lot better. I think the flat black came with the luxury package? With the piping along the leather of the seats? Im not sure really, just a gues...
Ahhh, that might be why. I like the "pewtery" look better than flat black, it's closer to the ivory color than black is. =)

I have another idea though. I do have a 2001, but in 2002, the first owner of my car wrecked it. It was declaired salvage, even though only the passenger side front door and the front right fender are the only parts of the car that were damaged. I think in that accident, the original dash was cracked or broken somehow, and since it was the year 2002, the replacment dash was a 2002 model.

char char, maybe your dash was damaged somewhere along the line too?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwillyBadassIS31
ummmm well i have an 01 too, and i have never heard of any 01's having the flat black dashes as the newer models..........unless they are custom done! I think you guys are mistaken on what year cars yu have????
I have a question for you.......is the wire around the door speaker black or chrome??? :-?
I havn't seen inside the door panels, but I have seen speaker wires under the driver's side console (below the steering wheel), and they are silver with a clear coating. They seem kind of jurry rigged though, I think the previous owners might have had an aftermarket deck and he decided to rewire the speakers. Not sure though.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Twisties Addict

no no no thats not what i am talking about..........im talking about on the exterior of the door panel the speaker cover, does it have a chrome ring around it????

also your idea about the car being wrecked is most likely the reason for the 02 dash you have!

2010-Rossion Q1
2003 CW IS300 5spd ---"Back in the game"
Lotus Exige S--Sold
04 Turbo IS3--475[email protected]450[email protected]----SOLD :(

StraIght LiNes DoN't MeAn Sh*T when you have lowering springs
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwillyBadassIS31
no no no thats not what i am talking about..........im talking about on the exterior of the door panel the speaker cover, does it have a chrome ring around it????

also your idea about the car being wrecked is most likely the reason for the 02 dash you have!
Oh that, I thought you asked about the speaker wire. No, it's ivory like the rest of the interior. Also, I have the '01 "figure-8" cup holder, and I don't have an autodimming rear view. It's an '01 for sure (Plus Carfax reports the JIN as a 2001).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page