Detailing tutorial - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Patriot
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
I don't use Windex, I like an Ammonia free window cleaner for cars and tint. Please tell me why I'm wrong

2003 GGP IS300 manual
1986 BMW 325e
2007 Harley Davidson Nightster
XL1200N (1200cc)
Nicademus323 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Patriot
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Ok I see you said the Windex is for the outside...fine, but I still don't use it. Ok though

2003 GGP IS300 manual
1986 BMW 325e
2007 Harley Davidson Nightster
XL1200N (1200cc)
Nicademus323 is offline  
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Patriot
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Also beware of buffers until you get good with them, otherwise you can do more harm than good. If you get an opportunity have a Meguiar’s Rep. show you how to use all there products. Can be interesting and helpful

2003 GGP IS300 manual
1986 BMW 325e
2007 Harley Davidson Nightster
XL1200N (1200cc)
Nicademus323 is offline  
 
post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Great tutorial! I love my Zaino
madden is offline  
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area/NorCal, CA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkey View Post
...When removing scratches, you will always start with the lowest intensity products first and work your way up. In this case, you are going to begin with Meguiar’s #2 Fine-cut Cleaner (first with a normal polishing pad, then with a foam cutting pad)...
Hey guys, wondering this step here, when you mention first the normal polishing pad, then w/ a foam cutting pad, do you mean I would apply the #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner with the polishing pad first, then apply the #2 again with the foam cutting pad? or am I getting it wrong? any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! aight peace
boostaddctn is offline  
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area/NorCal, CA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Does anyone know the answer to my question? thanks... aight peace
boostaddctn is offline  
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaddctn View Post
Hey guys, wondering this step here, when you mention first the normal polishing pad, then w/ a foam cutting pad, do you mean I would apply the #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner with the polishing pad first, then apply the #2 again with the foam cutting pad? or am I getting it wrong? any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! aight peace

Hey, I can field this one.

When using any CUTTING compound, you want to use a CUTTING pad. Use the foam cutting pads with cutting compounds because the cutting pad gives that safe-extra abrasiveness you want.

After those steps, you move on to the Polishing and Waxing stages- in which you then want a gentler pad - - i.e. a Polishing pad.

You're going to use a cutting pad with #2 finer cut cleaner, and if you need a little more abrasiveness for larger imperfections, step it up to #1 med. cut cleaner.

Thanks,
Mike




Oh, DrunkenMonkey - if you're ever down in New Orleans - hit me up. I definitely owe you a great meal at one of NOLA's world renowned restaurants.

The last 14 months at AAC really taught me a lot about paint work, and clearcoat. This little thread just made everything else that much more perfect.

Oh, and my customers LOVE IT! + rep ... hit me up if you're ever down here.
fiveohfour is offline  
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area/NorCal, CA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohfour View Post
Hey, I can field this one.

When using any CUTTING compound, you want to use a CUTTING pad. Use the foam cutting pads with cutting compounds because the cutting pad gives that safe-extra abrasiveness you want.

After those steps, you move on to the Polishing and Waxing stages- in which you then want a gentler pad - - i.e. a Polishing pad.

You're going to use a cutting pad with #2 finer cut cleaner, and if you need a little more abrasiveness for larger imperfections, step it up to #1 med. cut cleaner.

Thanks,
Mike




Oh, DrunkenMonkey - if you're ever down in New Orleans - hit me up. I definitely owe you a great meal at one of NOLA's world renowned restaurants.

The last 14 months at AAC really taught me a lot about paint work, and clearcoat. This little thread just made everything else that much more perfect.

Oh, and my customers LOVE IT! + rep ... hit me up if you're ever down here.
Aw man... I just ordered polishing pads and finish pads, because according to Meguiars, they recommended me to just stick to polishing pads for those 2 instead of a cutting pad... oh well... thanks anyways man! aight peace
boostaddctn is offline  
post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Loyalist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
i just detailed my car the other day, and i found this stuff that gets small scratches out of the clear coat. for 10 bucks, it made my car look a lot cleaner :]. its only 10 bucks too.
check it out Scratch Doctor Clear Coat Scratch Remover | Nu Finish | Walgreens

04 GGP 5 SPD w/ LSD
Stance|Swift|Figs|Hotchkis|Ichiba|5zigen|SRT|Dezod (shit company)
06 Tundra SR5 4.0 6 Spd
IS300 Parts For Sale
Drift Ready FC3S For Sale
01 Tacoma 5 Spd For Sale (Soon)
IG-slide4satan
dylyxcore is offline  
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Wow, nice tutorial... I know a handful of people on this site have show cars, but I'm sure there are people like me who don't own a buffing unit. Any advice to achieve similar results? I know Meguiar's has cleaner/polish/wax set (doesn't require a unit), input? I usually hand wash/wax every week, clay bar every few months, but nothing this serious. Anything in between what I'm doing right now and buying a unit, to achieve a little better results?

Any input from the OP or any other members is welcome.
Alexis2003 is offline  
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Class III Aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis2003 View Post
Wow, nice tutorial... I know a handful of people on this site have show cars, but I'm sure there are people like me who don't own a buffing unit. Any advice to achieve similar results? I know Meguiar's has cleaner/polish/wax set (doesn't require a unit), input? I usually hand wash/wax every week, clay bar every few months, but nothing this serious. Anything in between what I'm doing right now and buying a unit, to achieve a little better results?

Any input from the OP or any other members is welcome.
dont wax your car every week. wax it 2 times a year, after winter to remove all the salt etc and after summer to remove pollen etc. use a quick detailer after washes to give you the just waxed effect. when the quick detailer becomes blurry on the car then you will know its time for a good wax job.

Vice President and CTO of The A.S.S

“I’m sorry, but having a DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch.” - Jezza
drunkenmonkey is offline  
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
do u need to change to different pads when changing between cleaners and waxes etc? For example do i need a polishing pad specifically for the cleaner and then another one for the polisher or could i reuse the same one?

2003 MSM IS300
Turboeast S444 kit
Hotchkis F/R sways
Megan Racing EZ Street Coils
hungrylilb0i is offline  
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South FL
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Nice read. +rep

Nick|Anthony nawmsayin
'04 MSM | RIP
'07 Audi B7 | sold
'03 TCM |
Nick| is offline  
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Wow I love meguiar but I just saw meguiar products I didnt even know existed. They make everything lmfao.
GalletGun is offline  
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Under House Arrest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockville MD
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
What do you guys with the Sport Design IS300's with the white seats use to keep your leather white? I got the leather cleaner from Lexus and it didn't really do much.
mahleek87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detailing your IS thomasfl The Car Wash 55 07-21-2012 05:17 AM
Who does your detailing?? 02IS3Navi North-East 8 06-19-2006 06:21 PM
Detailing cheetah1023 North-East 4 03-31-2004 03:02 PM
Detailing yangyang11 General Discussion 1 02-17-2003 08:46 PM
detailing iluvspl General Discussion 0 05-10-2001 04:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome