User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Spring Rates

Looking at upgrading my coilovers, I currently have Tein Street Advanced Z's which have a 9k front and a 6k rear to something with a 16k front and a 11k rear. I've been told that the IS chassis handles the stiffer setup differently so much higher rates are recommended. I'm mostly going to be street driving the car but will be hopefully getting in some spirited driving and track days. So something stiff enough to handle both will be ideal, the current setup isnt cutting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Addict

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

your teins were (hopefully) valved for 9/6 i have feal 441 that came off the shelf with 14/8 rates. feal states that the spring rates can be changed +/- 2 so i went with 16/9 ive tracked the car 3 times since and am still dialing it down. upon talking to the feal rep, he recommends at the next rebuild to get it re valved to accommodate 18/12 rates. at any rate your shocks will be under damped with a straight swap to 16/11. you could keep it until they need a rebuild and re valve accordingly.

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
i got 14/10 and I won't go below that, If I had the money I'll be going with custom swifts with 16-18 front and 12 rear.

2002 IS300 - Manual 5-speed LSD M85
Color: Cromax YR580M
TRD Carbon Fiber Shifter Ball
Custom Made Complete Cold Air Intake
Fidanza Exhaust Cam Gear
OBX Headers / Megan Racing Y-Pipe / Thrush Catback
Yonaka Spec II Coilovers / Cusco Strut Bar
SPC Rear Camber Kit
DBC Performance Black XDS Rotors / Carbon Brake Pads
Continental ProContact Tires

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black86 View Post
your teins were (hopefully) valved for 9/6 i have feal 441 that came off the shelf with 14/8 rates. feal states that the spring rates can be changed +/- 2 so i went with 16/9 ive tracked the car 3 times since and am still dialing it down. upon talking to the feal rep, he recommends at the next rebuild to get it re valved to accommodate 18/12 rates. at any rate your shocks will be under damped with a straight swap to 16/11. you could keep it until they need a rebuild and re valve accordingly.
Yes, these are valves for the 9k-6k rates. I would just revalve these but unfortunately the Z series from Tein are sealed and arent able to be serviced.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

i am no suspension expert, but i believe a lot of what tein is using is old tech. you wouldn't want them rebuilt anyways. who even buys tein stuff new these days with all these other great options?

with that being said. im at 12/10 and i wouldnt go any softer. while my car is for looks, its still way too soft. i couldnt imagine running 12/10 on a track.

my BC BRs with the extreme low option allow spring rates +/- 4K from the original valving. Thats double the range of what most other coils give you. Id call them and see if you can get the BRs without the extreme low and still retain that +/- 4K. although, those are only rated for 'occasional track usage'.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
i am no suspension expert, but i believe a lot of what tein is using is old tech. you wouldn't want them rebuilt anyways. who even buys tein stuff new these days with all these other great options?

with that being said. im at 12/10 and i wouldnt go any softer. while my car is for looks, its still way too soft. i couldnt imagine running 12/10 on a track.

my BC BRs with the extreme low option allow spring rates +/- 4K from the original valving. Thats double the range of what most other coils give you. Id call them and see if you can get the BRs without the extreme low and still retain that +/- 4K. although, those are only rated for 'occasional track usage'.
true I wouldn't have gone tein then or now... but everyone has their reasons and if they're rebuild able, it might be a cheaper option. but since they aren't there are a ton of options, sadly at a price.

no, all BC's are only +/- 2kgmm, off the shelf and custom.

https://www.bcracing-na.com/faq/topi...tes/question/9

if it isn't show and you are planning to track I suggest the DS series if you go BC. the digressive valving makes it fast on sharp bumps (cushy on shitty roads) and slow on cornering (stiff when cornering at the limit) all feal 441's are digressive as well as fortune auto 510.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black86 View Post
Quote:

true I wouldn't have gone tein then or now... but everyone has their reasons and if they're rebuild able, it might be a cheaper option. but since they aren't there are a ton of options, sadly at a price.

no, all BC's are only +/- 2kgmm, off the shelf and custom.

https://www.bcracing-na.com/faq/topi...tes/question/9

if it isn't show and you are planning to track I suggest the DS series if you go BC. the digressive valving makes it fast on sharp bumps (cushy on shitty roads) and slow on cornering (stiff when cornering at the limit) all feal 441's are digressive as well as fortune auto 510.

Thank you this is all very good info, I do know someone that has Feal he is willing to sell me as well as help me pick out the springs I would be running. So I may be doing that with all of this info.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 AM
Aficionado

black,

i have an email stating that i can go +/- 4k, so this is news to me. Maybe the tech didnt do the math correctly when i wrote the email (kinda scary if true, lol).

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Addict

Quote:
black,

i have an email stating that i can go +/- 4k, so this is news to me. Maybe the tech didnt do the math correctly when i wrote the email (kinda scary if true, lol).
is it from bcracing-na.com? they are official. there are others out there but they are 3rd party venders with a bcracingxxx url and it can't confusing...

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Aficionado

yes.

msglength

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Look at what Fortune Auto offers. They just came out with their new gen 7 line and they offer a 5 year warranty. Everything is hand build to order and they offer all sorts of options and customized spring rates. I plan to get a set the next time they have a sale.

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page