Lets talk steering angle, knuckles, rack, etc. - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
Lets talk steering angle, knuckles, rack, etc.

Alright since there is random threads here and there talking about what steering angle kits members just installed, or what knuckles they just bought, I figured I would start a new thread with everybody dropping their current set up for a steering angle kit (everything included) or if theyre just running cut or aftermarket knuckles for a little more angle.

I know there a tons of angle kits out there for our chassis and I would love to see everybodys opinion on all of them out there and who has what!

Some of the ones I know of off the top of my head are;

Figs Engineering: If im not mistaken they make a few different kits with options of adding outer tie rods for more camber as well. Seems to be a little more expensive than some of the others out

Ez Knuckles: Same thing here with piecing together what parts of the kit you want.

Xcessive Manufacturing: This is a piece together kit as well.

Minty Fresh Moose Knuckle: These are extremely rare if Im not mistaken, and you must run the gs300 outer tie rods like most kits.

Animal Style Heat Makers Knuckle: These are pretty knew for our chassis but are for super low style cars and I guess you dont have to run longer outer tie rods with these


If you do have any of the above kits or knuckles let me know! Like I said would love to hear your opinion. And if you have something custom drop some details as well!
Looking forward to everybodys responses!

PS. I am still trying to figure out which kit I want to go with so Im hoping this thread will give me a better idea and which one to pull the trigger on.

Thanks everybody!

Last edited by Chiefkeith; 04-20-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Chiefkeith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 PM
Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
 
I got Kazama-Drift short knuckle last year, one side failed after two months (DD street legal not competition) they didn't express slightest responsibility to honor any warranty, verdict: stay away from them, I had to use Lexus GS outer tie rods.
now I bought Xcessive Manufacturing adapters (I feel comfortable dealing with steal rather than aluminium) will fit them this week once I pass the annual registration inspection.
I even swapped my steering rack from 2001 to 2004 to get quicker turns (3 vs 3.25) which didn't make tangible difference but little heavier steering! (could be pseudo effect!)
Chiefkeith likes this.
Arzon is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 713
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
           
the minty fresh knuckles are not rare by any means. they just do batch mfg, so they only are in stock when they make a batch.

figs has 2 options, the 'cheaper' option which is just the knuckle assembly in its entirety (couple different versions i believe). and then they have the pro angle kit, which is a complete kit for the front end. i believe they are the only ones making an out right 'aftermarket knuckle', everyone else just utilizes a spacer or just cuts/rewelds or mods a stock knuckle.

KFD also makes a spacer/kit. i dont remember exactly what it was, i havent looked in a while.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
mesooohoppy is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 713
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzon View Post
I got Kazama-Drift short knuckle last year, one side failed after two months (DD street legal not competition) they didn't express slightest responsibility to honor any warranty, verdict: stay away from them, I had to use Lexus GS outer tie rods.
now I bought Xcessive Manufacturing adapters (I feel comfortable dealing with steal rather than aluminium) will fit them this week once I pass the annual registration inspection.
I even swapped my steering rack from 2001 to 2004 to get quicker turns (3 vs 3.25) which didn't make tangible difference but little heavier steering! (could be pseudo effect!)
are those the spacer type dealios that are machined out of aluminum? i cant find their site. i remember seeing a company that was making the spacers, similar to the KFD spacers. although they were making them out of aluminum instead of steal. im not an an engineer by any means, but there's a reason why no one else makes spacers/knuckles out of aluminum.

if you are still within the time to file a claim with your bank credit card company, id do it.

i didnt realize different year IS300s had different rack ratios. do you have that info? would probably be best if the OP puts that info in the first post (or atleast posted in this thread somewhere).

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
mesooohoppy is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
           
Garage
I had figs pro angle. I reverted back to stock angle. Unless your willing to remove the front sway bar for max angle then the sway bar will limit the angle you can run using FIGS Pro Angle. Youll also need an after market triangle brace for the figs which only ones or 2 companies sell now. ive reverted back to stock steering to learn to drive faster and handle the drift at faster speed then rely on the angle to save my ass now. Unless your doing pro comps/tandems I dont think steering angle is needed.

Mike from figs is very helpful and worked with me on everything I did so im not trying to bash the company they are good quality parts from most of what I saw/had just simply didnt do what I thought it would do. My Car is still on stock power, but all suspension parts were bought to support the angle kit including 18/16k bc coilovers, wheels within spec, I removed the sway bar to see how that would feel. Honestly up to the driver to get a feel and see what they actually react to during drifts and what they like to react to during drift.
hwnpeeps is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
the minty fresh knuckles are not rare by any means. they just do batch mfg, so they only are in stock when they make a batch.
I guess what I meant by rare is they dont do batches very often... at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
figs has 2 options, the 'cheaper' option which is just the knuckle assembly in its entirety (couple different versions i believe). and then they have the pro angle kit, which is a complete kit for the front end. i believe they are the only ones making an out right 'aftermarket knuckle', everyone else just utilizes a spacer or just cuts/rewelds or mods a stock knuckle.
Yeeh the pro option is inane. Just like wisefab.
But Xcessive makes a zero ackerman knuckle and a standard one which both seem to an 'aftermarket knuckle'. I could be wrong though thats just what it looks like. As well as EZ knuckle. Theres have a built in roll center adjuster with how the knuckle is designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
KFD also makes a spacer/kit. i dont remember exactly what it was, i havent looked in a while.
Ill have to look into that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
i didnt realize different year IS300s had different rack ratios. do you have that info? would probably be best if the OP puts that info in the first post (or atleast posted in this thread somewhere).
I didnt realize that either until he just mentioned it. Its already mentioned by him so ill leave it there and add it in the title.😁
Chiefkeith is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwnpeeps View Post
I had figs pro angle. I reverted back to stock angle. Unless your willing to remove the front sway bar for max angle then the sway bar will limit the angle you can run using FIGS Pro Angle. Youll also need an after market triangle brace for the figs which only ones or 2 companies sell now. ive reverted back to stock steering to learn to drive faster and handle the drift at faster speed then rely on the angle to save my ass now. Unless your doing pro comps/tandems I dont think steering angle is needed.

Mike from figs is very helpful and worked with me on everything I did so im not trying to bash the company they are good quality parts from most of what I saw/had just simply didnt do what I thought it would do. My Car is still on stock power, but all suspension parts were bought to support the angle kit including 18/16k bc coilovers, wheels within spec, I removed the sway bar to see how that would feel. Honestly up to the driver to get a feel and see what they actually react to during drifts and what they like to react to during drift.
Good to know about the sway bar. Also those are some stuff coils. I need those... haha. But you needed a little more power than stock to take full advantage of the pro angle huh?
Chiefkeith is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
are those the spacer type dealios that are machined out of aluminum? i cant find their site. i remember seeing a company that was making the spacers, similar to the KFD spacers. although they were making them out of aluminum instead of steal. im not an an engineer by any means, but there's a reason why no one else makes spacers/knuckles out of aluminum.

if you are still within the time to file a claim with your bank credit card company, id do it.

i didnt realize different year IS300s had different rack ratios. do you have that info? would probably be best if the OP puts that info in the first post (or atleast posted in this thread somewhere).
I bought them through RHDJapan.com but they are no longer listed! I had to go through a long process of emails and complaints even I shipped them back for them to see whats wrong as an opportunity for an R&D! NADA!
here is another link
https://japwestmods.co.uk/shop/engin...-jzx110-sxe10/
xcessive manufacturing kit is with Ackerman angle non-shifted (zero camber) steel so it's thickness is less than aluminium (less RCA) and I can use OEM BJ whenever needed which is a plus!
yes, the 2001 steering rack has more ratio (this info is buried some where in the forum) but does it mean that the total movement distance is equal? I don't know.
some people use inner tie rod spacer to gain more angle but will not make it quick steering.
I liked it just because it feels like a go-kart maneuvering tight corners, but demands attention on highway driving, no drift no competition!
Chiefkeith likes this.

Last edited by Arzon; 04-20-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Arzon is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Follower
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Niagara
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
           
I've been using Xcessive's "standard" knuckles for over two years. The standard kit actually does offer approximately a lot more angle - see their website for more info, plus the effect of a RCA being 1/2" or 12mm thick (plus the fact that you aren't using the stock drop tie rod attachment).

I don't drift that often but it helped immensely for holding angle. I love how much faster the steering is now, it's only two turns lock to lock. It does create heavier steering effort since they do remove some ackerman compared to stock steering arms.

For what I wanted they were perfect, since I drive my car on the street as well (only in the summer).

IMO, run some diff mounts/coilovers/steering arms and you have a solid car for drifting as well as driving on the street.
Arzon likes this.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
Piggity is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
I've been using Xcessive's "standard" knuckles for over two years. The standard kit actually does offer approximately a lot more angle - see their website for more info, plus the effect of a RCA being 1/2" or 12mm thick (plus the fact that you aren't using the stock drop tie rod attachment).

I don't drift that often but it helped immensely for holding angle. I love how much faster the steering is now, it's only two turns lock to lock. It does create heavier steering effort since they do remove some ackerman compared to stock steering arms.

For what I wanted they were perfect, since I drive my car on the street as well (only in the summer).

IMO, run some diff mounts/coilovers/steering arms and you have a solid car for drifting as well as driving on the street.
This is awesome to hear! I was leaning more towards the Xcessive kit anyways. Mostly because theyre steel over aluminum and Xcessive's shop is 20 minutes from me.
But I am confusing when your talking about RCA's. Are you referring to how the knuckle is designed or the fact that it comes with lower ball joints too?
I guess Im confusing I never saw their kit mentioning anything about roll center adjusters. I get they come with gs300 outer tie rods which are a little longer, just not the RCA part.
Chiefkeith is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Follower
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Niagara
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
           
The "RCA effect" is because it fits between the stock steering knuckle and the spindle, so it effectively is a 1/2" or 12mm RCA. Plus, the fact that you're cutting off the stock tie rod attachment of the stock steering knuckle and it's all on one plane then you get even more than 12mm of RCA effect with your tie rod attachment. See what I mean in the pictures on their site (compare the 3rd pic with a picture of a IS300 spindle in Google Images).

I probably can't explain for shit but you get my point.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
Piggity is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
 
I bought a set of these knuckles from LexiBreak but haven't installed them yet. They took awhile to come, but they look AMAZING and they are THICK! I don't think they're going to break. Supposedly they can use all of the stock pieces and just require the LBJ to be cut like all other knuckles do.

Quick Steer Extra Lock Kit


2004 IS300 8N6 automatic - F&F Coilovers, Eibach sway bars, DIY Intake hardpipe, FR-S LSD swap, buddy club driver seat, Aftermarket HID's and LED Tail lights, Trunk strut mod
.....Soon to be NA-T with CX Racing hard parts, Garrett 60-1 turbo, Tial 50mm BOV, Tial MVR wastegate and FIC 6 piggyback
VegasIS3 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
The "RCA effect" is because it fits between the stock steering knuckle and the spindle, so it effectively is a 1/2" or 12mm RCA. Plus, the fact that you're cutting off the stock tie rod attachment of the stock steering knuckle and it's all on one plane then you get even more than 12mm of RCA effect with your tie rod attachment. See what I mean in the pictures on their site (compare the 3rd pic with a picture of a IS300 spindle in Google Images).

I probably can't explain for shit but you get my point.
Nah you made sense. I understand. You should post some pictures of the set up and how much angle it gets you. That would be awesome!
Chiefkeith is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasIS3 View Post
I bought a set of these knuckles from LexiBreak but haven't installed them yet. They took awhile to come, but they look AMAZING and they are THICK! I don't think they're going to break. Supposedly they can use all of the stock pieces and just require the LBJ to be cut like all other knuckles do.

Quick Steer Extra Lock Kit
Those look nice! Post a picture once you get them on!
Chiefkeith is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 AM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 713
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasIS3 View Post
I bought a set of these knuckles from LexiBreak but haven't installed them yet. They took awhile to come, but they look AMAZING and they are THICK! I don't think they're going to break. Supposedly they can use all of the stock pieces and just require the LBJ to be cut like all other knuckles do.

Quick Steer Extra Lock Kit
these are the aluminum ones i was asking about in post #4 . i dont know how i feel about something like this being designed out of aluminum but please report back once youve gotten some time on them.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
mesooohoppy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lexibreak extra lock steering angle kit? VegasIS3 General Discussion 15 11-14-2018 12:21 PM
Steering angle sensor reset? SP2Pilot General Discussion 3 10-17-2018 08:46 AM
Steering Rack Bushes/Grommet HELP! IS200/ALTEZZA dont know what ones to buy? Boogatee Basic Help & Repair 4 10-23-2017 08:41 PM
Figs new steering knuckles IS-2JZ Stop, Drop and Roll 15 07-24-2017 10:04 PM
Steering rack replaced...steering rubbing noise now VegasIS3 General Discussion 0 07-24-2017 06:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome