• 1 Post By TobiasSing
  • 1 Post By pearlfox

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

front fender rub

alright, so i searched for "front fender rub" and pretty much everything that came up was focused on the rubbing that occurs between the front tire and the inner fender liner, but that's not what i'm referring to here. i'm talking about the front tire rubbing against the metal lip of the fender, the part that you "roll" when you roll your fenders.

here's what my ride looks like on a flat surface at full wheel lock, notice how the tire is pressing lightly against the fender lip:

now that it's a little more clear about what i'm referring to, here are some details:
i'm on coils. i rolled all 4 fenders as much as possible without pulling them. my wheels have tucked fitment so rubbing is not an issue when going straight. rubbing only occurs when i turn at sharp angles. at this point, some of the paint on the inside of the fender lip has been rubbing off (in areas that you can't see unless your head is inside the wheel well). i like how my car looks when it is low but i'm concerned about the possible rust issues that may occur when the paint gets completely rubbed off and the bare metal becomes exposed.

i feel like there are many many people who are much lower than i am. how do they turn? are they rubbing paint off of their fenders like i am? will i be causing long term damage to my fenders if the bare metal becomes exposed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:22 AM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

It is because of several things. Wheel, offset, tires size, and height of car. That being said. It rubs only when straight because when turned all the way the transition of the suspension and wheel come into play.

You can raise it a little. Or pull the fenders out some. (flare)
pearlfox likes this.

Careful & Consistent
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlfox View Post
at this point, some of the paint on the inside of the fender lip has been rubbing off (in areas that you can't see unless your head is inside the wheel well).
i feel like there are many many people who are much lower than i am. how do they turn? are they rubbing paint off of their fenders like i am? will i be causing long term damage to my fenders if the bare metal becomes exposed?
Well, if you're rubbing off the paint, you'll rub off any rust that might occur there when you turn. Like how brake rotors work. But yeah basically, you lose your paint lol. And yes it is long term damage. Is it a problem? Maybe. My back arches have not had paint on them inside for over 5 years, and they have rusted, but the rust doesn't spread or do anything. It's just there, and everything is fine. Ultimately, the car won't last forever anyway. Would I do it again? That's a good question.... Of course, you could just pull them more so it never rubs, or repaint when any paint comes off, or just not care like me lol.
pearlfox likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i guess having some rub is just part of the "slammed" culture. i'll most likely raise my car a tiny bit now. thanks for the wisdom SolarYellow and TobiasSing
TobiasSing likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I just rip the fender liner out. If you dont drive alot on dirty roads or roads with lots of debris, you should be fine.

After 13 years, I finally got my IS300... and an ISF in the same week. Lexus Fam!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page