Lexus IS Forum banner

Fortune Auto or BC coilovers?

10K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  DH_71631 
#1 ·
I am pretty conflicted on which to get, I've heard great things about both of them and they are about the same price (with swift spring upgrade). Probably gonna go with rates of 12k front 10k rear, as that seems to be a happy medium that most people go with. Please share your experience! (good and bad)

Here's my priority list:
1. Reliability
2. Performance
3. Daily drivability
4. Price (between the two)

#2 ·
i have also heard good things about both. though, i only have experience with bc racing. i've had them on for about 2 months now.

i went with bc racing extreme low 14k front 12k rear with swift spring upgrade. front is 2 clicks from the hardest setting. rear is 6 clicks from the hardest setting. my ride feels firmer than stock, but still comfortable. i guess that's kind of subjective. daily drivability really depends on how low you decide to go. on the highest ride height setting (extreme low version), i could get in/out of most drive ways easily and speed bumps weren't a problem for me (this may be different for you depending on where you live i guess). i have since gone lower, and now find myself avoiding speed bumps anywhere possible lol. but this is to be expected from any set of coilovers if you go low enough. overall, i'm happy with my coilovers.

good luck. let us know what you decide :)

#4 ·
From everything I've read online between the two, it seems like FA is the better choice. I never really paid too much attention to BC's website, but it's kinda strange how they currently have a list of "8 reasons why you should choose us", but not one of them even specifically mentions the coil overs. It seems that all FA does, is coilovers. So I'd imagine they're more than proficient in making an extremely solid product.

When looking at your priority list. I would hand 1-3 to FA, with 4 going to BC by a slight margin. I guess you get what you pay for. (If you look at FA's warranty, certain parts are warranted for up to 5 years, while most are 1 year. Something to consider)

Also, from what i've heard, the swift springs are more track oriented, so you may be able to save a buck as long as you choose the right spring rates.

#6 ·
I'm a fan of FA as of late but I have a set of BC coils on my 300zx with no complaints. I've had them for 5 years and they have done fine but they only have like 6k miles so they are still pretty much new. I like FA because they are constantly updating their coils. They are on gen 7 right now and getting better as time passes. I will be getting them for my IS when the time comes but if you want to save a few hundred bucks you cant go wrong with BC's.

#7 ·
I dont think you can go wrong with either.

I have your exact set-up on my IS and I love it.
- In hindsight, I may have done a slightly higher spring rate but other than that; I am FA hands down.

My main reason for FA was service and rebuildable.

#9 ·
At the moment I'm leaning towards FA, little more expensive but probably worth it. Would I buy directly off their website or go with a third party to save a few bucks? I usually do whatever is cheapest but I would like to avoid getting an order messed up if that's something that happens.

I really do appreciate all the help, I got my IS about 6 months ago and am proud to be a part of this really quite helpful community!

#11 ·
Ya, give them a call. They apparently hand build each set according to your specification and use case. They factor in a number of factors for your spring selection, vehicle weight, suspension modifications, proposed use cases, if you have any custom aero.

They also have an online form you can fill out if you wanted to do that instead.

https://fortune-auto.com/springselector-htm/

i would call them and talk about your setup. Everything is built to order so they can set them up for what you would like. Im waiting for black friday to see if they got any scratch n dent or sales.
I really thought about that too, the deals are serious. If you can find them of course. Issue is I don't think you have a choice in spring rates. So I think they just send a generic set of coils.

#14 ·
Driver Motorsports? One look at their website and you'd be hard-pressed to see anything related to coil overs. It looks like they just handle imported JDM cars. "offset the install costs"? Installing coil overs is one of the most basic modifications car enthusiasts should be able to perform. Their "products" consist of apparel merch and a sticker. Please amuse me with their budget coils that would be worth over what we've discussed in this thread.

#15 ·
As they say, time is money. I installed the 500 series on my 2002, but for this 2005 I'm going have them installed before I pick up the car. During the process of purchasing, I found out they are Fortune Auto resellers and know the people as both companies are from VA.

You're welcome to pay retail pricing and install them however you like though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.