Lexus IS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

D2 Racing RS Coilover Review:

31K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Alexus_300 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently, I was offered an opportunity of sponsorship by D2 racing to test out their RS line of coilover and couldn’t resist the offer. Since this is my first time around with coilovers, I wasn’t so sure what to expect out of them besides the height adjustment and dampening ability from others who have had coilover before me. I will try my best to give a full evaluation of my experiences with these coilover.

Install: Installation took around 5 hours because the bolts on my suspension were really seized up from all the rust buildup that had accumulated over the years. On top of the coilover installation, new stainless steel brake lines were installed as well with a full brake fluid flush. ****Note that the installation could’ve taken less time but due to many beer breaks and some time chatting with other people that had walked by to share their stories with us.****

Spring Rate: It was very hard in the beginning for me to choose which spring rates to go with since I didn’t really know what to get. But thanks to a few member of this board and after a few PM was sent out to different suspension guru on this board, my decision was narrowed down to installing 13kg springs for the front and 9kg springs for the rear.

Height Adjustment: From the factory, I believe these coilovers can be adjusted from 1” -2.25” fronts and 1” - 2.5” rear. Since we did not have a tape measure around to measure the height of the lowered car after installation, a new invention tool called the “Das Meter” was fabricated by Das Garage to measure the perfect drop to my liking.

Rebound: Due to this coilover being priced fairly, rebound is set from the factory and cannot be changed by the owner to his/her liking. But from consulting with a few colleagues of mine on this specific coilover, we have found that the rebound is set fairly soft.

Dampening: This coilover is marketed to be 36 ways adjustable. I must say that this does offer a lot of adjustability, but in my opinion, the average user will not use all of this adjustability. For my personal liking, I’ve set the dampening to 6 clicks from the stiffest setting for the front and 9 clicks from the stiffest setting for the rear.

Ride Quality: The quality of the ride on this coilover after the springs have settle and proper alignment has been made is nothing but incredible. After the initial installation, we had set the fronts and rear to full stiffness and I must say that these coilovers are really really stiff on those settings. On the highways, the ride is fairly flat and soft with the occasional bump when you hit large holes or debris on the road. But besides that, the ride is firm and not bouncy at all.

Handling: The handling these coilovers provide is probably the best bang for the buck that you can buy for a coilover at this price. I have L-tuned sways installed on my car and is set to the soft setting on the front and medium setting on the rear and I must say that all the corners I’ve taken after installing these coilovers have been very flat and steering is fairly neutral.

I would like to take this moment to thank D2 racing for providing me with a great set of coilovers to test out. Next, I would like to thank Dasgalloway and Mrs. Galloway :hug: for allowing me to use the “Das Garage” to install these coilovers. I would also like to thank Somguy2U for helping me install these coilovers and brake lines. I owe all of you guys plenty of beer the next time I see you all. :p I know that Taco Cabana was just a little snack after a long night of work, but a full dinner for you guys is on the agenda the next time I’m in town. :) Lastly, without the help from DerekB, IS_dude, Yogi_TRD and Edgy, I would be lost on the selection of spring rates for my coilover.

Without further ado, I would like to present you with some pictures of before and after the installation of coilovers on my IS300.

Before:

After:

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice write up. I am interested in those coils, how much do they go for?

Sweet ultra neg camber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.