Coilovers help - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey there...

I'm sure this has been discussed abundantly but I can't seem to find anything for my issue specifically...

I need help with my coilovers. I just put a set on my 01 is300 with 12kg front and 10kg rears. With 24 adj dampers.

They are adjusted to the max dampening and the car feels looser than the stock set up.

I had the rear tubes adjusted all the way down, bottoming out and it was still too high for my liking. So I adjusted the spring perches to give me more drop. But I know I messed with the spring tension. And the rear feels bouncy and boaty.

I want to adjust them correctly, but when I adjust the spring tension back to where it's supposed to be, it raises the car back up.

I dont want the car extreme, just a couple inches lower than stock. The rears are all the way down. The fronts can go more, but the car in general feels more boaty than stock even with the dampers set to max.

So far, I'm really disappointed in this. I thought it'd be a much better/ stiffer ride.

Do you have any ideas what I could do to set these up differently? What am I doing wrong?

Thank.you for your help!

Last edited by Warrior4777; 04-23-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 147 Post(s)

Suspension isn’t my forte, but maybe I can help.

What brand of coilovers are they?

If you messed with the spring perch, then you changed the preload. Which isn’t a bad thing, necessarily. I increased preload on my teins because I felt the ride sucked until I did this.

I think if you have them max damped, then it will feel “floaty”, right? Have you tried turning them full stiff? Be aware that it will turn infinitely one direction, so make sure you read the manual for adjustments. Like you’d set it full soft (til it stops turning), then count the clicks to full stiff and do t go beyond the setting (24 clicks, in your case). But I may have that backward so double check.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 AM
Follower

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

FYI, on BC Racing coilovers the preload is supposed to be set at 5mm. I don't know what brand yours are but you might need to take each one off the car and make sure the preload is set correctly....or maybe just take off the bottom bolt and turn it till it's loose and correct it that way idk.

Do you not have a user manual with the coilovers?? I know on mine the way to stiffen the shocks is by turning them clockwise.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior4777 View Post
Hey there...

I'm sure this has been discussed abundantly but I can't seem to find anything for my issue specifically...

I need help with my coilovers. I just put a set on my 01 is300 with 12kg front and 10kg rears. With 24 adj dampers.

They are adjusted to the max dampening and the car feels looser than the stock set up.

I had the rear tubes adjusted all the way down, bottoming out and it was still too high for my liking. So I adjusted the spring perches to give me more drop. But I know I messed with the spring tension. And the rear feels bouncy and boaty.

I want to adjust them correctly, but when I adjust the spring tension back to where it's supposed to be, it raises the car back up.

I dont want the car extreme, just a couple inches lower than stock. The rears are all the way down. The fronts can go more, but the car in general feels more boaty than stock even with the dampers set to max.

So far, I'm really disappointed in this. I thought it'd be a much better/ stiffer ride.

Do you have any ideas what I could do to set these up differently? What am I doing wrong?

Thank.you for your help!
Find the preload for your brand. Then adjust the damping. But other than that. Bottomed out shocks do not travel right and will make it bounce.

Careful & Consistent
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thank you all for your time, insight and help. The dampeners are turned all the way clockwise, which in the manual, it says that's the stiffest. And it also says 5mm for the preload. I just dont get it that the fronts have a lot of height adjustment but the rears are all the way bottomed out and it only lowered the car about an inch and a half 2 inches max.

So, I was just wondering if I'm missing something by the lack of adjustment of the rears and the softness of the ride, even though the dampeners and springs are rated stiffer than stock. And the claim to have around 3-4 inches but only seem to have half that in the rear.

Agai, I appreciate all your input!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Quote:
Thank you all for your time, insight and help. The dampeners are turned all the way clockwise, which in the manual, it says that's the stiffest. And it also says 5mm for the preload. I just dont get it that the fronts have a lot of height adjustment but the rears are all the way bottomed out and it only lowered the car about an inch and a half 2 inches max.

So, I was just wondering if I'm missing something by the lack of adjustment of the rears and the softness of the ride, even though the dampeners and springs are rated stiffer than stock. And the claim to have around 3-4 inches but only seem to have half that in the rear.

Contact the vender and verify the parts and how much it should adjust.

Careful & Consistent
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Follower

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Quote:

What brand are they?

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My 02' came with Truharts C.O. and I thought they sucked. Bottomed out all the time, speed bumps were murder, etc. I never had the tech specs or measurements, I just measured the length of the set up. But the IS is a naturally low car so you'll lose performance to go lowest possible. And my springs seemed too small comparatively.
Just sayin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Also, the stock rears have a bolt that connects to the wheel well that after markets may not. I put stocks back on rear and bolted them.to car and that improved the sloppy boaty feeling ALOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page