User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's Wrong???

My car is 01 automatic.When the gear changes from 2nd to third there is a huge hesitation. It feels like it's not gonna change and than it lunges forward into gear. This only happens at WOT, like if I am from a total stop. When driving normal it is fine. Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Loyalist

i get that too...i remember reading somewhere that it was a factory defect and that they need to reflash the ecu or something....but if anyone knows different, let me know as well :S

01 MSM E-Shift
Carson-tuned front & Rear bumper || Custom Altezza grille || RMM side skirts || UGO roof spoiler || TRD wing || K&N FIPK II || Titan Cam Gear || SAFC II || TBKO Headers || HKS Drager II || Stage 1 Valve body || B&M Tranny cooler || Rotora rotors || WORK Emotion CR-Kai || Tanabe sustec sways || SRT member braces || ARK Coilovers || Gloss black vinyl roof ||......
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99IS300
My car is 01 automatic.When the gear changes from 2nd to third there is a huge hesitation. It feels like it's not gonna change and than it lunges forward into gear. This only happens at WOT, like if I am from a total stop. When driving normal it is fine. Any suggestions???
Does the car bounce off the rev limiter? If I do WOT, the car will hit the rev limiter, come back down to 5k rpm's and then work its way back up before changing to 3rd.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Deity

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2001s had a thing where the trac ecu was too aggressive and certain vin #'d is300s had to be reflashed.

another thing to check is, do you have pwr mode on and trac off when you're driving like this? if not, try it.

also, reset your ecu and then take the car on a very spirited drive so it will "relearn"
(while you're at it, clean the maf and change your air filter and oil if you're due, and tranny fluid if you're due as well.)

Moderator Old School.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

I know I need to get a new filter for my SRT intake and I guess I will re-clean my MAF again. I cleaned my MAF sensor this past March.
To the guy who asked about if it bounces off of the rev limiter, mine does not. But it does approaches 4.5 k- 5 k, if I remember right, before it switches gears.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Fiend

i have an 01 e-shift and shifts weird too sometimes, one day it will be nice and smooth and others it will stick between 2nd and 3rd and make that lunge you were talking about. If i go to the dealer and ask them to put the upgrades in the ecu will that be free?

Side question about shifting... does any of your cars if their auto love to be in 5th gear and try to get there as fast as possible... its so annoying as to get any torque i have to always slap the stick to M and downshift... it seems it just coasts into 5th gear even when only going 50KMH...

01 e-shift LSD / StopTech SS Lines / TRD Sways / JoeZ w/Blitz / AAC HL/FL Black Chrome Demon Eyes / Alpine type-R / TRD Grille /
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Deity

The ecu reflash was covered under warranty/tsb. Do a search for more info, TSBs have a longer coverage time than regular warranty iirc. Although some have reported being denied for being "out" of warranty, some have gotten them for free as a goodwill gesture, and others have just gone to another dealer and got the tsb done with no hassle. Your car, if purchased used and you are unsure if it was ever reflashed, could have already been taken care of and it's just a matter of maintenance and the ecu learning granny driving habits.

Moderator Old School.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Fiend

granny driving...?! my granny actually got a speeding ticket last year, she was horribly upset, she almost traded in her lead foot... anyways bad jokes and cheap shots aside, i've attempted to search for the past hour since you posted and its down, so whats TSB? i reset the ecu after i installed my JoeZ but its been so hot this summer, the other day my temp display said 99 i dont know if it goes higher but i dont want to rip it in this heat so its probably learning slow drving and max AC... i'll reset when it cools down

01 e-shift LSD / StopTech SS Lines / TRD Sways / JoeZ w/Blitz / AAC HL/FL Black Chrome Demon Eyes / Alpine type-R / TRD Grille /
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Deity

TSB is technical service bulletin, not the same as a recall but similar.

search was timing out for me too, after about 5 tries, waiting in between tries, i got it;

https://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...t=Trac+Reflash

https://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...ht=ECU+Reflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by acumenhokie
Here's the details from the TSB. Print this out, take it to the dealership and they'll fix you right up.

From the TSB's...

ECU Reprogramming:

Covered under Technical Service Information Bulletin:
TSIB EG003-01

In the first batch of 2001 IS300's there existed a problem with the ECU / TRAC systems that created some very strange problems for the car. This is actually 2 separate issues; however they are more often than not referred to as a single issue.

The ECU reprogram update affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10025186

the problem existing with the ECU was a slight delay during shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears as well as a downshift from 5th to 2nd. Drivers were experiencing jerky and lagged shifting patterns which made for a very uncomfortable driving experience. Drivers have reported smoother shifting since having this reprogrammed.

If your VIN qualifies you for this upgrade, please contact your local Lexus Dealership to schedule an upgrade. Please also be aware that due to a nationwide shortage of these chips that there is often a waiting list to have this done, so be patient.

It is also necessary to have all keys/spare keys present at time of reprogramming so that the keys may also be reprogrammed.

TRAC Reprogramming:

Covered under Technical Service Information Bulletin:
TSIB EG003-01

In the first batch of 2001 IS300's there existed a problem with the ECU / TRAC systems that created some very strange problems for the car. This is actually 2 separate issues; however they are more often than not referred to as a single issue.

The TRAC ECU replacement affects all IS300s whose VIN number is LOWER/BEFORE 10029014

The problem existing with the TRAC was an overly sensitive sensor that would cause the TRAC to be enabled earlier than necessary and at the slightest of wheel spin, even on dry pavement. This caused a power lag during sharp cornering and sometimes on acceleration. The TRAC update requires a new TRAC unit for the computer and this modifies the sensitivity of the TRAC unit and its threshold determination of wheel spin. Drivers reported far less instances where TRAC was invoked after having this replaced.

If your VIN qualifies you for this upgrade, please contact your local Lexus Dealership to schedule an upgrade. Please also be aware that due to a nationwide shortage of these chips that there is often a waiting list to have this done, so be patient.

It is also necessary to have all keys/spare keys present at time of reprogramming so that the keys may also be reprogrammed.
from here;
https://my.is/forums/showpost.php?p=3043075&postcount=9

Moderator Old School.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Fiend

Thanks a lot man, thats exactly what i needed... along with patience with the search but thats another story...

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Thanks for the threads. Do they actually have to remove the ECU cover to do the flash?? I only ask because I'm not sure if they will give me the hassle about having my R-ecu and my O2 simulator wired in. My car has over 95K miles, will I get charged anything??
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

^^ Bro, did you ever get my PM with the info?

2003 BO IS300
Tanabe/Xerd/Megan/Cusco/Eibach/Audiovox/Seibon/35-20% tints/
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99IS300
Thanks for the threads. Do they actually have to remove the ECU cover to do the flash?? I only ask because I'm not sure if they will give me the hassle about having my R-ecu and my O2 simulator wired in. My car has over 95K miles, will I get charged anything??
Read the links, it says its covered 8 years or 80K miles, and for sure the dealership would blame it instantly on your r-ecu...

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

I figured that they might. Do you suggest I remove everything to go factory or will they do it anyways??

IcyIS, DonCorleone posted the threads up in post 9. He didn't pm them to me.

Last edited by 99IS300; 07-18-2006 at 09:18 AM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Fiend

Lexus dealerships are arrogant cheap asses, so considering you have 15K miles more than allowed for coverage, they will charge you for it... I talked to the guy yesterday and he said only certain VINs needed it and if your car was bought used it might already be done... best thing for you to do is phone your dealer, have them run your VIN and they can tell you if any campaigns have been done on your car...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page