H Pattern Gear Selector on an Automat - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

H Pattern Gear Selector on an Automat

I have this concept that i want to try but i don't know how i would accomplish it or even if it is possible. Ive tried to research on it and i couldn't really find anything like it. Basically what i was thinking is the IS300 auto transmission already has a 1st 2nd, and 3rd gear selection option. My idea is to take those and put them in an H shifter pattern and somehow add a 4th and 5th gear selection option with the reverse as well and maybe a switch or something for park. Would this be possible at all through programing and electrical work or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:42 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

I'm unfamiliar with the automatic in these cars, but because they have the up/down shift buttons on the steering wheel, I would assume the actual shift lever is nothing more than a multi-position switch - and NOT a physical linkage to the valve body.

If so, you could reverse engineer what signals the original gear lever is putting out in its various positions, fabricate or modify an existing H pattern shifter gate, and outfit it with microswitches in each gate. Then you could program a microcontroller to send the appropriate gear-position signals to the ecu.

Sounds like a lot of work...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the automatic in these cars, but because they have the up/down shift buttons on the steering wheel, I would assume the actual shift lever is nothing more than a multi-position switch - and NOT a physical linkage to the valve body.

If so, you could reverse engineer what signals the original gear lever is putting out in its various positions, fabricate or modify an existing H pattern shifter gate, and outfit it with microswitches in each gate. Then you could program a microcontroller to send the appropriate gear-position signals to the ecu.

I would be able to add a 4th and 5th gear selection as well? It sounds like the ECU is responsible for changing gears.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:43 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post

Unfortunately it does have a physical cable link to the trans, but i am pretty sure this is mostly to shift it between P-R-N-D. It may also trigger the 1-2-3-M shift, not 100% sure. If you read through the posts on here some have mucked up the lever setting when modding their solenoids and cant get it to shift into D or R.

You may be able to link an H into the e-shift to try and simulate it, but you wont get first and the shifts will still feel sluggish like an auto, and if you leave the shifter in a high gear it will probably automatically shift into a lower gear when starting off leaving it feeling at odds will it gets back up to that gear. Alternatively you can try and jimmy up a connection to the solenoids or ECU, not sure how hard that would be though.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)

You would need like a Dictator to control the transmission. Then take a stick in a swivel ball mount. Put the different triggers switches in a box for the stick to press.

But it seems a waste of energy to me. But that should point you in a direction.

Careful & Consistent
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)

Quote:
There's both a physical link inside to the valve body and a selector switch on the right side of the transmission. You can actually shift these transmissions by hand if the ECU to transmission cable gets cuts. It's some redundancy Lexus built into these cars (along with the MX bus which will keep working even if it's cut because it's a ring).

You could implement this H pattern by creating a dummy shifter box with the H pattern and 7 switches to show which gear is currently selected, then you could tap into the shifter wiring to tell the ECU what "gear" you've selected bypassing the switch on the side of the transmission. You'd probably need a "neutral" switch too and a reverse switch for sure.

It would take making a prototype and seeing how it reacts. I'm thinking something like a raspberry pi between the switches and the ECU in order to program in some sanity checking. The ECU itself won't let you shift from say 5th to first even if you select them.

Quote:
But it seems a waste of energy to me. But that should point you in a direction.
Agreed. It's an interesting thought experiment. Might even be worth prototyping it for fun but pointless in the long run because nothing can override the shifting logic built into the ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page