User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Future Engine Swap

Hi guys,
Was wondering if it was possible to throw in a v6 or v8 engine into the Lexus is300 (2018), XP just asking for like future reference for modding cars, a bit new to the game XP could use some advice, if possible how much would it generally cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)

You can do it in the older IS300's. I suspect that while not impossible, it would be very difficult in the newer ones.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Follower

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

As opposed to the 2.0 turbo motor (8AR-FTS) with RWD? My guess is it would be easier to to figure out how to modify the stock motor for more power since, for example, Audi and VW 2.0L motors can certainly push the envelope. Otherwise maybe the IS350 V6? Sounds like a ton of work though.

NA Supra Clutch & Flywheel // Dezod Green Headers // BC 264 Cams // Titan V2 Cam Gear // JOEZ Intake

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 150 Post(s)

^^^ This

Wife got a Nx200t. Same 8ar-fts motor. The ecu has been cracked, so you can do a custom tune. There’s downpipes, exhaust, and intakes availiable now too. I bet bigger turbos, manifolds, and intercoolers won’t be far behind.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Follower

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris OK View Post
^^^ This

Wife got a Nx200t. Same 8ar-fts motor. The ecu has been cracked, so you can do a custom tune. Thereís downpipes, exhaust, and intakes availiable now too. I bet bigger turbos, manifolds, and intercoolers wonít be far behind.
That's bittersweet to hear! How has that ECU been cracked but not the IS300? Definitely the route I would take.

NA Supra Clutch & Flywheel // Dezod Green Headers // BC 264 Cams // Titan V2 Cam Gear // JOEZ Intake
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So an is350 v6 would work? Would there be any fitting issues with the is300 body? I dont mind the time to do it, to be honest it would be a good project and if not i wouldnt mind paying a decent amount of money to at least get is swapped out by professionals who probably could do it faster and correctly XD a lot better then me tbh. Been going for something similiar to an instagramer's lexus which is pretty beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alvin.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	119610  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:08 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_IS300 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris OK View Post
^^^ This

Wife got a Nx200t. Same 8ar-fts motor. The ecu has been cracked, so you can do a custom tune. There’s downpipes, exhaust, and intakes availiable now too. I bet bigger turbos, manifolds, and intercoolers won’t be far behind.
That's bittersweet to hear! How has that ECU been cracked but not the IS300? Definitely the route I would take.
I dunno how that happened. Different, easier architecture? That 8ar is in like 6 different vehicles, so maybe more initiative for tuners ? It’s a pretty neat little motor, twin scroll turbo with air/water intercooler. The stock boost gauge says it maxes out at 17psi (dunno how accurate it is). There is ZERO lag according to the boost gauge and it’s a very smooth transition from vacuum to boost. You can pick up quite a bit of hp (40ish hp) just swapping to a catless downpipe and either a piggyback or a custom tune. I think there’s quite a bit of hp on the table still. I haven’t seen anyone install a larger water radiator for the intercooler, but I think that’s a good option too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Extremist

Quote:
There is ZERO lag according to the boost gauge and it’s a very smooth transition from vacuum to boost.
All the reviews say it has pretty terrible turbo lag. It's one of the reasons I haven't gotten one for the wife.

Wife has a 2 series BMW with 2 liter turbo and 8 speed transmission. I used to claim it has no turbo lag until one time I nailed it hard from a stop and it just sat there for 2 seconds before it took off hard. You don't notice any lag in normal driving but off the line it's there.

Quote:
Was wondering if it was possible to throw in a v6 or v8 engine into the Lexus is300 (2018),
You're talking about a new IS300. This section is for the old IS300's. The most viable swap would probably be an IS350 drivetrain but it would probably be cheaper to sell the IS300 and simply buy an IS350.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post

All the reviews say it has pretty terrible turbo lag. It's one of the reasons I haven't gotten one for the wife.

Wife has a 2 series BMW with 2 liter turbo and 8 speed transmission. I used to claim it has no turbo lag until one time I nailed it hard from a stop and it just sat there for 2 seconds before it took off hard. You don't notice any lag in normal driving but off the line it's there.

viable swap would probably be an IS350 drivetrain but it would probably be cheaper to sell the IS300 and simply buy an IS350.

Could be turbo lag but the gauge shows insta-boost. The exhaust mani is really weird it’s like the turbo is bolted directly to the head almost. You can’t hear it spool so who knows. I think what is laggy is the dbw system. You guys should drive one, I mean it’s not gonna pin you to your seat but it surprisingly has a bit of power for a Toyota.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Could be turbo lag but the gauge shows insta-boost.
Most gauges these days are just connected to the computer and show whatever the manufacturer wants them to show. Like the temp gauges that stay at the same point from 150-230F degrees and then start to climb. So, it's hard to judge from gauges. To me turbo lag is when you gun it and nothing happens for a short time till before boost builds.

On older cars with low compression turbo engines (like the 2JZ and Suby's from the 00's) the lack of compression means they're gutless when there's no boost. Modern turbo's still have decent compression ratios so, they should have less lag and more guts when not boost. I haven't driven a modern turbo honda yet. I wonder if they have lag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page