Couple questions about the car (Noob) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Couple questions about the car (Noob)

Hey guys! I’m sort of new to the forum and new owner of a 2001 IS300.
So I’ve seen many swaps and i’m quite curious about it. Mine has a stock engine but it still redlines to 7200 rpm and i have NO CLUE what the past owner did to the car except the maintenance and the exhaust. The car has 195k and it runs so smooth which is pretty weird (or not). So my questions are:
-What are the chances of my engine blowing up and how can i check and prevent that?
-Does the Greddy piggyback tune works for me if i want power but also reliability on my “stock” engine without a turbo?
-Is it viable to put a small turbo my engine with stock internals? (Looking for 300/350whp)
-Should i consider swapping for a 1JZ or 2JZ? How much would it cost?
-How much power can i make using stock internals and bolt ons and still be reliable? Price range?
-Any tips on fixing the O2 sensor problems (P0141) to pass emissions?
-What are mods that would make a difference on my “butt dyno”?
-Will a set of 19x10 +55 offset fit on it?
-Any recommendations for breaks and rotors?

Thank you guys in advance please help this noob out! 😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)

2JZs are tough. Chances of it "blowing up" are small. Just keep good oil in it, keep the cooling system maintained so you never overheat it, and keep the timing belt maintained so it'll never break. Do these things and it'll likely hit 300k or more.

A piggyback or tuner is unlikely to "unlock' any appreciable power.

Adding a turbo to an otherwise stock 2JZ-GE VVTi is viable. It'll hold together just fine if you keep it to ~300-325hp.

A GTE swap will cost many, many thousands of dollars.

Cams, header and exhaust will get you ~35hp or so on an otherwise stock engine. Figure on $2500-3500 to do it right

You should consult the break upgrade and wheel/tire fitment threads. Lots and lots of info in them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
2JZs are tough. Chances of it "blowing up" are small. Just keep good oil in it, keep the cooling system maintained so you never overheat it, and keep the timing belt maintained so it'll never break. Do these things and it'll likely hit 300k or more.

A piggyback or tuner is unlikely to "unlock' any appreciable power.

Adding a turbo to an otherwise stock 2JZ-GE VVTi is viable. It'll hold together just fine if you keep it to ~300-325hp.

A GTE swap will cost many, many thousands of dollars.

Cams, header and exhaust will get you ~35hp or so on an otherwise stock engine. Figure on $2500-3500 to do it right

You should consult the break upgrade and wheel/tire fitment threads. Lots and lots of info in them.
I REALLY REALLY appreciate your input. I definitely don’t want to spend tons of money on my car specially because it needs lots of bodywork that i’m willing to do myself to save a buck. I heard lots of people saying that the 2JZ-GE is pay for power and is it really that bad?
And if I decide to turbo my engine what should i be aware of? Can i put GTE rods and pistons to make it more reliable and avoid issued? Or i can just throw a turbo on it and hope it doesn’t blow?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozingis View Post
I heard lots of people saying that the 2JZ-GE is pay for power and is it really that bad?
You will be fine at low boost with the GE, and trust me when I say that, if this is your DD, stock GTE power is more than adequate to have a little fun. GTE internals would come into play if you want to up the boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Quote:
So I’ve seen many swaps and i’m quite curious about it. Mine has a stock engine but it still redlines to 7200 rpm and i have NO CLUE what the past owner did to the car except the maintenance and the exhaust. The car has 195k and it runs so smooth which is pretty weird (or not). So my questions are:
-What are the chances of my engine blowing up and how can i check and prevent that?
-Does the Greddy piggyback tune works for me if i want power but also reliability on my “stock” engine without a turbo?
-Is it viable to put a small turbo my engine with stock internals? (Looking for 300/350whp)
-How much power can i make using stock internals and bolt ons and still be reliable? Price range?

You need about a 62mm turbo and some injectors. Some sort or fuel and timing control for good power and reliability. Will make 300 to 350 through an automatic. On a stock GE. But the auto will be on borrowed time without some mods.

There are several treads about this.

Careful & Consistent
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

Welcome. Check out this wheel fitment thread. I wouldn't try them on the front, but 19x10 +55 will fit the rear with shaved fenders and a slight pull (like a couple mm).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I would focus on upgrading the handling of the IS300 (sway, springs/shocks, end links, bushings) , some good rubber, remove the clutch dampener, and add a good exhaust/midpipe for just that little extra HP/response. There the car will perform very well, maybe not in a drag, but if you autocross and like spirited driving; those will be the best upgrades. DO THE MAINTANCE!!!!!!!

1990 Celica Turbo All-Trac (5-Speed)
2004 IS300 (5-Speed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page