Blowing Gaskets - Aftermarket Header :( - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 5Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbucker87 View Post
I know that for my stock midpipe I can look at it and tell the surface isn't true anymore....it didn't even seal from the get go showing how poor the two surfaces mate.



1. Is there anywhere we can buy just that aftermarket shaped gasket? I see a DNA kit on ebay for $19 but it includes the manifold gaskets and bolts too.....All I need is the double flange gasket.
why have you not made the mating surfaces smooth? you should be doing that to take any additional variables out. if it didnt even seal, obviously its bad enough it needs to be fixed.

have you tried emailing the seller on ebay?

also, you can try and order a dezod header, but according to others, he will take your money and you will not get anything. also i wouldnt even bother with the green headers. the cats clog up so fast, i dont know why anyone would buy them in the first place.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
mesooohoppy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Guru
 
Bezik777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ILLinoiS
Posts: 9,782
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
           
Garage
I’m having gasket sets made as we speak ... pm if you need a set.

Support The Troops - OIF Veteran - SSG of Soldiers - AND PROUD OF IT

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
Bezik777 is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Marietta
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777 View Post
Im having gasket sets made as we speak ... pm if you need a set.
Who are you having do it and in what material?

Careful & Consistent
01 SolarYellow is offline  
 
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 87.9 mi about 1 hour 42 mins from east parking lot
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
on my second Dezod greens now
when did you order your last set? really missing my mazzuri v2 but I've heard dezod is a headache to deal with

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon



VOLKS FOR SALE!
black86 is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Mr. Roo
 
TobiasSing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near DC
Posts: 9,101
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by black86 View Post
when did you order your last set? really missing my mazzuri v2 but I've heard dezod is a headache to deal with

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
It was around October 2017. I'd just get Figs
TobiasSing is offline  
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-12-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
 
Well I suppose you do get what you pay for and this might explain some things

Bought a remflex kit. Pretty neat stuff and I look forward to seeing how long it will last.



But in trying to make a gasket that fit the flange on the header better I figured out what might be the source of my problem. Pictures below





TobiasSing likes this.
humbucker87 is offline  
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Marietta
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbucker87 View Post
Well I suppose you do get what you pay for and this might explain some things

Bought a remflex kit. Pretty neat stuff and I look forward to seeing how long it will last.



But in trying to make a gasket that fit the flange on the header better I figured out what might be the source of my problem. Pictures below





Just a tip. Make a template with some poster board. I make the outer pattern with the bolt holes. For alignment purposes. Then I took the handle of a screw driver. Pressed it against the edges of the inside tubes. Or I have don most of th same with the gasket material. Just used white out or paint to mark the shape. That way it is as cloose to the shape as possible.

Hope you like th Remflex. I love it.

Careful & Consistent
01 SolarYellow is offline  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 12:45 AM
Follower
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
           
1st off thanks for using mm like the car was designed (and outside the US uses lol jks )

Im not 100% sure which is what, is that ~5mm difference between the 2 different mid pipes or between the header and one of the mid pipe? Are both the mid pipes the same size and the header is small?

Also are the bolts centered to both or are they off center as well which compounds the problem?

Assuming all the bolts are centered that's ~2.5mm off for each pipe, while not a huge amount it wont be helping with flow between the 2 parts. Depending on the thickness of the flanges you could try and use a die grinder to match them up better being careful not to grind past the weld, but that wont be causing a leak. Try using the digital caliper as a straight edge on the flange and look for any obvious deviations in the surfaces, you should be able to feel it catch on any peaks or see light where there are any troughs.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Pnut00 is offline  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut00 View Post
1st off thanks for using mm like the car was designed (and outside the US uses lol jks )

Im not 100% sure which is what, is that ~5mm difference between the 2 different mid pipes or between the header and one of the mid pipe? Are both the mid pipes the same size and the header is small?

Also are the bolts centered to both or are they off center as well which compounds the problem?

Assuming all the bolts are centered that's ~2.5mm off for each pipe, while not a huge amount it wont be helping with flow between the 2 parts. Depending on the thickness of the flanges you could try and use a die grinder to match them up better being careful not to grind past the weld, but that wont be causing a leak. Try using the digital caliper as a straight edge on the flange and look for any obvious deviations in the surfaces, you should be able to feel it catch on any peaks or see light where there are any troughs.
Hey sorry, I should have labeled the pictures better and described what I'm seeing. Basically one is the exit flange of the DNA header and the other is the input on the Megan Racing mid-pipe. For now I've given up on using the stock midpipe as the flange there is far too mangled for a gasket to solve the issue.

My real point was just that with such a mismatch in flange sizes I think it's making the area for the edge of the gasket to seal/cover that much thinner. It seems like both the dna flange and megan racing flange are perfectly flat (using a cheap level). I just didn't anticipate there being such a big difference in sizes.
humbucker87 is offline  
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Unread 04-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Follower
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Niagara
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
           
I'd take both the header and the mid pipe to a fabricator. Get the guy to make a new flange on the mid pipe or header, whatever is easiest. He'll have to weld the pipes closer or further apart on one end to compensate for the difference in distances.

Like Peanut said, the flow is going to be crap with that much of a difference.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
Piggity is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket exhaust manifold header install Trentthedude General Discussion 0 03-10-2016 07:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome