LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Blowing Gaskets - Aftermarket Header :(

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I would bring it up again to see if people had ideas about how to solve this. First off, I know one way to solve it would be to drop $1k-1.5k on either dezod or figs header....maybe one day.

I have a DNA header and when paired with either the stock midpipe or a megan racing midpipe I keep blowing gaskets. I know that for my stock midpipe I can look at it and tell the surface isn't true anymore....too much rust, etc. But I expected the megan racing midpipe to fair better. This morning I drove to work to test my own homemade gasket from Mr. Gasket material....it didn't even seal from the get go showing how poor the two surfaces mate.

One thought I've had is take it to an exhaust shop and have them chop off both ends and either permanently weld the two together (would make it more difficult to remove but not impossible) or vband the two collectors.

Two questions:

1. Is there anywhere we can buy just that aftermarket shaped gasket? I see a DNA kit on ebay for $19 but it includes the manifold gaskets and bolts too.....All I need is the double flange gasket.

2. Is there another good solution for this I'm not thinking of?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Addict

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

youre debating on whether to spend 20 bucks vs $1-1.5k.... I'd bite the bullet and find some change to buy the 20 bucks of gasket and useless other materials. just my 2cents

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 73 Post(s)

A pair of V bands is going to be tough to fit. The two tubes are awful close together.

I could never expect any of my local exhaust shops to do any kind of satisfactory custom work on a project like yours. Maybe your local shops are better. Another concern would be whether or not they'll work on an "off road" exhaust at all. In my area, this would need to be done by a specialty shop that focuses on custom racecar fabrication stuff. I'd expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for them to execute a nice solution.

I've fixed similar issues with a hand-operated belt sander, a metal straightedge and patience. I simply sanded the flanges until they were nice and flat, taking it easy the way and checking my work often so that I didn't grind an unwanted angle into the flange.
black86 and humbucker87 like this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I struggled with replacing the gaskets in that shit header design for years and finally put my stock headers back on, simply not worth the hassle. I've used liquid copper, made my own, bought aftermarket, and combinations of all together.
There will be a Megan header in my trash next week if anyone wants it

You have a few options:
1: lots of money for well designed headers
2: stock header back in
3: weld the two together and hope you never have to remove them
4: I saw a thread years ago but could never find it - but someone mimicked the stock header flange design with their aftermarket headers. He had two pipes welded into the outlets of the header so they would slip into the y-pipe. You'd most likely need to contact an exhaust shop because the tubing diameter won't be standard since it's going inside. He might have even cut a pipe length wise to help it compress... ugh I wish I could find that thread.

-= 15 Riviera Red GS350 F Sport =-
-= 03 Intensa Blue IS300 5spd =-
-= 99 Black Turbo ZX2 L10auto =-
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black86 View Post
youre debating on whether to spend 20 bucks vs $1-1.5k.... I'd bite the bullet and find some change to buy the 20 bucks of gasket and useless other materials. just my 2cents

Yeah, it's not so much spending $20 but rather spending $20 on a design I know will fail at the next track day. But you may be right it might be the only option.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)

If you're tracking the car anyway, the real headers sounds like a no brainer to me. Hearing these issues makes me glad I just "saved" my money and spent it on the right parts to begin with. No regrets buying the $1k headers twice.

First the $20 rotors installed backwards , and now this
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbucker87 View Post
Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I would bring it up again to see if people had ideas about how to solve this. First off, I know one way to solve it would be to drop $1k-1.5k on either dezod or figs header....maybe one day.

I have a DNA header and when paired with either the stock midpipe or a megan racing midpipe I keep blowing gaskets. I know that for my stock midpipe I can look at it and tell the surface isn't true anymore....too much rust, etc. But I expected the megan racing midpipe to fair better. This morning I drove to work to test my own homemade gasket from Mr. Gasket material....it didn't even seal from the get go showing how poor the two surfaces mate.

One thought I've had is take it to an exhaust shop and have them chop off both ends and either permanently weld the two together (would make it more difficult to remove but not impossible) or vband the two collectors.

Two questions:

1. Is there anywhere we can buy just that aftermarket shaped gasket? I see a DNA kit on ebay for $19 but it includes the manifold gaskets and bolts too.....All I need is the double flange gasket.

2. Is there another good solution for this I'm not thinking of?

I use compressed graphite from Remflex. Remflex Exhaust Header / Manifold Gaskets It is easy to cut and have not had any issues. Even on slightly uneven surfaces.
humbucker87 likes this.

Careful & Consistent
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
If you're tracking the car anyway, the real headers sounds like a no brainer to me. Hearing these issues makes me glad I just "saved" my money and spent it on the right parts to begin with. No regrets buying the $1k headers twice.

which header? my parents threw out my mazzuri v2

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post

Dude the struggle is real. I am both a car nut and a personal finance FIRE (financially independent retire early) prescriber. The two things couldn't be further from each other. The most depressing thing is the spreadsheet of spending on this car so far....could be worse for sure, but there have been some mistakes This last set of RE71r's lasted two weekends and are now done.

My monthly car budget to savings ratio is about 1:10 so maybe it's time to spend a bit more for once. I'm going to see if one of these DIY gaskets can hold with the megan midpipe.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:31 PM
Addict

Quote:
Dude the struggle is real. I am both a car nut and a personal finance FIRE (financially independent retire early) prescriber. The two things couldn't be further from each other. The most depressing thing is the spreadsheet of spending on this car so far....could be worse for sure, but there have been some mistakes This last set of RE71r's lasted two weekends and are now done.

My monthly car budget to savings ratio is about 1:10 so maybe it's time to spend a bit more for once. I'm going to see if one of these DIY gaskets can hold with the megan midpipe.
by weekends is that both days with 8 sessions each for 20 mins?

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

A lot of mine are 4, 25 minute sessions each day. So I'd guess I got 7 or 8 hours out of them. They are fast though for 200TW.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

do they always blow in the same spot? With both the mid pipes?

If so then you can pretty much say that is the weak area on the headers not the mid pipe. Can it be machined flat again? Or can the shop cut it off and weld on a new flange of better quality and flatness?

If the flanges are flat there is no reason it wont seal for these the same as it will for a stock header, if both are using the same flange.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:53 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
I've got OEM gasket on my header. Those you buy at Toyota shaped like a donut. Since th header is a bit bigger than oem manifold I've bought some Toyota Tundra exhaust gaskets. I can tell you the part number later. Still got the bag at work

2002 IS300 - Manual 5-speed LSD M85
Color: Cromax YR580M
TRD Carbon Fiber Shifter Ball
Custom Made Complete Cold Air Intake
Fidanza Exhaust Cam Gear
OBX Headers / Megan Racing Y-Pipe / Thrush Catback
Yonaka Spec II Coilovers / Cusco Strut Bar
SPC Rear Camber Kit
DBC Performance Black XDS Rotors / Carbon Brake Pads
Continental ProContact Tires
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Mathieu that would be interesting to take a look at the tundra gaskets.

@Pnut00 I think it has been blowing out in the same spot so I should take a closer look at the flange and make sure there isn't something weird there. To be honest the more I look at my stock midpipe there is no way it will ever seal against a flat flange like the aftermarket one. Because of the age and rust it's not even close to flat.

Another interesting observation I made last night (although not surprising given the price of the DNA header) is that the exhaust gasket that blew out did not align with the exit of the header very well at all. Below I drew a red circle approximately where the header pipe would line up with the bolts are through the holes. Meaning that the bottom of the gasket would be getting non stop hot exhaust gas passing over it. As suggested earlier I'm going to try and cut my own gasket from remflex material and make sure it lines up much better.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by black86 View Post
which header?
on my second Dezod greens now

Quote:

I hear ya. If you saw my spreadsheet, you'd probably have an aneurysm lol. But I've definitely learned that it's just worth it, literally, to do it right the first time. Spend the big bucks now, or later with the extra you wasted on cheap stuff. Besides, what good is money if you never spend it? lol.
Pnut00 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page