Lexus IS Forum banner

All Members Read This Now!!! Newb Or Not!!!

90K views 136 replies 100 participants last post by  roulbs 
#1 ·
the reason i'm here is due to a good friend of mine. he told me about this site and he's someone i consider to be a "guru" in the automotive world. he used to actually be a member of this site and all this time he's been wanting an IS300...

anyway, he just got one and he mentioned to me this moring how he came back onto the site...i want to quote him on what he wrote but i don't want to make his email public knowledge. basically, what he's telling me is that he can't believe how the forums have changed.

you know what...screw it...this is from his email:

"I see posts where newbs are asking questions.. legitimate questions.. 90% of the time its some callous remark about doing a search first.. the other 10% of the time its something sarcastic.. rarely is it informational.. very rarely.. also, half the posts are "yeah.. I agree" or "^^ what he said".. its like.. dude.. where's the content ? occasionally I'll find a tidbit of good info.. but half the time, its just all BS.."

and you know what...he's right!!! this is a serious part of the forum here. the "Go Fast Stuff" forum i mean. do we really need the BS in here???

i know we all get mad at the newbs asking the same questions...but come on people...if you going to argue and bicker about STUPID crap...take it to the PL!!!

also, if there's a newb asking a legit question...treat them with a little more respect. be nice...unless of course they're rude too...then go flame for all i care.

BASICALLY, all i'm asking is for you guys to take the small talk, well mostly the fighting/name calling/stupid posts to the PL and post IS300 related stuff in here.

when i go into a new forum, i expect people to treat me nice and not jump down my throat...so please don't do the same here...PLEASE. this is how we start giving ourselves a bad rep...tone it down a bit or else we'll have to REALLY start moderating shiet!!!

Thanks for your attention...

See less See more
#4 ·
i'm glad someone realized this. when i first registered, i'd ask questions like newbies would be asking and i rareley got "do a serch NOOB". my question was answered. i was happy and the person who answered it did a good deed. now a days its diffrent. i go to other forums, and there are alot of questions repeated over and over again. usually there are ppl who just tell em to search. though most of the time there are some who answer it. some forums hav a FAQ at the top of the forum, this prevents alot of repeated questions. if we can get a sticky like that then i think alot of the "how much hp can i get out of an i/h/e" questions can be prevented. the FAQ IMHO will save alot of headaces.

the search function on this forum is terrible. i dunno how some of you guys do it, but i have a hard time finding imformation that i'm looking for.

peace

-Paul

#5 ·
What bugs me about the search isnt its functionality.. its that when you do execute a search, you'll pull up plenty of topics on, say the "best intake".. but like 9 out of 10 threads dont answer the question or come close to providing any information to make a decision, much less a suggestion.. they're just filled with "dude.. this has been discussed".. so yeah, you can do the search, but most of it is garbage.. I understand that the questions have been asked hundreds, thousands of times and I'm sure some people get sick of seeing it.. but seriously, why not just answer the question with a simple "SRT", for example, rather than go into some long winded reply about how to use the search engine.. no one has the time or patience to answer a question, yet they have all the time in the world to do their name calling/flaming, sermons on the proper use of the search engine, and comments about someone's IQ..

Its sad.. I get more information by calling shops directly.. it may be useful information to some.. it may not.. but is it worth sharing with everyone knowing that there is a potential "threat" of being ridiculed by other members ? Why would anyone want to post anything and get a kick to the groin as a gesture of appreciation ? Its not worth anyone's time..

I saw a similar thread was started in the General Discussion area.. I'm glad to see others recognize there has been a detrimental change in general attitudes.. but as someone else pointed out, the attutide isnt going to change unless it comes "from above"..

#6 ·
completely agree...Flaming is not needed

If you have time to flame someone, then you have time to help someone out.

Not everyone was born from the woom of an IS300 inline straight 6 engine. We all here have questions and are interested in becoming unique and standing out above the standard IS... I love my car, but by no means would ever trust myself to do the modifications myself. Rather like expecting someone to manage my network who knows only how to turn on a pc.

the searches don't always pull up what you want. Example did a search today for Dyno tuning and SRT and received about 95% garbage. Perhaps my searching abilities aren't quite as honed. But that's why a forum is created in the first place to share mutual ideas and input.

Just my .02

Best of luck all with your cars...

IS300 02'
18" Enkie RS6
SRT Air Intake /ECU
L-Sportline Exhaust
Sun Hyper Grounding Kit...still looking for more umph! :crazy: :D

#7 ·
basically, this forum is here to help us all out...newbie or not...

also, i'm pretty sure tony would like traffic here to continue to increase. if we keep up treating newbies badly, our traffic will suffer and sooner or later, people will not be willing to come here. there's already been talks about how rude people on this site are...new people will not want to come here if this continues.

please help to welcome people and try not scaring them away...

thanks.

Reactions: JayMarino
#8 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same. Search button is useless, quite frankly. 9 out of 10 posts are just garbage. It takes me hours of wasted time sifting through all the useless posts. Like what IT said, the forum is a place for IS300 owners to learn, not bash.

After lurking on this site for a couple of months now, I pretty much know who is the real deal, i.e. very technically knowledgeable about cars. Since owning this car, I actually frequent other car sites forums more than this site. That's only b/c other forums sites provide better facts about cars (in general) as well as showing mutual respect for its fellow owners. Something that's slowly degenerating on this site. The powers that be need to lay down the law.

Just my 2.5 cents.

#9 ·
speedtrap said:
After lurking on this site for a couple of months now, I pretty much know who is the real deal, i.e. very technically knowledgeable about cars. The rest are people who only care about there post count.
we're counting posts??? where???

#10 ·
HyperMKIV said:
speedtrap said:
After lurking on this site for a couple of months now, I pretty much know who is the real deal, i.e. very technically knowledgeable about cars. The rest are people who only care about there post count.
we're counting posts??? where???
Oops...That one should be deleted since obviously no one here does that. Much apologies.

#12 ·
Very well put. I agree with you that most posts are a buch of nonesense, I am finding myself deleting at least 5 posts a day due to nonesense. So everyone please treat ppl the way you would like to be treated, Hyper said it the best, No more BS it is giving this community a bad rep, so lets not waste a good thing.

As for the Newbs, I have noticed as well ppl slaming newbies just for asking a question, please ppl you were a newbie at one point in time as well, also quit telling ppl to search on every little thing, sometimes you don't always find what you are looking for so what is the harm in asking, if you feel it is a BS post, the PM a moderator to have them either lock/delete the thread. Treat ppl w/ the same respect you would like to recieve, and for those who don't know, the person w/ the most posts doesn't mean anything...

#13 ·
What i think might help would be more informative stickies at the top with very good names:

Sticky: What is the Best Intake / Exhaust?
Sticky: Check Engine Light
Sticky: There is no "Chip" for the IS300 (and other posts marked "Retarded" by GTE :lol: )

because a lot of the posts are what most of the "search n00b" replies are for... maybe?

#14 ·
hey

Thank god someone finalyy said something. I am kinda new to this site and I have tried not to put any posts up b/c I know someone will jump all down my throat. Just b/c you do a search doesnt mean you will find out what you need. People really need to get a grip and just calm down in here. If you dont want to answer a noobie question then just hit the back button and go to another post, dont just down his throat. We are on here to help each other out, not jump all over them. Sorry, had to vent. Thanks for finally posting this problem.

#15 ·
i don't know whether to call myself a noob or not... been here for so long, but didn't start posting until recently. I was afraid, just like many ppl here.. now I could really give 2 shizzles if ppl write "do a search jackass", "it was posted 50 times already".. if I can't find it, I'm posting it. No need to be afraid, are you worried about your image on .net??

This goes out to all those guys who think they are superior to everyone else here on .net...

8=====D [o

#108 ·
I totally agree, I was the same way and just now started posting since I saved up money to finally get a Turbo.

Now, Im going to take advantage of this Thread and ask for help! I posted another thread that has the information of a Turbo I am buying actually today. I have not received any answers or feedback so Im afraid Im going blind to buy it.

Could anyone help me decide????

http://my.is/forums/f114/help-decide-turbo-setup-2002-is300-389899/

#16 ·
Hmmmmmmm........

I don't really understand why anyone would be "afraid" to post anything here.. if some dickheads here give you sh!t... SO WHAT? r u all so frail that a few bytes of rudeness, stupidity & unhelpfulness will put you back in your shell???

Assholes are everywhere.... better get used to it or it will be a REAL hard adjustment to life in the REAL world where assholes can be that way in PERSON, not behind a screen name or keyboard

We all have posted a snappy retort to someone who has posted a lame Q or is just being stoopid... but in the end it's just crap on a screen no one should be hurt & offended & afraid of the backlash.... fhuck them...post up.

I am NOT condoning this behaviour in any way, but untill some people grow up we will have to take the good with the bad & overall this site provides more good than bad for the members here even with a bunch of snot nosed punks ruining it & giving us a bad name...

There are a bunch of snide dicks here more so than other sites for SOME reason...? some are dicks ALL the time & some are snotty only on a bad day or what ever.. .Some are even the Moderators too..!? :shame:

Mods SHOULD set the example for the rest of the members.

I acknowledge that it is a pain to wade thru all the stoopid responses that often get posted up... & I hope as the avg .net member GROWS FHUCKING UP a little bit... they will see the error of their ways begin to look outside their little jacked up world & develop some proper, decent social skills.. we'll see...

Several of the members here are (or SEEM TO BE) snotty rich punkass kids who's mommies & daddies bought them a super nice freaking car at 16 or LESS instead of giving them a little more attention & love,... & these weenies take their unfulfilled life issues & personal frustrations out here & act like assholes & DEFINITELY give the site a BAD rep... not much you can do about that but set the better example & take the higher road as much as possible...

I will do MY part to help bring up the over all level of support here for my fellow member & all newbs too i hope more of us can join in..

BUT...but I DO reserve the right to SLAM that buttwipe IS300er as many times as needed untill HE pull his head outta his ASS or grows the hell up. :wink:

Edge

#52 ·
Agreed with most everything said. One of my other vehicles uses a mailing list for information, it is the most technically minded source of information that i can find for any single make of road going car on the net. The newbies do not come on looking for quick answers, they do more themselves, they do research, and look around before asking a question.

Too many people are lazy. That is what it comes down to. You have a dozen or so people doing the work for the rest of the group. These are the people engineering the parts, solving the problems and what not. Then you have the rest of the people asking how to install and intake or which intake is better instead of talking about engineering parts that aren't produced...etc. Items like "help me decide which exhaust" wear on you when you are in a technical forum rather than a newbie forum.

It becomes frustrating for people trying to develop the newest stuff to break into the next step of NA performance to have new people coming spouting off stuff they do not know instead of sitting back and listening. It is not a problem with the existing members, it is a problem with the new ones. I am by no means a veteran compared to some people, but when i know something, i can fully discuss it instead of google searching for answers from another forum filled with hacks.

Maybe there should be sub sections. Ones for general questions of NA performance and one that is a technical forum. Figuring out which greddy exhaust is sold where for how much is a matter of a general question. Talking about header design, intake design, cam timing and phasing and other intricacies that need to be explored are technical rather than picking up a parts catalog. Using your brain vs not using your brain. That is where the problem comes in.

I have asked on occasion to a few members if there are places where technical and engineering type of IS300 questions can be proposed and thoroughly examined, with no avail, i love the site, but it gets frustrating when misinformation is given out.

So in conclusion, use the search function.

#17 ·
I can't agree with you more. When I first registered and asked a question forbidden to be asked in open forum, becasue I wasn't aware of the search, I got my ass chewed out and it started quite to-do. Bottom line is I felt uncomfortable askng anything else. All that happened was that I got into a pissing contest and talked shit to the others that were rude to me. Thanks for bringing this up and I respect the way you wrote the post.

#20 ·
jimpn said:
I'm a "New B" to this site and it happens this is the first post I've opened and read. Thanks for the heads up and consideration for the new folks joining.

From a 99' Altezza Owner
Jimpn
Sweet a true JDM owner here, welcome to the site....

#21 ·
I also commited the "sin" of asking about What people thought was the best body kit for the money when I first registered. :oops:

I got flamed with pictures of people doing dumb things and also received so many "Do a search" that I was hesitant to ask anything again. :noway:

What I don't understand is that most of the time it would take just as much time to answer the questions than to write "Do a search dumbass!" and post a picture.

When I see a question that I know has already been answered, instead of flamin' the guy, I do the search and post the URL for the member.

I mean, isn't that why we're really here...to help each other? 8)

#24 ·
I think most of these problems could be resolved with a better categorization of the topic. For instance, in Go Fast Stuff I would like to see some sub-categorization that includes: intakes, exhausts, superchargers, turbochargers, ecu, etc. This would allow for focused groups of discussions and refinement of search results.

Another way to clear this up is to move or link improtant threads to a thread for newbies. If there is a good discussion about supercharger vs turbocharger, an admin should link it to a newbie thread.

Just some suggestions.

Since this is my second post in the last year, you can see I am lurker :p

#25 ·
larsomatic said:
I think most of these problems could be resolved with a better categorization of the topic. For instance, in Go Fast Stuff I would like to see some sub-categorization that includes: intakes, exhausts, superchargers, turbochargers, ecu, etc. This would allow for focused groups of discussions and refinement of search results.

Another way to clear this up is to move or link improtant threads to a thread for newbies. If there is a good discussion about supercharger vs turbocharger, an admin should link it to a newbie thread.

Just some suggestions.

Since this is my second post in the last year, you can see I am lurker :p

That is a very valid point, I will discuss this w/ the Owners of this site...

Thank you for your imput...

#26 ·
boost

I'm a new bie that is changing from a super chared integra that ran13.3 @106,so I now a little bit about cars and now I want to try a tubro kit for an IS . I will need some help.it looks like two kit are reputable thank for the info, but when it comes to the hard stuff I will need some help but right now I'm learning. bottom line don't treat the newbies to bad you might need are help when we have 7000 post thank you very much jasin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.