User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

A650e rebuild Q's

Good afternoon.
I've looked around and have seen dozens of vids on Youtube of the shift 'enhancer' mods for the auto's but don't see ANYTHING on doing a rebuild of them. (a trans-go kit and some change DOESN'T rebuild your auto trans BTW)

I'm noticing some minor problems/issues with my '02 shifting to 5th, and have to manually E-shift to 4th, then back to 5th for it to go into gear. I'd like to know if there's any ATSG type manuals? https://www.atsg.us/atsg/catalogsear...?q=Lexus+a650e

Also, didn't find anything when doing a search for rebuilding the A650e (even in the downloadable manual outside of fluid changes etc..)
And YES, I did a fluid change along with a filter/screen/gasket when I first got it. (150K mi)

Probably the biggest reason I want to do a motor/trans swap is the cost of just rebuilding the 'stock' trans let alone any high performance upgrades.
But until I have all the swap parts, i need to have this working to it's potential. (I'd rather NOT look at a $2500-$3000 "stock" rebuild when I can get a 'yard' trans and do it myself if I can get a kit..
AND that's NOT including a NEW converter)
ANY good info is appreciated.

ALSO, it looks like the a650e was used in a number of Lexus vehicles. So, does anyone have insight of swapping torque converters from lighter vehicles may give a higher stall, or different valve body or shift sensors from other model cars give better performance?

Thanks
E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

OK, found a kit with special clutches I think.. (waiting on confirmation.)

So now just need knowledge on any special tools or the like.

Thanks
E
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosocko View Post
Good afternoon.
I've looked around and have seen dozens of vids on Youtube of the shift 'enhancer' mods for the auto's but don't see ANYTHING on doing a rebuild of them. (a trans-go kit and some change DOESN'T rebuild your auto trans BTW)

I'm noticing some minor problems/issues with my '02 shifting to 5th, and have to manually E-shift to 4th, then back to 5th for it to go into gear. I'd like to know if there's any ATSG type manuals? https://www.atsg.us/atsg/catalogsear...?q=Lexus+a650e

Also, didn't find anything when doing a search for rebuilding the A650e (even in the downloadable manual outside of fluid changes etc..)
And YES, I did a fluid change along with a filter/screen/gasket when I first got it. (150K mi)

Probably the biggest reason I want to do a motor/trans swap is the cost of just rebuilding the 'stock' trans let alone any high performance upgrades.
But until I have all the swap parts, i need to have this working to it's potential. (I'd rather NOT look at a $2500-$3000 "stock" rebuild when I can get a 'yard' trans and do it myself if I can get a kit..

ALSO, it looks like the a650e was used in a number of Lexus vehicles. So, does anyone have insight of swapping torque converters from lighter vehicles may give a higher stall, or different valve body or shift sensors from other model cars give better performance?

Thanks
E
There are a few companies that sell upgrade parts. As for a manual. I do not recall seen a PDK file. I do own a factory manual. I found it online a while back.

I would ask if you have a lot of experience with rebuilding electronic controlled transmissions? If not. I would just get Jeff at Powerdynamix Engine Performance Upgrades | PowerDynamix to build it.

Careful & Consistent

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:51 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosocko View Post
Good afternoon.

Thanks
E
My transmission is doing the same thing for 5th gear. I just keep using the e-shift. I just keep it at 4 then when I get to a certain rom for 4th, I just change it to 5th. It’s annoying but I’m just dealing with it. If you find something to help this issue, please post it. I would like to try and get it fixed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)

I bought a used transmission from Ebay. It was to my door for about $500.

techinfo.toyota.com.

If you sign up for 3 days for $15, you can download all the PDF's for the IS300 including the one for the transmission.

I've had 2 of these apart when I did my V8 swap. You need a monster snap ring pliers set to take them apart.

Personally, I'd buy a used transmission before I tried to rebuild. Transmission parts are insanely expensive. A couple shift solenoids cost more than a complete used transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page