• 1 Post By Ek9B18
  • 1 Post By Posh469

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Is WOT bad for my engine?

Is it bad for my engine if I use wide open throttle? I was recently doing errands with my father and at one point I went on about 70-80% throttle so he told me to "not be so hard on my engine because [I]'ll blow it" is this really true? I have a 2001 IS300 with almost 120,000 miles on it and want to make sure I don't blow up my engine, even though it would be a great excuse to do a GTE swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am new to the JZ but my understanding from years of being a gearhead: If your engine is in fine working order floor it. If it has bad rings it will burn oil. If you hit the rev limiter it will limit your rev's (freaks you out the first time it happens). Push it to the redline and shift (or let it shift for you, my auto is300 shifts at redline just fine).

With that said... if you have a timing belt that is old it can stress it (that's bad when it goes... fatal. I'm assuming the 2JZ is interference vs non-interference, am I correct?).

Wide open on the throttle is also different than redlining... you can floor it and shift up through the gears and never hit the rev limiter.

Your Dad is probably freaked out because your his kid and your driving like a lunatic... kidding! ;-)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseKnuckle View Post
I am new to the JZ but my understanding from years of being a gearhead: If your engine is in fine working order floor it. If it has bad rings it will burn oil. If you hit the rev limiter it will limit your rev's (freaks you out the first time it happens). Push it to the redline and shift (or let it shift for you, my auto is300 shifts at redline just fine).

With that said... if you have a timing belt that is old it can stress it (that's bad when it goes... fatal. I'm assuming the 2JZ is interference vs non-interference, am I correct?).

Wide open on the throttle is also different than redlining... you can floor it and shift up through the gears and never hit the rev limiter.

Your Dad is probably freaked out because your his kid and your driving like a lunatic... kidding! ;-)
It just had its timing belt replaced at 115,000 miles. Imo he seems to thinks that anything over 4000rpms will hurt my engine, anyways thanks for the info!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Garage
Punching the car at WOT can actually do the engine good (ever once in awhile) as it can burn off carbon buildup that occurs under normal driving conditions.
- So grab some octane boost or fuel injector cleaner at your local auto parts store and have at it!

Now that being said: you put on an exhaust, intake on, and some other little mods - inevitable you'll start driving the car "harder" as you are most likely enjoying the production of sounds your car in now making. This is def true for me. Stay up on oil changes and check your oil levels periodically. If you plan on driving the car hard, be ready for staying proactive and up-to-date on maintenance (eg. Trans flushes (if AT), Differential flush, coolant flushes, belts, and water pump.) - by all means enjoy the car.

I always laughed at this one: "Car's are like a fine female. Ready to be driven. Whats the point of keeping her virgin to simply pass along to the next guy?"
- Or something like that.

<3 IS LUV <3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)

Quote:
It just had its timing belt replaced at 115,000 miles. Imo he seems to thinks that anything over 4000rpms will hurt my engine, anyways thanks for the info!
That's what dad's do.

When I taught my kid to drive stick, I gave him a simple rule which works until he can make his own rules. "Up at 4000, down at 2000". When I drive normally, I shift up at 4K or more. WOT is clearly more stressful for the engine than not but you only live life once. If I blow up my engine (which I won't) a new used engine is $1000 on ebay.

The question to ask is whether you serve the car or the car serves you. I've never broken a Japanese car by driving it hard.
Posh469 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)

Well, what is "WOT" anyway? These cars are so dumbified and computerized, that even if you floor it, you're well within the specs of what the engine can handle. It won't let you damage itself lol.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Garage
Debatable. I went Wide Open Throttle on my 2018 Camry XSE with just over 600miles on it this spring and had the engine misfire on me.
I am sure the Camry has more trim level monitoring and has more computing power than our Is's.

- Still to your point: With regular maintenance, I would be surprised if he has issues on a 118K Miled IS. I've got 185K+ on mine and it still runs like a dream.
His dad is being Dad and probably isnt familiar with a straight 6, RWD, or 200+ Torque.

People used to say I jetted too around town- its just the torque and RWD that most people arent used to as passengers... RWD is a push not a pull.
- even I forget the feeling over our long winters here in WI- but come springtime: even I get that shitty grin on my face every time I launch it for the first time. :D

Take a video next time so we can all watch "IS300 - Dad Meltdown" on the next YouTube Episode. lol
Piggity likes this.

<3 IS LUV <3
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Powering over in the rain can be done at much lower speeds and is far less damaging to the car, but don't be in any kind of rush getting there (I usually take about a year to get to know a car enough to really start pushing it, that muscle memory can really come in handy when things don't go as planned). Just remember, the colder it is out, the less grip you have, so cold rain is especially slick, and not all asphalt grips the same. Another very important thing to note is that the rear end steps out much easier under braking than acceleration, so try to get the feel for both and never confuse the two during an impulse decision to snap that wheel (always think through what you are about to do, especially when doing dumb stuff like this : ).

To me, corner entry and weight transfer are much more important than acceleration and power, and everything kind of follows a natural progression if you tune your brakes and chassis before engine upgrades. You cant properly use excess power without a properly tuned suspension and increased braking power, and there is no point in exiting a corner fast that was entered relatively slowly. Plus, it's so much cheaper to tune the chassis first, and, to me, equally as thrilling to fly into a corner under heavy braking and transfer the weight so that the tires bite in than simply mashing hard on straightaways (which don't get me wrong top speed is great and all but has many more risks).

Don't take my word for it though, I'm a complete rookie, just been doing a lot recon in my dailys for the past few years.

Last edited by trancend; 09-25-2018 at 08:54 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Your dad would hate me. Next time he gets on you show him this video of wide open throttle in 3rd 4th and 5th gear at Charlotte speedway in My daily driver with track tires.

https://youtu.be/YXT4qy0HAMs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh469 View Post
Debatable. I went Wide Open Throttle on my 2018 Camry XSE with just over 600miles on it this spring and had the engine misfire on me.
I am sure the Camry has more trim level monitoring and has more computing power than our Is's.

- Still to your point: With regular maintenance, I would be surprised if he has issues on a 118K Miled IS. I've got 185K+ on mine and it still runs like a dream.
His dad is being Dad and probably isnt familiar with a straight 6, RWD, or 200+ Torque.

People used to say I jetted too around town- its just the torque and RWD that most people arent used to as passengers... RWD is a push not a pull.
- even I forget the feeling over our long winters here in WI- but come springtime: even I get that shitty grin on my face every time I launch it for the first time. :D

Take a video next time so we can all watch "IS300 - Dad Meltdown" on the next YouTube Episode. lol
Im sure my dad is used to torquey RWD cars. He owns a 1968 cutlass with a 400BHP 455ci engine in it...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh469 View Post
Punching the car at WOT can actually do the engine good (ever once in awhile) as it can burn off carbon buildup that occurs under normal driving conditions.
- So grab some octane boost or fuel injector cleaner at your local auto parts store and have at it!

Now that being said: you put on an exhaust, intake on, and some other little mods - inevitable you'll start driving the car "harder" as you are most likely enjoying the production of sounds your car in now making. This is def true for me. Stay up on oil changes and check your oil levels periodically. If you plan on driving the car hard, be ready for staying proactive and up-to-date on maintenance (eg. Trans flushes (if AT), Differential flush, coolant flushes, belts, and water pump.) - by all means enjoy the car.

I always laughed at this one: "Car's are like a fine female. Ready to be driven. Whats the point of keeping her virgin to simply pass along to the next guy?"
- Or something like that.
Have already done exhaust on it, and the original owner put an AEM intake on it as well. Right now im in the process of putting lowering springs her, its taking a little while though because I've never changed springs before and a lot of the parts are pretty rusted on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page