Why is it hard for me to find an original IS300 in manual transmission? - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:20 PM
Loyalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2884987 View Post
Honestly don't mind paying a premium, but if I do get in an accident, insurance will most likely go off KBB or NADA, not the REAL market price as you're seeing now. You see where I'm getting at. It happened to me before, I had a nice old Lexus that looked like it came off the showroom because I detailed it every 2 weeks. Basically I babied it. When I got rear ended, the insurance totaled it and the payout was lowball. Since the accident, that's why I'm in the market for the IS. Particularly the first gen IS because I have a fond for them. I can easily find a second gen IS250 manual that isn't riced out and well kept. In fact, one was being sold at my local CarMax lot, pricing was fair. Pricing for the IS300 manual is on an overinflated value; at that price point, I rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ/86 for a much better deal and even below my budget.
It sounds to me like you aren't ready for an IS300. If you'd rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ, for 12k instead of a mint IS300, then you definitely aren't ready. I overpaid a bit for mine. I was willing to because I understood that the platform demanded it. Most other people on this forum, I've observed, have been in the game for a while and have their own experiences.

If you think that a mint IS300 is comparable to a Mustang, or Camaro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
/thread
TobiasSing likes this.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
...I rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ/86 for a much better deal and even below my budget.
Then do it.

02 IS300 GGP - manual w/ LSD, full leather, nav, 204k miles

Suspension: Hotchkis springs + anti roll bars
Exhaust: Megan headers, Megan Y, HKS Carbon Ti
Brakes: EBC YellowStuff, StopTech SS Lines, Motul 600
Tires: Bridgestone RE71r
Cooling: Innovate Motorsports oil pressure + temp gauge
Lighting: Smoked side markers + fogs, LED interior + accent lighting
Misc: FIGS CDD, auto-TRAC off mod, Android nav-tablet retrofit

Car pics here

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:02 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)

i was able to find a bone stock one in the bay for 7k in under 2 minutes. im not sure what the point of this thread is, but it just sounds like a whole bunch of noise to me.

based off your response from my PM, you seem picky. there is nothing wrong with that, but be prepared to wait. i waited 6 months looking for a LS430 before i finally found my car.

fractional linked you a manual sportdesign in WA state on CL on your WTB thread. its expensive, but you claim to have money (despite claiming these cars are 'inflated)'. did you reach out to that person?

keep looking. this isnt that hard.
TobiasSing and jtbask11 like this.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Pricing for the IS300 manual is on an overinflated value; at that price point, I rather get a Mustang, Camaro, or BRZ/86 for a much better deal and even below my budget.
Over-inflated?

Have you seen the prices on air-cooled 911s?!?!

Over inflated or not, doesn't change the fact that if you want one, you'll need to stroke a big fat check.
jtbask11 likes this.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Addict

Location: 87.9 mi Ė about 1 hour 42 mins from east parking lot
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

bums...

https://www.autotempest.com/results?...domesticonly=1 that'd manual transmission only search

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)

Quote:
For those that don't believe me... Far too easy to find a 2nd gen IS250 manual transmission at a reasonable price. They're even low miles and all of them are stock! All of these cars fit my budget.
who cares? you want a manual is300.

im starting to think you either arent looking hard enough, dont have money, or just want to waste all of our time.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
who cares? you want a manual is300.

im starting to think you either arent looking hard enough, dont have money, or just want to waste all of our time.
I'm starting to not want it anymore and move on to something that makes more sense. Even BMWs with manual transmission run about 7k on the median side. I am looking every day, you don't have an idea that's literally what I do every day coming home from work and once every weekend. I'm searching at every inch of the internet. I have enough money to buy a 100k car, I want something older since new cars are boring and majority lack a manual with 4 doors. I went on many different forums asking for opinions, which is how I formulate what I am willing to pay for the kind of condition they're in, like a car collector. I'm not wasting your time, if you think I am then don't participate.

Oh and btw, I know that you posted to sell your car to at least 3 different forums all on 3 different names. That's how through I am with searching for my car.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:15 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Sounds like you're getting impatient. I searched for a black/black manual for about a year on and off before finding mine. I even left a note on one that I saw parked at my workplace but never got a response.

The car I bought was the perfect car was looking for..stock, unmolested black/black manual LSD for $3,500. The original owner had the window sticker and a stack of maintenance receipts. The car did have 200k and needed some TLC, but the owner really didn't know what he had. He was clearly confused when guys were offering him more money as I was flying up to get it.

The deals are out there, you just have to wait. That's just how it is with this car.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
I'm starting to not want it anymore and move on to something that makes more sense. Even BMWs with manual transmission run about 7k on the median side. I am looking every day, you don't have an idea that's literally what I do every day coming home from work and once every weekend. I'm searching at every inch of the internet. I have enough money to buy a 100k car, I want something older since new cars are boring and majority lack a manual with 4 doors. I went on many different forums asking for opinions, which is how I formulate what I am willing to pay for the kind of condition they're in, like a car collector. I'm not wasting your time, if you think I am then don't participate.
First I want to make it clear everything I'm about to say is meant to be in a calm and friendly tone.

I think you have the correct idea now. When I was searching for my IS300, I also considered a Supra. Anyone can tell you those cars are "overpriced" on the used market, but that is just what the market values them at. I thought I was getting better bang for my buck with an IS300 considering it was newer, otherwise somewhat similar, probably more luxurious, and half the price for comparable condition etc. If the manual IS300 is more valued on the used market than what can be considered "reasonable", as everyone said, its because many people want one, and there isn't a huge stockpile of them.

I definitely paid more than a person who didn't care about this specific car would, and an excellent example of that is how much more the manuals demand than a comparable automatic. Nobody would tell you the AE86 Toyota GTS hatchback in manual is good value for money but there is plenty of people willing to pay what most consider an unreasonably high price for it.

Also consider an unmolested manual IS300 is known for being extremely reliable with reasonably priced parts for repair (if and) when necessary. That alone makes me prefer it over many other cars I was also considering, and why I ruled out BMW. I paid a little on the high side for it and fully aware, but thats the sacrifice I made to make sure I secured it when I saw it listed for sale. Have had it 5 years now and despite having brake sound issues now, I'm VERY satisfied with it, simply because it is exactly what I wanted! Would do it again!

FYI I paid $11k for mine back in 2014 for a pretty much bone stock, clean IS300 manual with 87k. Just as a point of reference, and because its yet another excuse to talk about my lovely car.

Keep in mind it was EXACTLY what I wanted. Blue with black (full) leather interior. In my mind it was a good deal, and many agree with me, hence the high used market value.
FRaCTioNaL likes this.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Lurker

Speaking of BMW, I was considering an e92 335i for a long while and decided against it due to the potential maintenance and reliability issues. They are very capable and well engineered cars, but as with most aging German vehicles they need money to keep them going.

Meanwhile a 1IS might need a pair of $20 balljoints and an $80 timing belt and it will keep running strong for another 12+ years lol
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGM_IS View Post
Speaking of BMW, I was considering an e92 335i for a long while and decided against it due to the potential maintenance and reliability issues. They are very capable and well engineered cars, but as with most aging German vehicles they need money to keep them going.

Meanwhile a 1IS might need a pair of $20 balljoints and an $80 timing belt and it will keep running strong for another 12+ years lol
This is exactly why I want an IS300 instead of a 4 door BMW. Meanwhile, I get roasted from BMW/Mercedes/Audi fanboys for saying their car has maintenance and reliability issues on Reddit.

Last edited by b2884987; 06-04-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Lurker

Let them continue spending money on keeping the car on the road while we spend money on mods lol
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I found 5 manuals in my area pretty much full bone stock, Black on Black (2), Black on Tan, Charcoal Grey on Black, Silver on Black, for 4000USD to 7000USD with 120mi to 296mi - I will grab one or all and can drive 'em down to you for a fee of course....... They are all in KMs, its an easy swap to MIs.

There's a couple older M3 and M5s too..... If you do go BMW I can give you advice on how to tear the entire V8 engine apart to replace 50$ plastic chain guides every 50000Mi or replacing the L4/L6 Vanos seals and/or all the hard plastic cooling system every 80000Mi.

From Ontario Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page