What has octane Oscar recommended for The IS 300? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

What has octane Oscar recommended for The IS 300?

89? 91?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Lexus recommends using whatever premium is in your area. You will get the best performance from that. Lower octane will cause the ECU to start pulling some timing if it senses any knock.

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 110 Post(s)

I use 89 oct and have for 10 years in my DD IS300. That said, most consumers use 87 or 91. Which means the fuel sitting in the 89 oct tank does not get refreshed as often as the others do and that means the fuel may be less than 89. I stop at a truck stop that gets a lot of traffic where I live. When I go to a smaller local gas station, within 20 miles I get a CAT code. I suspect my fuel trims need to dump fuel and that heats up my CATs and trips a code. New gas will resolve the code. A little seafoam help too.

I average 23-24.5 mpg on every tank. Mostly hwy driving. 21-22 city and my engine has 262,000 miles on it. AMAZING!

The "premium only" label is there for CAFE standards to maximize fleet mpg. The compression ratio is at 10:1 and knock sensors will keep the enigine safe. I wonder if the new is350 with 11:1 compression can handle 89 octane safely?

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you

Last edited by IM QUIKR; 04-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)

i believe my fuel door says 'premium fuel only' the highest we have here is 91. buy whatever is 'premium' in your area

before my base 94 toyota pickup got stolen all i put was 91 in it. there was a thread on NorCalDrift (which i believe is no longer around), where a guy logged his fuel MPGs between 87/89/91. his ae86 actually was cheapest with 91. his reasoning was that the car doesn't use as much 91, combine that with feather footing and he was able to save a little money between fill ups that add to a substantial amount in the long run. it went on to say that not all cars are like this and you will have to experiment with your own vehicle.

with that being said (and off topic) your driving style is the biggest factor in fuel consumption, IMO.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Loyalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Just run 91.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page